Author Topic: What Would Have Happened...  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: What Would Have Happened...
Let's not forget Blue Planet. Although the Shivans still came in in the other dimension, they destroyed Earth and made the Vasudans extinct while killing off most of the Terrans and eliminating the GTA completely, unlike the canon events where Earth was not destroyed, only cut off.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What? This is about if the Shivans had never come.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
What? This is about if the Shivans had never come.

Fine.

I was just wondering...is Altair closer to Earth or Vasuda Prime?
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Go check the nodemap in the wiki.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt checks the Official Volition Node Map.

Perhaps the Vasudans might have discovered the Ancient technology of subspace tracking on Altair and use it to their advantage, although I don't know in what sense.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Altair was not explored at the time of the Great War... So maybe, pushed from Vasuda Prime and Aldebaran, hiding in a corner of the Altair system, a group of Vasudan scientists uncover some random Ancient tech and blow the Terrans straight to hell.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
ancient ruins where just.. well that as I understand.. ruins, so there's nothing important or technological on that discovery I guess.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Quote from: Rodo

also any species witch is designed to be an enemy of terrans is also bound to be vanquished and therefor it's armaments, ships and any other technology should be inferior to terran, just because we are terrans and because a story with a happy ending is mandatory for gaming developers world.
really a shame, what about a horrible HORRIBLE ending for terrans sometime ^^

Actually, in Star Control I/II (rereleased in open source as the Ur Quan Masters), Humans were basically as useful for their allies as Italians were during WWII. Basically, some race came to them and told them "Listen, boys, you've got evil mofos who wants to enslave the universe out there so we want you to join us into kicking their asses. That's not a question. So since your race seems too stupid to actually travel further than the Sol System, we're going to give you an handful of technologies in order to make you actually helpful. Somehow." So the humans join the Alliance as the second weakest race out of 8 for the Alliance, and even though they are pathetic at war they still you manage to drag two other races TO the hierarchy, the Vux because one of the Terran admiral made some kind of diplomatic gaffe (arguably, the Vux would have joined the Hierarchy without this), the Androsynth because humans enslaved them.

Basically, Humans are one of the worst race of this universe. But by the end of SC I, they are utterly crushed (as all the Alliance), banished on earth forever, and forbid to use any space travel.

One of the best space opera scenario I know of. Even better than FS.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:16:45 pm by Narwhal »

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
*snip*
Lies! Terrible and dreadful lies! How dare you allow such trash to spew forth from thy mouth, heretic! Humans are the beacon of hope, the shining light of truth in an ever darkening world of lies and heresy. Without the Emperor, humanity would have fallen into barbarism, turning on each other in mindlessness and idiocitiyness. Humans are meant to be the masters of the galaxy! Heed my words, heretic and seek forgiveness from the God Emperor!

Peace through overwhelming ownage of the Enemy!

Also, FS is the best in the universe! It is a holy relic wrought from the Hand of the Emperor Himself, to bring us His Holy Word, and His Holy Will, manifest in a manner easily understood by us unworthy beings!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Lies! Terrible and dreadful lies! How dare you allow such trash to spew forth from thy mouth, heretic! Humans are the beacon of hope, the shining light of truth in an ever darkening world of lies and heresy. Without the Emperor, humanity would have fallen into barbarism, turning on each other in mindlessness and idiocitiyness. Humans are meant to be the masters of the galaxy! Heed my words, heretic and seek forgiveness from the God Emperor!

Peace through overwhelming ownage of the Enemy!

Also, FS is the best in the universe! It is a holy relic wrought from the Hand of the Emperor Himself, to bring us His Holy Word, and His Holy Will, manifest in a manner easily understood by us unworthy beings!
Who, Goober?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, in Star Control I/II (rereleased in open source as the Ur Quan Masters), Humans were basically as useful for their allies as Italians were during WWII.

Funny, that's not really the way it was presented in the games. Human Cruisers were presented as the backbone of the Alliance fleets, and they actually are some of the better ships in the game because of their weapons; fire-and-forget nuclear missile, does four damage a shot, repeat several hundred times. It's not exactly pretty or subtle, but it definitely works. (In UQM the only ship I find to be more useful than the Crusier is the Spathi Eluder...and of course the Chmmr Avatar, but the Avatar is supposed to be an ultra-cheesy endgame weapon.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Well, I was pushing my point a little too much. By the end of the war, true enough, the Earthling cruisers were the backbone of the Alliance fleet. But still, they were not very good, and they were effective only by their sheer number (and because they had so much nuclear missiles in stock
Quote from: Starcon wiki
Humans fought bravely in the war, producing a relatively crude but numerous and flexible fleet that fought on multiple fronts, while also providing many officers and crew for allied fleets. Those who had chosen to maintain the Peace Vaults in the first days of the Peacekeeping Army were vindicated; even the Chenjesu were shocked by the total destructive power represented by the sheer number of the old alliances' nuclear warheads and the United States' half-finished orbital laser defense systems. Primitive as they were, refitted for ship-to-ship combat they became the reliable and ubiquitous weapons system of the Earthling Cruiser

