Author Topic: Starfield mod  (Read 2611 times)

Hi,

first of all many thanx to the guy's who are responsible for this project as well as the people on Freespace 2 SCP. One thing that was confusing me watching all the FS2 mods was the boring pixel starfield. So I've created one that fits my taste and I wanna share it with others. See the difference and choose for yourself:

Original:

Modified:

Original:

Modified:

This 'mod' is a simple exchange of an image and should work for all FS2SCP projects, but I've tested it with The Babylon Project, so I post it here. The file can be found here: http://files.filefront.com/starfield+modzip/;11465895;/fileinfo.html. Just extract the ZIP in TBP folder, start the launcher and select starfield_mod in the MOD section.
The ZIP includes the GIMP file as well, so everybody can adjust the paramters for it's own taste (cloud intesity/color, star glow intensity).

Feedback is very welcome,

best regard,
blackhobBIT

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Hey Sorry but I cannot see the difference between them. What is new here ?
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Maybe it's my eyes, or the dodgy 5-year old CRT monitor, but I'm afraid I can't see any difference either :(

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Stars are brighter. In addition there's a more realistic effect...the stars seem "unclear" now...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

The difference are the stars, I've added a glow around'em, so they look smoother and bigger. Additionally I've added coloured clouds on top of the stars (besides the nebulas which are scene dependent). It may be possible that the differences are not visible on some monitors. I've created the changes on a 17" TFT, were they are visible very well. Maybe my changes need some enhancements to fit other peoples gaming environments.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I noticed the change only in the second set of pictures.

I wonder if you can improve the effect even more by adding more (little)stars to boost the Starfield. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Hi,

ok, I've increased the strength of my additions (on my home monitor things are darker than at work :-)) and added more new 'little stars' to the map, the result (comparable image with the first set above) is this:

The changed file (overwrite the old one) can be found here:

http://files.filefront.com/starfield0001tga/;11469538;/fileinfo.html

Maybe its to hardcore now, but this is a matter of taste ...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Looks cool now, pretty realistic looking.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

After playing the mission I think its a little bit too bright now. In any case, in contrast to the asteroid field, which is nearly black, I think a to light background doesnt fit to the whole visual, so I'm not sure how to proceed ...