Author Topic: EVE Online's learning curve  (Read 7945 times)

EVE Online's learning curve
I have an inquiry about EVE Online.  I played the free trial a few years back, and all I remember about the game is that it took me about 6 hours to get through the tutorial and I only understood basic stuff.  Im debating downloading it again and giving it a try, since Ive acquired a little more patience over the years, and the idea of a universe like EVE's has always interested me.  The other threads here have answered some questions, but what I really want to know is if there is a good game lurking once I get started, because I am more than willing to grind past the curve if it means getting the nuggety center.  If this IS the case, what makes it good, and if not, what makes it bad?  Any input is appreciated   :nod:

Note: For those of you wondering why I dont just download it and see for myself, I am for the moment stuck with a 56k modem, and downloading the client would probably take about a week, so I want to know if its at all worth my time  :doubt:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: EVE Online's learning curve
Uh, wow. Can you even play EVE with a 56k? At all? It seems dubious.

The learning curve is very steep. My brother played for several months and seemed to get into it, however, largely on the strength of joining a player-run corporation and getting into some PvP. I believe he eventually quit for cost reasons, not because he was displeased.

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
56k? you would be just on the edge of lagging with a 56k, of course it depends on the game or server requirements. For something like EVE i would imagine at least 512kb upload connection for the best connection, your better off when your upload speeds are the greater for better internet experience.

As for EVE, it's not really my cup of tea, it takes too long as a game and as said the cost requirements are out of range after a while of playing the game. However if you like it their is nothing stopping you playing the trial, its their to give you a chance to play, so nothing is gained or lost in the process :).
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I play EVE, and I still think this is a quite apt demonstration of the game's learning curve.

Or rather, cliff.

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I was under the impression it wasn't so much a curve as much as a learning line...

Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Also, I think it says quite a lot of the game itself if the Tutorial takes about 3 hours at least, and one really really should go through it.

I did try it back then... it was on open beta or something I guess. It was fun and all but I wanted more flying and not autopiloting.
Habeeb it...

Offline Al Tarket

obviously we all have our reasons why we stopped playing the game. however the whole entire game was built for the long run, not a normal action 1 day story line you usually get these days. Crysis, Bioshock, Thief: deadly shadows, Homeworld 2 & freespace etc.. with that said the general boredneess you get when playing this game can be mind blowing.

As someone who played this game for 4 months, do you know how bored i got sitting their traveling from system to system in between trading, upgrading, researching? there is absolutely nothing to do in between all of that. thats probably one of EVE's downside in general.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Unfortunately, Im almost positive that I would be lagging while playing it, but I can usually play most other games online bearably, and for this game I would spend most of my time either solo or with a friend. 

So, even after you get past the initial learning curve and have a basic understanding of the game, the only thing there is to do really is to research/upgrade your ship and mine?  I guess I shouldnt be surprised, since thats the basic formula for all MMOs.  However, I can imagine that it would take me a while to get established, and while Im willing to try and stick it out, a few months seems a little long  :rolleyes:  I guess ill give the trial a shot for a few days and see how it goes.

For those of you who have played it for a while, how long does it take you to get a fairly powerful ship?  Not anywhere near a destroyer or battleship, but something like a frigate or corvette (or EVE online equivalent).  Also, do ships get replaced easily?  I really dont want to get a ship that I like only to find another ship thats slightly better but costs twice as much.  :lol:

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I played for two semesters a while ago, but let my subscription lapse when I had to go back to 56k over summer break - it was barely playable, beyond basic login and skill switch. My then-roommate, who I got into it, is still playing - the player corp I got him into is doing some major 0.0 space pvp and mining operations, which is where the game gets really really awesome, and occasionally still good-naturedly cusses me out for getting him addicted.

As to the question re: ship replacement, that's not really a problem, assuming you have any cash in your char's reserve. if you get bombed, your insurance will almost cover a new ship, most of the time. the problem is replacing equipment... when belt-rats gank you and you lose t2 strip miners... oooh, boy.

Just make sure your clone is always paid up, and no loss should be too painful. As soon as the tutorial gives you access to the character sheet, start a skill training, and _always_ keep one going - leave a long-term skill when you log out. If you kind of like what you see in the trial, get into a player corp. That's where all the fun stuff comes from, and they'll usually have enough equipment to keep your starting-era low-end frigs and cruisers (skip destys. they're useless, esp. with the new starting level bump.) in good repair.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So, even after you get past the initial learning curve and have a basic understanding of the game, the only thing there is to do really is to research/upgrade your ship and mine?  I guess I shouldnt be surprised, since thats the basic formula for all MMOs.  However, I can imagine that it would take me a while to get established, and while Im willing to try and stick it out, a few months seems a little long  :rolleyes:  I guess ill give the trial a shot for a few days and see how it goes.

