Author Topic: Stats saving with no clients?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Stats saving with no clients?
I was just doing some testing running debug build on both host and client to see if some errors where fixed or not.  Anyway I logged in to FS2netD twice and started a game.  Client side crashed so I figured I'd just alt-j the host instead of escaping.  To my surprise stats were saved successfully.  Nice 0 kills, 0 shots fired, 0 everything except time mission.  I thought there was a built in safety that stats would only save if there was at least one player left at the end of a game.  It was to prevent cheating.  Basically the host starting a game and kicking all the clients to get all the kills and stats for himself.  Same reason there is the stats will not save message if you try to start a game yourself.  Has this been removed on purpose?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Stats saving with no clients?
It will save stats if the game started with more than one person, even if there is only one person left when it comes time to save stats.  After all, it would suck to play a game only to have your stats tossed due to no fault of your own, only because the person you are playing with got their connection dropped.  The FS2NetD code has always done this, and the old PXO code does the same thing.  Also, the old PXO code does nothing to prevent/handle a  host kicking all clients to get the stats either.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK then no problem.  I could have sworn that PXO would not save stats if the host was the only one left.  Either way I like it better this way as long as people don't abuse it somehow. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
There are far easier ways to cheat than by exploiting this particular issue.  This is an open source project after all, so it really doesn't take a lot of effort to bypass all of the cheat protections.  :)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
True.  Guess I just remember some of those get ahead any way possible players that helped ruin PXO.  That was one of the downsides to stats in the first place.  Another was finding people to test missions that weren't validated.  Only plus side was those people that were playing for stats were the ones on all the time. 

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Cheaters, if found out, will just need to be reported and they'll be banned.  At the very least their account will be suspended and the fact that they are a cheater will be boldly displayed on the FS2NetD website.  And if it actually comes down to it they will be IP banned as well.

Offline Shade

That's good enough for me. And it's nice not to lose score because a client legitimately lost his/her connection :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I just have to remember to not alt-j when testing against myself.