Still, they did really major mistakes :
Quote from: SC Wiki
The speed with which Humans were thrust into such a perilous situation without even a basic experience in dealing with other sentient races may have contributed to such diplomatic blunders as the disastrous Human/Syreen crew exchange, an accidental human attack on an Arilou fleet, and the Great Insult that poisoned relations with the VUX. Nonetheless the Human industrial base became crucial in the war effort...

I said there were the like the Italians of WWII because they brought two new enemies to the Alliance (Androsynth, VUX), but for their skill, they're more like the Romanian in WWII : sheer number over quality (between 1/4 and 1/3 of the Axis troops on the Eastern front were Romanian I think).

While the cruiser is pretty effective to damage an Ur-Quan Dreadnough (until it can close in, then the Cruiser just go BOOM) or a Spathi Discriminator/Eluder,  there are few starships he will actually destroy : the VUX ship, provided he survives the ambush, and the Umgah Drone, except if the pilot is good (and lucky) with the retroreactors. It is supposed to be - and is - one of the weakest ship of the fleet.

I take a Yehat ship anytime over the Cruiser in SC2.  And an Eluder anytime against anything else.

Anyway, the Humans finally got crushed at the end of SC I 'of which I was talking about, although most of these events are only known in SC2). Too bad they manage to win again in SC 2 :/ I like the fact that it is almost compulsory to pilot a Pkunk (aka : the junkie of the galaxy) ship to destroy the final boss.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:17:29 pm by Narwhal »

Eh, not to devolve into a SC thread . . . but I think all the ships in SC had strengths and weakness, that was the general point. The Earth Cruiser is fairly good against the Umgah Ur-Quan because of its laser defence, but the Androsynths generally tear Cruisers apart for example.

I don't know if the general interpretation could stand really. Yes, the Terrans lost at the end of SC1 but that wasn't in the game. It was only a premise in the game of SC2, a story where the Terrans saved everyone's butts. So, I wouldn't say that the story is all that dissimilar. The SC1 manual ridicules the humans, but that's for the sake of humour more than anything else. The whole universe is very tongue in cheek.

People identify with humans because they're humans. Therefore it makes sense to give humanity some sort of pivotal role in all these stories.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:57:55 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
I was only trying to threadnap this topic on SC2 to be honest :)

Plus, the crew of my ship was mostly Sofixtis by the end of the SC2 campaigns, given I sold the humans as slaves to the Maulers (or whatever their name is).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:00:53 pm by Narwhal »

I was only trying to threadnap this topic on SC2 to be honest :)

Plus, the crew of my ship was mostly Sofixtis by the end of the SC2 campaigns, given I sold the humans as slaves to the Maulers (or whatever their name is).

Druuge . .. the "Mauler" is their ship. The 'throw a guy in the furnace' cannon.

Offline NickM

Well, there's Planet of the Apes...

AND B5's Minbari too!

nickm

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
An Eluder is a coward’s ship: it is designed by a coward, built by cowards, and flown by cowards. There are only two types of Eluder captains: the living cowards, and the foolish dead. The living cowards never meet face-to-face with a foe. The Eluder must wear its enemy down little by little. A common and effective Spathi tactic is to show the enemy the Eluder's butt while firing B.U.T.T. missiles at them.

:wtf:
-C

Offline Narwhal

• Campaign List Crusader
Well, perfectly true. Fits the Spathi.

You never played Star Control, did you ? You should.

Well, there's Planet of the Apes...

AND B5's Minbari too!

The Minbari may have beat the Earthers in B5 but humans were still pivotal to the story in nearly every respect.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
An Eluder is a coward’s ship: it is designed by a coward, built by cowards, and flown by cowards. There are only two types of Eluder captains: the living cowards, and the foolish dead. The living cowards never meet face-to-face with a foe. The Eluder must wear its enemy down little by little. A common and effective Spathi tactic is to show the enemy the Eluder's butt while firing B.U.T.T. missiles at them.

:wtf:

He who fights and runs away... :p
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story