Author Topic: 3.6.10: Sathanas forward beams are messed up in an utterly bizarre fashion  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Krelus

3.6.10: Sathanas forward beams are messed up in an utterly bizarre fashion
Hi, me again. It seems like every time I fix something, something else breaks as a result... The new issue is this:

Now, call me crazy, but I'm fairly certain that the forward beams aren't supposed to come from inside the Sathanas model. The particularly baffling thing is, the particle spew effect appears where it's supposed to; it's just the muzzle glow and beam effect that's all out of whack. Even more frustrating is that it behaves like a Mjolnir beam and can only go straight ahead, as opposed to normal beams which can be aimed. (This just so happens to have broken the main campaign as a result, since the Sathanas can't hit the Tatanen.) I haven't done anything to the BFRed table entry, or the Sathanas. I tried forcing the tables to use the Sathanas model contained in retail FS2 by extracting it to data/models, changing its name to "BWAR" and telling the table to use "BWAR" as its model. Still no dice.

My question is, what on earth could possibly cause this?

EDIT: I also ran the Debug build. It found nothing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 03:50:45 pm by Krelus »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Re: 3.6.10: Sathanas forward beams are messed up in an utterly bizarre fashion
Hard Light Wiki to the rescue!

+Type:

* Defines the type of beam in question. Beam types: 0 is a standard non-slashing type beam. 1 is a slashing type beam. 2 is a targetting beam that doesn't seem to have much of an effect on anything. 3 is a beam type that fires pulses in anti-fighter role and acts like type 0 beam in other roles. 4 is a beam that is restricted to what is directly in front of it, along turrets firepoints normal.
    * Syntax: Integer,, only values from 0 to 4 are legal

Read through that document, there's a lot of information there...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:57:00 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Krelus

It's a type 0 beam in the entry, so it SHOULD be behaving properly, but it isn't. I wish it were that simple >.< I'll go do some more troubleshooting later. For now I need something crispy and deep-fried.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
New sath files?? or maybe new beam files
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Krelus

New sath files?? or maybe new beam files

I didn't really mess with either. Just out of curiosity, though, I'm going to remove both my custom ships.tbl and my weapons.tbl, just to see what happens.

EDIT: OK, now I'm confused. The BFRed had somehow turned into a type 2 beam without my knowing about it. I can't really recall ever doing anything to that table entry, but whatever. Reverted it to type 0, problem solved.

*walks away, feeling rather vaguely like a complete moron*
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:43:21 pm by Krelus »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That's because the BFRed was modified in the 3.6.10 vps. Duh.