Author Topic: Standalone test servers  (Read 8063 times)

Re: Standalone test servers
The thing is the machine running the standalone is a machine I used to play online.  I don't want to modify it just for the standalone or I would have done so already.  Even if your VP is setup correctly it would still find all of my stuff in the data\missions folder. 

If it is in the FSPort folder it only gets used when a mod uses FSPort. When FSPort is not being used then all missions will work normally. It doesn't replace anything, just makes it so the game doesn't use the missions from Multi-Mission-Pack.vp, MV_Complete.vp, and Root_fs2.vp when the FSPort MOD is active. I suppose the side effect would be that when you are running FSPort as a player you can't chose a mission from any of the 3 VPs I mentioned earler...

Anyway it's no big deal, just though I could bash out a quick fix that doesn't mess anything else up so you could run your server with no password and not have it crash... =)
-- I'll be back before you can say antidisestablishmentarianism...

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Revision of the standalones and the password for the FSPort server changed to r5032

You know this password thing might be useful to get people to look here for important information before joining.   ;7
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline ShivanSpS

ups i forgot to change the pilots before trying the fsport server i now the server removed every non-fsport ship from my kill list :S bah anyways...  :hammer: :headz:

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
fubar can you explain how to set up a machine to run standalone is it just plug it in and run the standalone box in the launcher......;

is there any way to put this on a server?

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yes that is pretty much all there is too it.  You can put some options in the multi.cfg to make your life easier.  I use:

+datarate         1000000000
+pxo      #Eleh
+pxo_login   BDHR-Standalone
+name      BDHR After Hours Club-FSPortMVP

for all my servers.  Just change the +name to whatever you want.  The +pxo_login isn't necessary unless you use a different login for your server then you do for your player.  There is also a password option but I use the same one I use for my pilot so it's not necessary. 

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well I manged to get that computer up and running today.  I removed all the non FSPort missions from the server.  I can't guarantee the server won't die since I still have no idea what the heck is going on with it.  Replace the vid card, power supply, and then the onboard lan was dead so I had to disable that and install a card.  Anyway no more password needed. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well it didn't even last the night.  Must be the motherboard.  I'll order a new one on Monday and see if I can have it back up in a week or so.  Of course I'll have to order a new vid card and memory as well.  Hopefully the processor is still good. 

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Possibly getting net upgraded to 25mbps, would hosting standalone on a B-Grade Toshiba Portege suffice?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Probably.  I don't think video matters for standalones so as long as it can run the launcher it should work.  What's the memory and processor like? 

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Probably.  I don't think video matters for standalones so as long as it can run the launcher it should work.  What's the memory and processor like? 

Kind of early 2000-2003-ish specs, runs Zeta mvps

Processor: 1.1ghz
RAM: 496 (Shared with video card... yes I knoe, it IS that bad)
On XP btw

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Should work then.  I used to run FS2 on a P3-866 and probable still could.  Actually that is what I build that computer for to run FS2.  Could host 6 or 7 and that limit was only due to ISDN not the speed of the computer.  Not sure if the launcher will run on it though.  It errored out in ME before I upgraded to XP.  Haven't really tried it since. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Updated the build to r5052. 

Memory just arrived today for the FSPort server so hopefully I'll have it back up in a couple of days.  MB swap is easy.  MB swap in a rackmount case that can't be pulled out all the way isn't quite as easy. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I've reverted to r5032 due to frequent crashes in the newer builds. 

The FSPort server is still not up.  Finally started putting it together today and wouldn't you know it they sent me the wrong memory.  At least everything else is in the case and hooked up. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Standalones are back up and running r5083. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The MediaVP and FSPort Standalones are now running R5106.  Due to the backward compatibility issue I have put a password on them.  Its simply 5106.  Download that build (or a newer one) from the Knightly builds forum.  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,173.0.html

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
All now at RC1.  TBP running RC1 Inferno. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Updated to RC2

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Updated the servers to RC3.  Please use RC3 and only RC3 if you are using them.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
 :bump:

Big bump here.  Been awhile since a major change.  All standalones are now running 3.6.12 RC2 Inferno builds.  You will need to be running at least RC1 Inferno to see them.  RC2 (or newer if you build your own) is preferred of course.  

Again a note that Inferno and standard builds cannot see each other and 3.6.12 and 3.6.10 can't see each other either.  

*First post updated as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:19:24 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »