Author Topic: Just another Valkyrie WIP  (Read 26602 times)

Offline Water

Re: Just another Valkyrie WIP
I'm not sure who's going to actually release theirs first, but if VA doesn't, Water you might have a look at his cockpit.
His is a lot blockier than yours, but it still looks hi-poly. Smoothing isn't everything, look at the Hercules or Loki.
Well, the cockpit/neck area is the part that looks correct smoothed (IMHO). PL_Harpoon's version also had the cockpit area smooth although the neck was very flat.

cb_valkrie.ani for me shows the cockpit/neck as mostly smooth except for the upper neck. So that part doesn't need to be blocky and could be said to have  :v: support.  :P   *
If I want super dooper smooth, I'll fly a Perseus. Valkyrie's should be blockyish.
Thing is, that the lods for the Perseus are labled valk. I'm guessing the Perseus was possibly aimed as a Valkyrie 2 at one stage. It's the only other fighter that has the wings cranked near the tips.

Of the two I like the top one better. I think it is possible to smooth the back a bit and have it look good, but think it does need to retain some sort of blockyness.

* Yeah I know viewers choice  :nod:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Blocky doesn't mean it has to have razor-sharp corners.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Water

Blocky doesn't mean it has to have razor-sharp corners.
agreed

Offline Water

Not quite there yet

Offline Topgun

looks good, but what are those humps on the engines :eek2:?

Offline Water

looks good, but what are those humps on the engines :eek2:?
That's the part that's not quite there yet.

Offline Water

Normal map and some wear  ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's looking great, albeit a bit... tan? Not a bad thing, it's just different hue than the mostly gray vanilla Valkyrie.

Normal maps could have a bit more depth on them, but not much.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Wow, it looks like a WWII fighter! Like an RAF Spitfire or something.

Really, really cool. :yes:

Herra's right, though: the saturation needs to come down a bit. From what I can see, it also looks like you need to darken the underside.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline peterv

What can i say... i'm impressed. :yes:
Just a small note: I think that the nose diameter should look biger than the diameter off the cockpit at the point where they adject. :)

Offline Solatar

Where'd the cockpit go?

other than that missing feature it looks freaking sweet. :yes: it doesn't just look hi-poly, it looks almost real.

heh, i'd be willing to play it now!
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Awesome!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Water

Thanks for the pointers  ;)

I'll sort out those problem areas. There is a cockpit but it will be fixed last.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
So who's valk will end up in the package, and will the other be available for download?

Gorgeous BTW

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
* blowfish sees the FPS indicator at the bottom of the screenshot

That's in-game already? :eek2:

Offline Water

* blowfish sees the FPS indicator at the bottom of the screenshot

That's in-game already? :eek2:
:nod:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I want it so bad now. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
lol that's in game? I thought that was a render for posterity

That's really amazing it looks great... although... I kind of wish it was a little shinier (more spec not a whole lot though). It looks like it has a coat of non-reflective paint.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It looks like it has a coat of non-reflective paint.

Which absolutely makes sense. Non-glossy surfaces have a lot of advantages over glossy ones. Mainly, reduced observability (glints don't catch enemy's attention) on visual range, and furthermore glints won't distract the pilots' ability to observe their surroundings.

If weight reduction is necessary or you just don't want to use paint, brushed metal surfaces are preferable to polished metal surfaces.

That from utilitarian viewpoint. I was never a fan of overly shiny glossy ships. Some parts, surely, but not the whole surface. Makes no sense at all. :ick:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.