Okay, let me go down the list here.
1) Nobody is being deceptive or asking for money under false pretenses. There is no conflict between the HLP main page and the Game Warden main page because the two sites are independent. They have separate administrators and separate donation accounts. Although we are "twin" sites, we are not joined at the hip, except for the fact that we reside on the same server.
2) Donations made at HLP go directly into Sandwich's account, whereas donations made at GW go directly (I assume) into MatthewPapa's account. The funds are never pooled together. Instead, Sandwich will periodically transfer money from his account to MP's.
3) The funds for HLP Carl came directly and exclusively from Sandwich's account. Since the accounts are not pooled together, and since we did not siphon money away from MatthewPapa, we did not contradict Game Warden's funding statement.
4) Therefore, the people who donated to MatthewPapa have nothing to worry about; no part of your donation was, or could have been, used for HLP Carl. The people who donated to HLP were notified (based on the web page that WMC indicated) that their donation may be used for community projects "and so on".
5) In no case will donations from either site ever be used for personal enrichment.
6) We don't expect HLP Carl to be paid off instantaneously. We'll ask each person for their contribution upon (or before) their turn in line. Eventually, it'll be paid off. And it's worth noting that most of the HLP Carl donations have been greater than $10.
7) I agree with the free vs. paid participation argument, in general. However, HLP Carl was never free from the beginning, because even with a GI Joe action figure, postage costs money.