Author Topic: Uber-geek convention  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
Uber-geek convention
Writing a weekly page about video games, one quickly becomes desensitised to the dark underbelly of society. So a few million portly teens choose to spend their spend time fighting elves in Azeroth rather than knock a ball around or read a book.

It certainly beats swigging cheap cider in the park. Of course some gamers can take it too far. I was once asked at a launch party about my favourite game by a Nintendo devotee dressed as Princess Peach.

The fact it was a man in his mid forties sporting a full beard and wonky teeth didn’t seem to bother the other attendees.

Why some gamers insist on dressing as their favourite characters baffles me. It’s called cos-playing and takes a similar form to Star Wars fans dressing up as Vader or comic book fans dress up as The Flash. Most of the time, I can take it.

But this was not the case last week when I ventured beyond the usual wigs and tights and into the dark heart of Mordor.

I was travelling 6,000 miles to San Diego, the home of Comic-con - Mecca to gaming’s fundamentalists and home of the uber geek.

What started as a festival for comic enthusiasts has grown into a highly commercial showcase for not only print but films, TV and, more recently, games. The festival now offers a catchall, driven by the increasing cross-over of the mediums.     

An open mind, I told myself, was essential. This was quickly put to the test when I found myself in the ticket queue behind a woman dressed as Lieutenant Wharf. And this wasn’t just a bit of face paint, but the full hit, with a full costume and head moulds. When asked to show her pass, she replied in what I can only assume was Klingon. This was going to be a long couple of days.

My Ghostbusters appointment, the reason for the trip, had been cancelled the previous night. Now it was up to me to find some news.

Fortunately, there was plenty of games on offer, but two stood out. First was Midway’s Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, a classic MK offering for the next gen machines with the addition of characters from the DC comics. Each character had a special move, with Superman giving it the full red beam from the eyes.

The next title of note was Saint’s Row 2, a real nasty piece of gaming from THQ boasting a completely revamped game engine. Like the original, the action takes place in a fictional Chicago gangland, with all the guns, cars and police chases of the previous instalment. What’s more, you can now use people as human shields, as well as maim with chainsaws, sledgehammers, flamethrowers and stun guns.

By mid afternoon, the costumes were starting to get me down. I had been forced to share a table at lunch with a man dressed as one of the Nazgûl.

Perhaps a bathroom break would provide respite from the hordes of Jokers, Jedis, Ewoks and Hobbits bustling around the main hall. Unfortunately this was not the case.

At the urinal I was flanked by two men dressed as The Borg. As I did up my fly one leaned over and whispered in my ear “You have been assimilated”.

Five minutes later I was in a taxi heading back to the hotel.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is due in the shops in November, while Saint’s Row 2 should be available in October.

i saw it in a newspaper today, copied word for word.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Funny how MK: Annihilation was touted as the last game in the MK line. Apparently people can help making another buck on an old story.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Uh ... what ?

I generally respect cosplayers for the work involved in making their costumes and for having the guts to put it on and strut their stuff in public. Except the cosplayers who simply buy ready-made costumes.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
i saw it in a newspaper today, copied word for word.
Why?

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
why? because it's news. do you have a problem with this? i see people write down news and they dont have problems.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'll never trust a borg again :shaking:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You should not trust the Borg

They are neither Random nor Hilarious.

Well, not at first, and not intentionally, anyway.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
They sound like cottagers from the above quote. "resistance is futile" runs away.
I'd like to see batmans "finish him" move possibly using his grapple hook in an amusing way?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Anyone who whispers into a strangers ear while at a urinal, deserves, and runs a good chance of (depending on alcohol levels) getting to take a bite of the urinal cakes.

I really generally don't have a problem with people doing what makes them happy, within limits, and while being far from popular back in school and liking Sci-Fi and such, I still can't help myself.

FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS!
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Saints Row 2 is by the same people who made Freespace 1/2: Volition.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Sounds a bit like my experience at FanExpo.  Was fun...but I was definitely the most normal person there.  Seriously! :)

I did pick up some Penny Arcade related stuff so that was good.

Sounds like that convention and this one have allot in common.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Uh ... what ?

I generally respect cosplayers for the work involved in making their costumes and for having the guts to put it on and strut their stuff in public. Except the cosplayers who simply buy ready-made costumes.

It's very simple.
        People who are in costume, especially with their face obscured by makeup have the power of being behind a mask and therefore don't really act themselves. They have an advantage over anyone who's not in a mask. It's natural for someone who's interacting with a bunch of people in costume to be a little put off. Someone in a sailor suit and someone behind a wookie mask or Vader mask are very different things. Because with the anime types you can generally see and interact with the person.

Like I was in Victoria (BC) and there was some douche bag walking around in a Vader mask with the Vader voicebox, pressing the buttons, and going up to people with "you can never know the power of the darkside" or whatever. Guy's a little dumbass.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
         Like I was in Victoria (BC) and there was some douche bag walking around in a Vader mask with the Vader voicebox, pressing the buttons, and going up to people with "you can never know the power of the darkside" or whatever.

Please tell me that someone clocked him afterwards. It doesn't even have to be true.

Like I was in Victoria (BC) and there was some douche bag walking around in a Vader mask with the Vader voicebox, pressing the buttons, and going up to people with "you can never know the power of the darkside" or whatever.

Please tell me that someone clocked him afterwards. It doesn't even have to be true.

It's possible. My parents and I were just waiting at the Bus Depot. And after he told us all about the Darkside he proceeded to walk up the road and into each and every shop, no doubt hitting his buttons. I'm sure someone gave him a whack at some point. I think it was a kid but it's hard to know.