Author Topic: Learning Java  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'm taking an AP Java course this year in school, but there's only one programming teacher on campus and she doesn't teach. What's the best way to teach myself Java short of enrolling in more classes somewhere else?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Read "Java 2 for Dummies"

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
how can she be a teacher if she does not teach? i thought that was a prerequisite.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
heh... sadly, it's not

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Figure out what you need to know for the class and make a program using it. For the Java class I took, that was mostly classes, polymorphism, inheritance, methods, variables, arrays, strings, loops, control statements, return values, references, AWT, Swing, recursive functions, and basic file I/O. Also key built-in things like MouseEvents, ActionEvents, Graphics type and drawing using it, vectors and other list types. Multithreading would also be a good start. We didn't cover exceptions very much IIRC, but they are a critical part of the language and would be good to learn (They're absolutely vital, really).

According to one of my math professors during lecture, Nobody ever taught anybody anything.
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
<quote>According to one of my math professors during lecture, Nobody ever taught anybody anything.</quote>

I'd most certainly agree with that, to be honest, particularly in a University environment, you shouldn't be taught, really, you should more be given guidelines towards what you need to learn. Unfortunately, a lot of studying I've encountered involves, in essence, teaching people the answers to the exam questions, which isn't really the same as learning the subject.

Well if you ever need any small assignments to make just let me know... learned Java a year ago have alot of the small assignments still

But well to be honest the thing ive got the most out off while learning Java is just making a decision to make a program that can do somthing specifik and then find out how to do it... the best "tool" to learn Java seems to be www.google.com since almost evrything have an reply there...

if you ever get any problems with somthing not working as intended or stuff like that ask away (hopefully with source code attached :P)

Sincerly
HE

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Yes, I'm sure I want to reply....

I too, am learning Java, but just from a learn java book.  I am only on the second program, and already can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Can you tell me why this is giving me an "else without if" error?
Code: [Select]
// get input
import javax.swing.*;
//class name
public class Password
{
    //main method
    public static void main (String[] args)
    {
        //here's the input
        String input;
        //where you type
        input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("What's the password?");
        //see if it's right
        if(input.equals("opensesme"));
        {
            //it's right!
            System.out.println("You may pass.");
        }
        //but if it's wrong
        else
        {
            //it's wrong
            System.out.println("You chose ... poorly.");
        }
    }
}
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Remove the Semi-Colon from the end of the If statement, that's what's causing the problem :)

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Yep, that's it, thanks.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.