Author Topic: Portal: Prelude  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
Portal 2 is supposed to be, in essence, the canon Portal: Prelude. It follows what happened before GLaDOS warmed up her neurotoxin emitters.

Where'd you hear that? Er...
Spoiler:
Cave Johnson is dead in that casting call. He's been digitized. This could place it anywhere in the timeline.

It's up.

Do you mean the other type of spoiler tag?
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.

No. The mod is up.

:blah:

Actually the spoiler tags rank higher on my list of desires for the moment, since for some reason Portal's become extremely slow on my computer.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
I'm at room nine.

The only reason it's hard is because you have to fight the controls in order to pull off that ridiculous crap.
::EDIT::
I hereby declare that this mod sucks.
No kidding.

I wanted to like it, really I did... Portal The Flash Version's Map Pack was sooo good, surprisingly so.  This one, from the trailer and previews looked like it could have blown TFVMP out of the water...

But then I get to room 2.  Heck, room 1 was a bad sign -- a puzzle should not be only solvable by quickloading many times.  Shoving the player into a 'surprise you're dead' situation that quickly is just bad design.  Upon further scrutiny, ok, the turrets were vaguely visible through the frosted glass... but even then it's quite a trick to survive, and seriously, on the FIRST level?

I guess I'm thankful that the first few rooms were so bad, instead of me investing my time and getting all the way to, say, 15 before hitting a horrible unforgiving puzzle.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wow, the ending sequence is pretty impressive. :D

Overall, I enjoyed the mod. Not as much as the original portal, but the difficulty in some of the latest levels makes the original portal look like childs play solution wise.

My biggest problem with it was test chamber 19 - the last of the test chambers. The ending of that level requires you to climb a chimney using the portal jumping technique first seen in portal. There it was quite fun - a leisurely bouncing up and down from platform to platform through portals. In prelude however the chimney tunnel thing is so high you could fit the Combine citadel in it as a greeble. You look up from the bottom and you see nothing but platforms you're supposed to do the relatively easy bouncing technique between.

It sounds a bit long but not terribly difficult right? Well there are two other aspects to it that make it stupidly impossible. The first is that many of the platforms are moving - they periodically shift from position to position, which would of course remove your portal that might be on it. Highly annoying, but still not insurmountable really.

The killing blow is that you have to lug the companion cube up with you the entire way. :p

Upon seeing this I just went 'Uh, no.' and noclipped the entire way up. First time I've ever had to cheat in a portal map, which was very annoying.

The other issue is that some of the puzzles rely too heavily on your acrobatic technique midair, as opposed to figuring out the actual puzzle you're presented with.

Overall though - as long as you cheat through the test chamber 19, it certainly is all doable and I reckon worth the play. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
The other issue is that some most of the puzzles rely too heavily on your acrobatic technique midair, as opposed to figuring out the actual puzzle you're presented with.

In a puzzle game (especially one with a first person perspective), that counts as bad design.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep. That was about the only annoyance I ever had with Portal and it only really manifested itself in the challenge games anyway so it didn't bother me much.

If this mod requires it heavily then I'm not going to bother with it.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I see it as a FPS with puzzle elements not the other way around. SO i'll get it regardless. (It's gotta be less hassle than spore was)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
The killing blow is that you have to lug the companion cube up with you the entire way. :p
Spoiler:
You can just leave it at the bottom, shoot a portal when you get to the top, then go back and get it. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I was wondering if someone would point that out. ;)
Yes I'd worked that out while in game, but saying that somewhat detracts from the percieved difficulty, which I thought nicely tipped it from 'stupidly over-frustrating' to 'impossible'. :p
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Spoiler:
You can just leave it at the bottom, shoot a portal when you get to the top, then go back and get it. :p

Is that obvious when the mission starts though?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Spoiler:
No - you might be able to guess as to how to do it, but if you don't know for sure you risk not bringing it up with you and finding no place to put a portal up the top.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well that's why it's called a puzzle game, you need to try all sorts of solutions out to get through. that was the first thing that came to my mind when the situation was described.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Well that's kinda the point that's been made - the original portal was almost entirely strategic puzzle based. You had to work out what to do in order to achieve the objective, and then do it. In prelude though, the puzzle part is only the first little bit of the solution - the rest is technique, and repetition of that technique (and by that I mean quicksave and quickload because it is just about the least forgiving game I've ever seen) until you succeed.

Considering the difficulty in a lot of the jumping portals techniques needed, that gets real old real fast.

If you like that kind of game, then prelude does do it pretty well and overall I did enjoy it. If you're after more portal style play with good strategic puzzles, then it might be better to look elsewhere.
Twisted Infinities

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. That basically sums up my problem with it. Portal was mostly about using your brains rather than your reaction times. If Prelude has turned that on its head then it's of little interest to me.