There's Factional Warfare and, most of all, PvP in the low-security regions of EVE, which is huge.

Go read the EVE Tribune (Google it); it's a weekly newspaper on the EVE universe's shenanigans.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

For those of you who have played it for a while, how long does it take you to get a fairly powerful ship?  Not anywhere near a destroyer or battleship, but something like a frigate or corvette (or EVE online equivalent).  Also, do ships get replaced easily?  I really dont want to get a ship that I like only to find another ship thats slightly better but costs twice as much.  :lol:

EVE PVE is described as very lackluster compared to most games, but I have no way of judging the veracity of that claim. Solo PVP is pretty close to dead because everyone else moves in groups.

The vast difference between EVE and other MMOs is that you don't do some stupid walk of shame or the like. If you go into combat, you're putting it on the line. If your ship gets blown up, it gets blown up. It's gone. You have to buy a new one. (Depending on circumstances, perhaps new equipment as well.) You can't truly run out, because noobships are free, but you can fall a very long way if you're not careful.

That said, as someone wise once told me, if you can fly a fast frigate and use a warp disruptor, you can PVP in EVE. You will die a lot, but you can serve a role, and frigates are cheap to replace. So is basic gear.

Drop by the channel "SGAM" if you have questions, I'll help if I'm there. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline Al Tarket

EVE PVE is described as very lackluster compared to most games, but I have no way of judging the veracity of that claim. Solo PVP is pretty close to dead because everyone else moves in groups.

I can, their is practically nothing except space stations, planets or the odd AI ship floating around. i have seen a few solo pvp's, as long as you keep the stakes high enough and keep each other interested, you would probably pvp for hours on end however you are right that many pvps these days are in groups and clans.

For those of you who have played it for a while, how long does it take you to get a fairly powerful ship?

About 3 days for the basic kit for a good frigate upgrade and the next step up, you need to research skills in order to even get the cruiser let alone the weapons you could be talking maybe 5-7 days for that. in between i would suggest you go rock hunting and mine up resources and if possible take the risk heading into pirate held asteroid zones the best stuff for a rookie would be their, also be aware you might need to improve your mining skills also.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
EVE sounds a lot like Freelancer...not that I'll give it a go, since I'm too busy...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Al Tarket

eve is boring, it takes days to play, freelancer is a 1 day game. so be it, if you dont want to play it, however it can be very fun sometimes using your mouse to control your ship :P an eagle, titan or sabre is good and coupled with some tiz's, nomad cannons, lasers and screamer mines your gonna be at the top of the food chain!.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EVE isn't much like Freelancer at all. It's way more complex.

Also, Al Tarket, you forgot about Factional Warfare -- which, while it's not exactly PvE, is distinct from the free-for-all PvP that occurs in low-security space.

Offline Al Tarket

what the corsairs vs mollies and gmg vs rhienland military? lol, i didnt forget. however if you are a newbie it would be a good idea to run cardimine as soon as you have a big ship to transport it in, then get a bribe off the dodgy looking bartender pirate at Rochester to make sure your safe albeit except the xenos. apart from the zones, the xenos hates everyone else!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I meant Factional Warfare in EVE. Factional Warfare in Freelancer is basically just manipulating some bars into the red or blue zones.

Offline Al Tarket

ok my bad. yeah you don't get to see much factional fighting in eve, there are so many systems, stations and players to get through along with jump points you barely notice it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wait, how would you know? They just released Factional Warfare this month, with the Empyrean Age expansion. (Is it even out yet? I'm not sure.)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Also, Al Tarket, you forgot about Factional Warfare -- which, while it's not exactly PvE, is distinct from the free-for-all PvP that occurs in low-security space.

Beg differ. For the first few weeks yes, it was different, somewhat, from deep-0.0 blob warfare. However, it isn't anymore. Combat is sporadic and involves large numbers of ships and large amounts of lag, resulting in the classic "10 hours of boredom, 10 seconds of sheer terror" pattern. The tools and tactics are identical now, and amusingly the FW groups are often able to go blow-for-blow with a deep-0.0 alliance; Red Alliance lost a player-owned station and two carriers to Caldari faction warfare people on the third day of FW.

In truth, if you want something different, you're out of luck. Your best bet is probably to hang around Syndicate and do nano-gang warfare, which is smaller in scale, but the days of single combat are really dead.

Though, if you're like me, you could always amuse yourself by doing things like the "Angry Carebears RAWWWWWR" op where you pull together a bunch of random people from empire space and storm the PF-346 gatecamp for the hell of it. :P

A Feddie Story