Author Topic: Imperial-I Star Destroyer  (Read 85518 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: Imperial-I Star Destroyer
If you manage to kill them, Darth Vader comes out with his limited range beam cannon (aka lightsaber).

Damn.  :mad2: Our direst of secrets is out. Whose computer have you hacked to know that? Or did someone leak it out on purpose? I sense a conspiracy. :P
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then I type www.freespace2.com really really fast and hit ~+i
Use the Force.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Use the Force.
He'll just use the force to crush my fighter a la Star Wars Empire at War
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You see, www.freespace2.com shouldn't have a scientific explanation

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
On the topic of system requirements, lurn to turn the dumb detail levels down.  D'uh!!!  That's what they are for, ATM they'd prolly let you run this on an old 233Mhz without MVPs (IDK about that, though).

On the topic of flying into the ISD's hangar, not a good idea... AFAIK, all big ships have huge turbolasers inside the docking bays, to deal with either that scenario, or a treacherous ship trying to escape, or e.g. in SW ep I where Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan's ship was blasted.  No, you don't want to fly into the hangar... oh, and remember when the Millenium Falcon got towed into the Death Star?  Wasn't there turbolasers there?  How they got away?  Well, Obi-Wan shut down the reactor for that sector, remember?  ;)  (At the very least, they'd engage the tractor beams to hold you pointing out the door whilst they sortied the cheapest TIE they could find to serve you a humiliating defeat.  xD)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
*sigh* so many inaccuracies...

No one said they wanted to fly into the hangar themselves, they just want a dock to put something there that belongs there.

The Falcon did not get away because of him shutting down the turbolasers.  If I remember, I believe the generator was only for the tractor beam, and not the turbolasers.  On top of that, they were allowed to escape, so I'm guessing the empire could have used more force to stop them if they'd wanted to.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The reac was for the tractor beams.  :P  I just assumed it also powered the turbolasers... I mean, unless they just had a dedicated reactor for the tractor beams in that sector or something.  :lol:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
:wtf: Why would you have a turbolaser in the hanger? It'd be too easy to take control and kablam the ship from the inside out, then. The reactor was definitely for the tractor beams.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:wtf: Why would you have a turbolaser in the hanger? It'd be too easy to take control and kablam the ship from the inside out, then. The reactor was definitely for the tractor beams.

Hmm, that might actually be a worthwhile tactic, if it wasn't for the ease of flying a gunship into the hang--- wait a minute.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Almost done

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, this model's just about done the base mesh now.  All I need to do is add the grappling claw, and then I'll be able to start texturing, then I can just put in my LODs and destroyed submeshes and voila, we're done!

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

G R E A T  Work!  I can´t wait to blow it up... :D

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I hope you have it backed up, because that's too valuable to lose.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I can't wait to put it into a mission and see it ingame. Even without textures, I can imagine it flying about, launching TIEs.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I can't wait to put it into a mission and see it ingame. Even without textures, I can imagine it flying about, launching TIEs.

and then dying from a BFRed and multiple Maras with Seraphims.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
and then opening up a 30 turbolaser broadside on a mon-cal cruiser.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline aRaven

Even the proportions are on!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Even the proportions are on!

OMG Someone get this man a cookie!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That's one great looking Stardestroyer! It's even "low-poly" enough for a game and not show it! Add some normal maps and it will blow ever model in every game ever to grace Star Wars out of the water, with enough firepower to spare, to give us a suntan down below.

One thing I noticed was that unlike fractalsponge's model your's bridge is parallel with the spine of the ship while his bridge was parallel with the wedge's spine....I think your's better. (The guy made a hi-poly model and Lucasarts "appropriated" it for their "Force Unleashed" trailer).

How much of what you've added to the Mark I will carry over to the Mark II? ...will the Mark II have a different trench armament? Final question: how much *more* detail will normal maps carry?
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah, I chose to keep the bridge looking forward, sources differ on which is correct but I like it straight ahead.

The Mk. II is at this point a separate mesh.  It will be greebled separately and pretty much be a completely different model on the same shell as the ISD I, so yes the armament will be different.  Most of the stuff in the normal map will be adding texture to the large flat areas, though the greebles will get some extras too.