Author Topic: Not that I'm normally the sort of person to prod...  (Read 17504 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: Not that I'm normally the sort of person to prod...
What we do not need is more help. We have an unmanageably huge team (most of which are lurkers or people who don't even have an account on HLP) which are making things worse. More help is not going to help the project at this stage. What we need is a simple and easy organization system to get things sorted out. For example, right now half of our missions exist only on 1 person's hard drive because they were in attachments.
Quite true, but some sort of version control (probably svn or mercurial) should work. Who doesn't have an account here?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Okay okay. So in order to get MT up and running again the major things to do so far are:

1) Pruning the team
2) Making sure everyone has svn
3) Creating an effect C3

Anything else I missed?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
1. get ONE person to Make decisions, also have a backup ready to step in, then a backup for the backup. Everyone knows the general "plan" for teh mod.

2.)A File Host like :http://www.4shared.com/login.jsp?sessionUnavailable=1
Keep it internal and you can make folders for all sections: models/maps, voices, missions ec t... Point is, any team member can access it and if one person goes away the files aren't lost (back them up!)

3.)Assign small bits and keep to deadlines, then update the status thingy MONTHLY.

Those sound liek solid suggestions.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
(most of which are lurkers or people who don't even have an account on HL

all them had or have a account, but most of them have vanished
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Its also a good idea to kick out people who don't do anything/haven't done anything/won't do anything anymore...

That's what I said, but in a more polite way... :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Snail, really, can't you just organise like in INFA? Tell those people to register here, and to follow the organisation rules and all.
Hey i wasn't the one who organized INFA, it was obviously Woo. In fact of all the project's I've joined Woo's organization is definitely the best. For instance, the Project downloads are in one, locked thread so it's easy to find the downloads, and almost all subsequent versions are released as patches (most of the other mods I'm on just tend to make you download the whole modpack again).

This is the kind of organization I think we need.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Maybe you could ask Woo to help organize it, then let you all go back to work.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Maybe you could ask Woo to help organize it, then let you all go back to work.
That's not an option really, Woo's so busy right now he has hardly any time to get online, let alone join another project.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Hey i wasn't the one who organized INFA, it was obviously Woo. In fact of all the project's I've joined Woo's organization is definitely the best. For instance, the Project downloads are in one, locked thread so it's easy to find the downloads, and almost all subsequent versions are released as patches (most of the other mods I'm on just tend to make you download the whole modpack again).

This is the kind of organization I think we need.

Woomeister has a lot of experience in FS modding: he released two big mods(INFR1 and INFA), a patch for INFR1 to make it SCP compatible, is working on INFASA and INF SCP. He knows how to get the job done.

You can follow Snail's hint and put everything in one thread...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You can follow Snail's hint and put everything in one thread...
And can we get like exception from the ninjas delete your attachments rule?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As Goober told me a few months ago it'd be better if you UL the stuff somewhere...attachment's aren't that reliable.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That happens by default if you use some sort of version control.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I guess it'll be hard to group the multiple versions of the files and scrap unnecessary duplicates, Snail told me that they're spread on internal...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Clarification: Gather the files from every one possible, then give it to someone with lots of time and you trust to get the job done, ask him to weed out the duplicates and upload to an svn.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
TotT is pretty well organized, but then again it's still fairly "young" I'd help if I had time but...  :blah: I'd take gorrath up on his offer, honestly, and kick out the lurkers, and then say to yourself: What are we missing? If the answer is no one, proceed with the mod as planned. If the answer is a modeler, get a modeler, if the answer is a fredder, get a fredder, and so on and so fourth.