Author Topic: HLP invaded by Carl!  (Read 28709 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We could add your name to the HLP Carl exchange list, and send it to you. :)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Nah, I don't want anything to do with a $272 thing that doesn't belong to me and I could lose or break :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I'd rather have hard-light for three months than a plastic toy.

Did the money for this come out of the HLP Server fund?

If so, this seems like a colossal waste of three hundred odd dollars. I'd much rather see the $330 I donated a few months ago go to keeping the site alive for a little longer than go to making a 6 inch tall piece of plastic that I'm never gonna see.

EDIT: my opinion got ninja'd by Dekker!

It's an investment, see.  We talked it over among the admins before we decided to purchase it.  We'll be using it for the HLP Carl exchange -- as mentioned -- as well as for other promotional stuff.  Think of it as the HLP Mascot.  If we ask for a donation whenever somebody wants to use it, then once it's circulated among enough people, it'll be repaid.  And afterward, surplus Carl donations will go to the site fund.

Keep in mind that we have a rather sizable balance remaining in the site fund, even after the model purchase.  Several people mentioned that they'd like to see the money used for something beyond just the routine server bills.  Well, this is one of those things.  None of the money is going into the admins' pockets; it's all going to HLP one way or another.

I agree with Dekker and Turey. I've had a recurring subscription going for the last two years that's donated $80. I was told that the money I donated would be used for server hosting, not so that people could buy toys with other people's money.

There was no guarantee that the Shivan toy would ever even earn back the money that was spent on it. Furthermore, none of the people who donated to the HLP hosting fund were even informed that the money that they donated was going to be used for something different than they were told it was going to be used for.

I've canceled my subscription, and I absolutely do not plan on donating to HLP in the future. I will not donate to an organization that I can't trust.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The timing of your post is just a little bit convenient, WMC. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, as we've said before, the funds go towards HLP, not toward any particular person.  This is not some "toy" that people are playing with.  This is something meant to benefit the HLP community as a whole.

And the funds are not limited towards server costs.  That's what they're primarily used for, but we're trying to think of ways we can use the funds to benefit the community that are a little more tangible than paying for the server every month.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I'm going to see what I can do about donating a few more dollars now.

EDIT: Oh well for now--I can't. I'll see what I can do about it in the coming weeks. I support Carl. :P
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline WMCoolmon

The HLP donation page does state:
If the community donates much more than HLP needs, we'll just turn it around and use it for the community by arranging competitions with real prizes and so on.

My subscription was with MatthewPapa, who states:
When you donate to Game Warden, you are directly supporting the mods hosted here. Donations go DIRECTLY and ONLY to server usage fees. No one here makes any money. It every penny is used to support the projects hosted here. Bandwidth is not cheap!

Fury states:
MatthewPapa owns the server and pays the expenses. Both communities admins will do their best to ensure that financial situation stays on green and proper running of the server can be ensured. Both communities had a donation drive earlier, all the donations we have received will be used to pay for the monthly expenses.

So the money I donate to MP, under the auspices of it going "DIRECTLY and ONLY to server usage fees" is being used to provide the excess that HLP Carl was bought with.

Furthermore, based on this thread, about 16% of the money taken out of the hosting fund for HLP Carl has been paid back (Assuming you, Galemp, and CP all paid $10 and the $15 donation from watsisname). So the next time funds get low, and MP asks for a donation to go "DIRECTLY and ONLY" to server fees, $200 of that could be from buying HLP Carl. If all of the people who said they were interested when participation in HLP Carl was free, had donated, you'd still only have 50% of Carl paid for.

It's been my experience that people are a lot more willing to participate in things online that are free, than when somebody takes that free thing and says they have to pay for it. You should've expected people's interest to decrease, not increase, when you required a donation for them to participate. Even if the action figure would be a Shivan rather than a GI Joe - you should always be conservative when dealing with other people's money.

Finally, you should absolutely not have MatthewPapa asking for donations under one set of pretenses when the money is being used for another.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, let me go down the list here.

1) Nobody is being deceptive or asking for money under false pretenses.  There is no conflict between the HLP main page and the Game Warden main page because the two sites are independent.  They have separate administrators and separate donation accounts.  Although we are "twin" sites, we are not joined at the hip, except for the fact that we reside on the same server.

2) Donations made at HLP go directly into Sandwich's account, whereas donations made at GW go directly (I assume) into MatthewPapa's account.  The funds are never pooled together.  Instead, Sandwich will periodically transfer money from his account to MP's.

3) The funds for HLP Carl came directly and exclusively from Sandwich's account.  Since the accounts are not pooled together, and since we did not siphon money away from MatthewPapa, we did not contradict Game Warden's funding statement.

4) Therefore, the people who donated to MatthewPapa have nothing to worry about; no part of your donation was, or could have been, used for HLP Carl.  The people who donated to HLP were notified (based on the web page that WMC indicated) that their donation may be used for community projects "and so on".

5) In no case will donations from either site ever be used for personal enrichment.

6) We don't expect HLP Carl to be paid off instantaneously.  We'll ask each person for their contribution upon (or before) their turn in line.  Eventually, it'll be paid off.  And it's worth noting that most of the HLP Carl donations have been greater than $10.

7) I agree with the free vs. paid participation argument, in general.  However, HLP Carl was never free from the beginning, because even with a GI Joe action figure, postage costs money.

Offline WMCoolmon

Clearly I got the process wrong, then. :)

I'll leave this up to the HLP Fund folk and HLP Carl people, then.
-C

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
On a note for my future donation: I need to get my finances in line. Need to open debit and checking, as well as get a job. Firedog or GeekSquad are better choices than McDonalds or Burger King.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
 :bump:

Finances relatively in-line. Has anything happened with this?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Indeed it has.  Still in progress, though.  Galemp is getting it next.  Stand by for more information. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What's the possession / visitation headcount at :) ?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's being held up at it's current location for a very important reason.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
It's being held up at it's current location for a very important reason.
Until Dec 7, I assume?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken