Author Topic: Killing the engines  (Read 2042 times)

The latest in a long string of embarassing questions...

How do I "turn off" the engine glow effect?  My idea is to have a mission where the player can press a key and essentially shut down the fighter - including its engines - and "drift" (via use-ai) towards a specific waypoint to avoid detection.  I need to get those damn engines to stop glowing.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
sabotage the engine subsystem. as in, blow it up.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

sabotage the engine subsystem. as in, blow it up.

Won't that sort of, stop the "ai" from flying the ship to wherever it needs to go?

Right, I know about that, but I need the ship to still be able to MOVE - albeit in a straight line under AI command - but to move without engine glow.

Offline Solatar

Have the player point towards the target, turn on glide, THEN kill the engines?

That sounds like it would work, but my main issue is designing a SEXP that allows me to turn the engines on and off with a single keystroke (I picked the W key).  I'm trying the "every time" arguments to absolutely no avail!

This is the command I'm trying with great frustration to implement.  I have to be doing something wrong...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Here's a version using scripting. But it won't work until my next build.

Code: [Select]
#Conditional Hooks
$Application: Freespace 2
$Keypress: w
$On Key Released: [
local player = mn.Ships['Alpha 1']

--If player is alive
if player:isValid() then
local engine = player['engine']
--And player has an engine subsystem
if engine:isValid() then
--If the keypress hasn't been used
if not g_PlayerEngineHitpoints then
--Save current engine hitpoints remaining
g_PlayerEngineHitpoints = engine.HitpointsLeft
--Set engine hitpoints to 0
engine.HitpointsLeft = 0
else
--Keypress has been used, restore player engine hitpoints
engine.HitpointsLeft = g_PlayerEngineHitpoints
--Reset stored hitpoints
g_PlayerEngineHitpoints = nil
end
end
end
]
#End
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

This is the command I'm trying with great frustration to implement.  I have to be doing something wrong...

There is a good possibility you simply picked the wrong key to map it to. Key-reset is noticeably twitchy about how it reacts in repeating events with every-time. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Good call, it does seem to be just a problem with the 'w' key.  I think that this, plus the gliding option, will solve this issue, HOWEVER...is it possible to force the AI-controlled ships (i.e. my copilots) to use glide as well?  I want us all to go cruising through space in drift mode, no engine flames or exterior lights...

Ok, since I now know that AI can't use glide...how about this question:

By what means or program can I edit or REMOVE the engine flow from a specific ship?  My plan is now to have my copilots change ship classes midmission, giving them the illusion of drifting while the player actually does.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'd need to extract and edit the pof file and then swap it for one with no engine subsystem. Then you can use the change-ship-class SEXP to make this work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I ended up just using the custom thruster lines in the ships.tbl file, and leaving the bitmap lines blank.  This did away with all engine glow.  Then I used the change ship class trick.