Author Topic: supercharged lasers and 1/3 throttle  (Read 3562 times)

Offline aRaven

supercharged lasers and 1/3 throttle
I was reading the Stele Chronicles recently and was wondering if SWC would implement supercharged lasers?

And furthermore will the special 1/3 throttle settings of XvsTIE and XWA have importance in SWC?
It would be nice if it was implemented. The specific maneuverability plus on 1/3 could vary between craft. Let's say i.e. an X-Wing on 1/3 is more agile than an TIE Interceptor on 1/3, although the TIE Interceptor can "fly circles" around the X-Wing when both craft are on full throttle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:29:15 am by aRaven »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: supercharged lasers and 1/3 throttle
What is a supercharged laser?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Isn't that just fully charged lasers?
In Xwing, if the energy bank is full, it causes more damage than when the energy is almost empty.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
As for the supercharged lasers I don't know about their feasability in the FS engine, but I know that it's not really referenced anywhere else in the universe that I can recall.

The whole 1/3 throttle thing always seemed like a very last minute addition to game mechanics.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Yeah, I remember that stuff.
I personally like the supercharged lasers, because it meant a forcing you to focus on energy management a little harder (and kept you from running out of laser juice is you're careful).
The 1/3 throttle thing is a little wierd. I'd always just chalked it up to "the slower you go, the faster you turn" but that's not it since a 0% throttle you turned like a sick bus.
Sticking to the "WWII in space" theme, what is the throttle/turn ratio going to be? Will we slow down to turn, or speed up?

i donno if you've ever payed attention to the way the game turns ships, they can do a 180 and strafe around you at damn near full speed... as hard as i've tried, i've never been able to pull that off.

Offline aRaven

Yeah, I remember that stuff.
I personally like the supercharged lasers, because it meant a forcing you to focus on energy management a little harder (and kept you from running out of laser juice is you're careful).
The 1/3 throttle thing is a little wierd. I'd always just chalked it up to "the slower you go, the faster you turn" but that's not it since a 0% throttle you turned like a sick bus.
Sticking to the "WWII in space" theme, what is the throttle/turn ratio going to be? Will we slow down to turn, or speed up?

The low agility at 0% throttle is intended for balance...I always thought the system is really nice and gives more strategy to dogfights. For example I often had 2/3 throttle for more agility when there is more bandits around, and at 1/3 for a knife fight. I also love how the engine sounds differs depending on the throttle setting

It could be implemented so that as the more you move the stick in one direction, the slower the ship will turn automatically. The rate should be different from craft to craft. This will remove the constant throttle handling by the player!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:41:19 am by aRaven »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well, the thing is that it doesn't make any sense really.  If you slow down your turning radius will be tighter anyways, but your rate of turn shouldn't be affected.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The engine itself currently has you hardcode rotation times on every axis, that are the same regardless of speed.  So, as was said, at a lower speed you would turn tighter, but speed is still useful in combat.  This will not be the same as XvT, as we've said before.  Even if we do code in changes to that system, it won't be to make it more like XvT.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays