Author Topic: New Canon  (Read 6137 times)

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
will the upcomin CW movie and force unleashed game both be considered G-canon, and could that mean some changes in the universe?

discuss.

Edit by Brand-X: I fixed your topic.  I hope this topic is to be about how this will affect the mod, otherwise it'll be quickly locked.  This is not a general Star Wars discussion board.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:09:42 pm by brandx0 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
They'll be IMA CHARGIN MUH CANNON canon.

Edit:  Dammit brand
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The TV series will be called T-canon, one below G-canon.

Force Unleashed will be one more level below.

No problems here.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Zelvik

Is it realy relevant?

Not everything that is canon makes sense. Neither all parts of G-Canon nor the EU are all great. The problem with modern Star Wars is that there is so much junk assembled within its different canons that it becomes hard to pick out the enjoyable parts.

I for once have my own canon of what I consider a "good" SW universe.

It includes the original trilogy
The Zahn trilogy and parts of stackpoles work
Add to that my interpretations of what happened before ANH that I assembled for myself a long time before the prequels were released.

My SW universe is a dark dangerous place that is full of political intrigue and people shooting green dudes that point guns at them first.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As heretical to some as using the term may be in this forum, I infinitely prefer the way that Paramount handles the Star Trek canon to the goofy scheme that Lucas managed to cook up for the Star Wars universe.  The five Trek series and the ten movies are completely canon.  Everything else (except for maybe one episode of the animated series) is completely non-canon.  Authors are free to contradict each other and write about whatever part of the Trek-verse they want without worrying about mucking something up.  Trekkies can all sleep easy at night. The end. :p

On a more serious note, as one of my friends recently opined, I'm not really sure where the need for this new CGI series comes from, considering that Genndy Tartakovsky created a fantastic traditionally-animated series covering the same time period a few years back.  In my friend's words, "What, was the original Clone Wars not Clone Wars-ey enough?"

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
TBH, I don't think it'll affect the mod much, will it. Although the Clone Wars do preceed the FotG time period, most CW-era ships are no longer in service, except for V-Wings, Venators, Acclamators and Victories, and most of those ships are rear-line vessels, not front lines. And the Force Unleashed is a RPG, so I'm not sure if it'll have enough ships to effect the development of the mod.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Topgun

As heretical to some as using the term may be in this forum, I infinitely prefer the way that Paramount handles the Star Trek canon to the goofy scheme that Lucas managed to cook up for the Star Wars universe.  The five Trek series and the ten movies are completely canon.  Everything else (except for maybe one episode of the animated series) is completely non-canon.  Authors are free to contradict each other and write about whatever part of the Trek-verse they want without worrying about mucking something up.  Trekkies can all sleep easy at night. The end. :p
That's how we can have our X-Men with our Next Gen.
the above sentence is copyrighted.

Offline maje

I was planning on having some of those old CW era ships serve as part of other faction forces outside of the Empire and Alliance.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I was planning on having some of those old CW era ships serve as part of other faction forces outside of the Empire and Alliance.

So, they'd be milsurp used by small-time pirates/smugglers and the like? Would you then want the models to look all old and patched up a la the Falcon, only bigger? Cause that'd be cool...
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
I doubt pirates could lay hands on a Venator :lol:

Maybe some V-Wings or ARC-170s. Or gunships maybe.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
If Booster Terrik can get his grubby little paws on an ISD, then I completely buy some small-timers getting their hands on a thirty-or-forty-ish-year-old out-of-date defunct capship. It's not like anyone else is going to want the damned-up piece of carp, is it? Depending on how canon you want to take Zahn's descriptions of Clone-Wars era engineering, the likelihood of various ultra-hazardous chemicals being used in the engineering processes are pretty high, so I'd think that it'd be hard to find someone else (y'know, besides dangerous outlaw pirates or something) who'd want to have it.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
never forget, a ship could be 'lost' when subcontracted out for decomission, no?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Well, he did say small time pirates. For Venators and such, I'd expect them to be canabalized for parts, although, if you want to consider games as canon, in Forces of Corruption, the Venators were found in Hutt hands.

Offline maje

well, I was thinking that various rebel cells (not the Alliance as it is only being formed at this time) would be partial to different Clone Wars era ships, while local security/police forces would be getting the hand-me-downs of the Old Republic's fleet.  Namely, the Alpha Nimbus V-wings painted with blue police flight group markings.  Not sure about larger ships, but definitely the former CIS ships might find themselves amongst private armies, outlaw gangs, etc.  Even the Alliance had a few ships from the CIS in its early days, though they were probably either salvaged for parts or destroyed later on.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Well... If you are gonna add CW ships, there are quite a few, so it might be difficult sorting through the ones you'll want, but at the least you should have Acclamator Is, Venators, V-Wings and ARC 170s, cause those are the sort you might see in planetary militias. Maybe Eta-2 interceptors or Jedi starfighters too.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I'd just like to note that we have no plans of including these at the current time.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yea, I know. We're just speculating here. If some one decides to do a CW-era TC/mod, or if you guys get bored enough once FotG gets released :p

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Yeah, I just want to make sure that this thread doesn't go on too long on this topic so that when newbies come on by they think that the mod will include these things.  If you guys wanna keep on that topic I'd suggest you make a hypothetical requests topic.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Ah, I see you're point. Will do.

Saw the trailer, looks like some concept designer wanted to do a predecessor to the B-Wing as that ugly shuttle anakin flies bears some similarity to it imo.

But whatever, what exactly is the new canon anyway? SW history changes with each new movie release. I think people just gotta look at each story independently, that's why looking at the original trilogy without looking at the prequels is probably a good idea. Its of course supposed to be one 6 movie long story, but really it's not. It's two separate stories. Good to focus on one and get it right before even thinking about integrating the other.

I think its also worthwhile to exclude the newer stuff simply because there isn't that much behind it. In terms of the original trilogy, there's lots of supporting material in the form of novels, decades worth of books etcetera. So for anyone who wants to do new campaigns, there's lots to draw on like the Thrawn trilogy, or the X-Wing books, etcetera. There isn't that same base with the prequels.