Author Topic: GR-75 Medium Transport  (Read 8155 times)

Offline maje

GR-75 Medium Transport
I decided to post what I've got on this guy so far.  The redo is going well enough, with a poly count only around 5200 tris so far.  Expect that to jump when the forward cargo bay and engine assembly gets modeled, and then all those little cargo modules.

Which, by the way, does anyone have any ideas for the cargo modules?  I was thinking of making them seperate models until I realized how many of them are bound to the hull which would have an insane amount of docking points to worry about.  I suppose I could try custom "arrangements" of cargo modules grouped to the hull if need be.  I really do want to make the transports seem different from one another if at all possible.

Also, I've heard of a GR-45 Transport that's basically a smaller version of the GR-75, and that this was seen in the ANH special edition in the Mos Eisley sequence.  Are there any actual physical differences (ie number of engines, protrusions, etc.) other than being tan?

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
All I could find was this.

And, this is a dang nice looking GR-75.  It does look a little excessive on the smoothing though, but maybe anything less would look bad the way all those details are cut into the hull like that.  I think it'll be the best GR-75 ever put in a game.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I think perhaps the polycount might be a bit high considering the scope of the model.  It is, after all, only a transport.  It seems that once you put the cargo modules in it'll rival the ISD for polycount, perhaps even exceed it.

As for the cargo modules, I think one configuration is enough.  Once again, it's not as if the actual placement of each module will affect us much I don't think.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It depends on whether you want the cargo modules to function as actual deep-space cargo units, I think. You'd only need a separate POF if the Gallofree was docking with the cargo in-mission.

If you only want two states 'full' and 'empty' then you can just do the cargo as a submodel (or many submodels) and set them to be destroyed if the thing is empty. If you do lots, you can set them as untargettable, or even as destructable so they can be blown up in combat.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You can compensate your polycount by using of LODs in a clever way. Even if you reach a such a high polycount, there won't be more than two or three of these things on screen, and not all of them will be on LOD0. I'm more preoccupied by such polycounts on fighters.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline maje

Well, I thought that the average fighter polycount was around 5000-7000 tris, and thus larger ships were afforded higher polycounts which you can than manage LODs and Detail boxes.  That and the GR-75 is about 3/5ths (90 meters) length of a Corellian Corvette, so it's a bigger ship than say a Lambda-class shuttle.

Was there any specific polycount range in mind for transports?  I mean, the old Nebulon-B Frigate is 12129 tris and that's a 300 meter ship.

I'll see about what I can do to reduce poly counts later after the GR-75 is done.

I do like Galemp's idea on how to handle the cargo pods.

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Looking over the post again, my mental math was completely down (I was very tired, hehehe)

Anyways, yeah the polycount is fine in retrospect, I dunno what I was thinking last night hehe.  I've been a bit out of sorts lately.

And I like Galemp's idea as well.

Carry on.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You may want to do some sort of combo.  Some via dock points and the rest as submodels.  That way you could still do cargo loading/unloading missions for some while the others are fixed.  Who would want to fly around while the whole thing is loaded anyway? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline maje

Update time.  Here are some examples of cargo pods to be bound to the hull.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
All very nice..

Keep up the good work :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline maje

more......

This time, updating the engine assembly.

6653 tris btw.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lookin pretty awesome man.  I like the render settings too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I can see a couple problems with the smooth groups, but I always save those for last anyways, maybe you do the same.  Otherwise looking fine.

Offline Shade

Looking real nice. I agree with Fubar though that having at least a couple of the containers attached via dockpoints would be a good thing. Your FREDders will thank you, as it opens up many more ways to use the ship.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

All I could find was this.

And, this is a dang nice looking GR-75.  It does look a little excessive on the smoothing though, but maybe anything less would look bad the way all those details are cut into the hull like that.  I think it'll be the best GR-75 ever put in a game.

Hi, non-modeler here with a question/suggestion.

Won't the effect of the (extreme?) smoothing be lost anyway when the hull is textured and normal mapped anyway, negating the point of it being so smooth in the first place?

That's it. Feel free to call me a moron or something, I just wanted to put that out there.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Nope, smoothing is supported in the FS2 engine. Try taking a look at some models with textures turned off, in PCS, Modelview or the ship lab.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I must commend Maje for this, it's one ship I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole ;)

Offline maje

Sorry there haven't been any updates to this, I've been on vacation for Anime Weekend Atlanta.

On a side note, I took a look through the Star Wars Complete Locations cross-sections book at a Barnes & Noble, and came across a slew of new ships that were never seen in great detail.  The biggest additions come from the Mos Eisley section which shows the GR-45 (and there is a major difference in the rear detailing such as only one primary extrusion in the center where the command pod sits; all others are removed), some of other misc. transports and a NEIMODIAN shuttle craft.  Now I have no idea if the Neimodian shuttle was in the 1997 ANH 20th ann. edition or what.  It may have just been a nod to the prequels.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Is Mos Eisly the best place to find details on ships?  It's mostly a smugglers port and they like to do modifications after all.  They may have modified the ship to make it go faster or hold more cargo. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

good point.

and just ignore prequel stuff if you can. it's a load of crap.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!