Author Topic: Glitch with damage lightning lighting  (Read 1826 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Glitch with damage lightning lighting
I poked around for a little in Freespace Support but didn't find anything right off -- still, let me know if I'm bringing up an obvious issue.

I'm running the latest 3.6.10 nightly build with the 3.6.10 beta MVPs. Everything is gorgeous and runs smoothly, except that debris surfaces turn pure white when damage lightning flickers over them. I occasionally see other surfaces turning white for brief moments -- I believe they have largely been on damaged ships as well, but I'm not sure.

I'm using an ATI card, latest drivers, on Windows XP. First time I think I've had a glitch like this! Normal and height flags are enabled and I'm using the 1119 shader file.

It's quite minor, but still irritating. Is it a known issue? I can post screenshots if necessary.

EDIT: It isn't the damage lightning, it's just an error with normal-mapped ships. White flashing surfaces, and it only occurs ingame, not in the techroom, so far as I can tell. Is this known?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:29:19 pm by General Battuta »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: Glitch with damage lightning lighting
It was experienced during test of the Xt builds last year as well.  I believe that it was ultimately attributed to a driver bug, but that was mostly because a real cause couldn't be found.  So, it is a know issue, without a known cause, and is just one of those flaky things that tends to go away with different drivers or different hardware.  I'm willing to bet that there is a code issue at the heart of the problem but I never did have any luck in tracking it down.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Glitch with damage lightning lighting
Gotcha. Well, I'll try updating my drivers, if there are any newer Catalyst versions.

Also, question: in Beyond the Red Line I got some weird errors with the Viper Mark II and Raider models. Polygons would sometimes extend all the way to the edge of the screen, and create these odd flickering grey wedges. Any idea what that's about?

I've only ever seen stuff like it when my graphics card overheated on a previous computer, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.