Author Topic: Mac "Chess"  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
A couple days ago I was at a friends house, and he had to do something for his sister or something like that. So he left me with his Mac to occupy myself. Being the bored person that I was, I decided to fire up a game of chess. It went fairly well; My strategy was able to take down most of their pieces while protecting my own. Around then he got back, but he wanted to see me finish the game, so I kept playing. But when I got the computer down to a single rook and his king, for some crazy ass reason, the rook turned invincible and the king turned invisible. It took both me and my friend a half an hour and all but three of my remaining pieces to beat the AI.

WTF? Why does the AI cheat like that? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The game is screwed.

Chess engines don't (and shouldn't) need to cheat to beat human players.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
It's funny, a simple strategy game and I've always had the most trouble with it, getting it to install and stuff... I reccomend you stick to RL, chess, when digital, tends to hate me. and you too, apparently

:nervous:

A couple days ago I was at a friends house, and he had to do something for his sister or something like that. So he left me with his Mac to occupy myself. Being the bored person that I was, I decided to fire up a game of chess. It went fairly well; My strategy was able to take down most of their pieces while protecting my own. Around then he got back, but he wanted to see me finish the game, so I kept playing. But when I got the computer down to a single rook and his king, for some crazy ass reason, the rook turned invincible and the king turned invisible. It took both me and my friend a half an hour and all but three of my remaining pieces to beat the AI.

The engine is so intelligent, it can't stand being defeated. It's called Pale Blue
And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

Now you know how the AI feels when humans use cheat codes.
-C

And this ain't no ****. But don't quote me for that one. - Mika

I shall rrreach worrrld domination!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't play; I watch it for fun. If you can turn computer voice on, try messing around. :drevil:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I remember I used to have a chess program that had ranked online play and a lot of players, and another that was single-player only but its highest difficulty setting was the most vicious AI I have ever played against (that didn't cheat, anyway); when I would get bored or frustrated I would log in on the one, join a game, then start a game on the other program with the AI set to whichever color I was playing online. I would repeat my opponents moves, then play the AI's as my own. I never lost. I came close a few times though. I wonder if anyone I played against was doing the same thing.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So you cheated on online chess... Unless of course you were playing in a Centaur server.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline WMCoolmon

I remember I used to have a chess program that had ranked online play and a lot of players, and another that was single-player only but its highest difficulty setting was the most vicious AI I have ever played against (that didn't cheat, anyway); when I would get bored or frustrated I would log in on the one, join a game, then start a game on the other program with the AI set to whichever color I was playing online. I would repeat my opponents moves, then play the AI's as my own. I never lost. I came close a few times though. I wonder if anyone I played against was doing the same thing.

That's awesome. I wonder if you ever played against anybody doing the same thing as you. :D
-C

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I wonder if anyone I played against was doing the same thing.

I wonder if you ever played against anybody doing the same thing as you. :D

Deja vu?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I have done that quite a bit--typically checkers or 4-in-a-row. It was hard finding a good engine using a 7-wide pattern... so many were 6 or 8 wide which made them incompatible with the game--and thus useless. All it took was a minute to setup--run medium difficulty to start, then advanced or expert later
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Cheaters and charlatans!

People like you should be thrown in jail!  :hopping:

Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Remind me to challenge Steven Hawking to a chess match.  :drevil:

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Remind me to challenge Steven Hawking to an online chess match.  :drevil:
Fixed

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
My brother tried fiddling around with an Atari 2600 version of chess on GameTap a while back.  He's no grandmaster, but he's at least decent in the game, so he figured he'd have a good shot of winning.  He must have had the game mode set on the hardest difficulty level, because that damn ancient AI obliterated him every time he played.  The most amusing part for the non-chess-playing me was watching the game screen flash psychedelic rainbow colors every time the computer "thought" about its next move.  Who knew those cartridges were so advanced? :p

Offline WMCoolmon

I wonder if anyone I played against was doing the same thing.

I wonder if you ever played against anybody doing the same thing as you. :D

Deja vu?

Oh the irony...
-C

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
My brother tried fiddling around with an Atari 2600 version of chess on GameTap a while back.  He's no grandmaster, but he's at least decent in the game, so he figured he'd have a good shot of winning.  He must have had the game mode set on the hardest difficulty level, because that damn ancient AI obliterated him every time he played.  The most amusing part for the non-chess-playing me was watching the game screen flash psychedelic rainbow colors every time the computer "thought" about its next move.  Who knew those cartridges were so advanced? :p

I don't want to be insulting, but the hardest setting in a chess playing game from a console from the late 1970's shouldn't be difficult. Most likely your brother wasn't as good as he thought, or he was having a really bad day.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Though you could have used a supercomputer to generate different games to cover most possibilities. If I was writing a chess game, I'd presimulate every game on every level so to speed it up overall.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

I don't want to be insulting, but the hardest setting in a chess playing game from a console from the late 1970's shouldn't be difficult. Most likely your brother wasn't as good as he thought, or he was having a really bad day.
Well, I never said he was good good, but it at least surprised him that he wasn't able to make any headway against the program.  I'll leave it to someone who actually understands chess and happened to play the thing themselves to determine how objectively difficult it really was.