Author Topic: Viper Mark 2 Drawing  (Read 5976 times)

Offline KaraBulut

• Friendly old school gamer
I bought myself a new Wacom Tablet and to try it out I emmidetly drew a Viper Mark 2

http://yahuda.deviantart.com/art/Viper-Mark-2-II-Hand-Drawing-100400984

hope it looks like one  ;)

Offline Striker

That's awesome!

Only thing that looks off is the skids. The rest is fantastic.
...lurk

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Whoa man! Nice that's talented work.

I can't wait to get a wacom tablet. I hear they are really nice to work with.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Enki

I bought myself a new Wacom Tablet and to try it out I emmidetly drew a Viper Mark 2

http://yahuda.deviantart.com/art/Viper-Mark-2-II-Hand-Drawing-100400984

hope it looks like one  ;)

So is this your render? http://www.cnd-fx.com/ftp/junk/render/BSG_Viper_MK2/Viper_MarkII.jpg

It's a bit big to post as an image - 6500x3615. Damn beautiful and EXACTLY the same pic as yours!!! If it was your render both would be great work! But if it's not your render the picture is a cool thing to play around with, but tracing someone else's render without credit and passing it off as a freehand drawing...

uungh.  what a downer for a first post...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:34:17 pm by Enki »

Offline KaraBulut

• Friendly old school gamer
I just googled Viper Mark 2 saw that picture liked it.
Than drew it.

I don't see anything bad there.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nothing wrong with that but you should say that you based it on someone else's work really. It's a matter of good manners when it comes to artistic work to give credit to anyone who contributed to your work. Even indirectly.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

yeah theres nothing wrong with it at all, hell its mostly how I learned how to draw. I still do it to this day, you can learn so much just by trying to draw someone elses drawing.

but always give credit, its just polite.
Also its a trace, I knew it when I first saw it, and any artist with half an eye is going to be able to tell. (its to do with your perfect form yet dodge line wieghts)

I would avoid straight tracing if you can becouse you are just not going to learn as much.
Now for some crits (and if you don't like em give up on being an artist becosue you are gonna get so many crits over your artist life)

I've already talked about the line wieghts, they are really messy, if you are going to draw with solid black try to get the whole line in one stroke. if the lines off of ends up in the wrong place then ctrl-z try again (you'll get good at this pretty quick) dont worry so much if you over shoot rubbing out the end of a  line is fine.

your colouring reaks of lasyness, fill that **** in, hell just use the selection tool and the fill tool.

looking forward to seeing your next drawing. I'll crit that too :D

Offline jdjtcagle

your colouring reaks of lasyness, fill that **** in, hell just use the selection tool and the fill tool.

That's assuming he used photoshop, he could of used illustrator or another vector based program.  That scribble coloring job could be a style and would be a matter of preference (art if you will.)  Live paint the object for coloring instead of select and fill.  If not, illustrator could also go over each stroke and refine it, if you prefer that setting.  My favorite is using the pencil tool and customize each stroke with a fill color instead of a path with a stoke color.

I also agree if you trace it's a great way to learn/play but ethical to give credit when you base it on something that is not yours.

Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

it looks like photoshop to me, way to messy to be illstrator, but to be fair the last time I used Illustrator was like 4 years ago.

Also if your image looks bad, calling it 'style' wont save it.

Offline jdjtcagle

I disagree, it's subjective. :)

But that doesn't mean one shouldn't strive to develop something that them the "artist" feels comfortable with, setting standards for himself not from somebody else.
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

oh I agree if this artwork was only for himself, but as he just dropped bucks for a wacom which ain't cheap, Im assuming he wants more out of his art than just personal statasfaction. Andif he does then that means hes gonna someday come into contact with editors, as in "if I don't like your work Im not going to pay you" and then the excuse of style wont save him, or anyone to that matter.

See to me there is two tpyes of style, there is personal style, and your going to have this no matter what, this is how you hold a pen, how you make a stroke basicly how you draw will come across in the painting, and then there is  open style like manga, western, watercolour-ish, heavy painted, soft colours, hard colours etc etc and a good artist should be able to work with all the open styles, if you draw manga you should still be able to draw western art, if you draw furrys you should still be able to draw people.

So no its really not subjective, there is such a thing as good art and bad art, and anyone who tells you different isn't paying you.

Offline jdjtcagle

I'm a graphic designer, I have to think constantly about one thing.  A blank canvas, it's what we all start out with.  I then have to worry about what style to chose, color scheme, pictures, message, audience.  There are guidelines that I have to go by in order for it to appear professional.  I agree that there is bad design (art) and good design (art), whether the message is clear or the page is cluttered.  But I could have a project that is more professional such as a Realtor or something laid back such as a youth group.  Different styles different rules.

Now by saying all that, I'm adhering to your right and your wrong.  (imagine if Picasso had to follow guidelines when painting faces proportional.)   There is a sort of comic style potential there, it may not be what everyone is looking for, but for some clients that style could be.  But that is NOT the case here (business), he is learning.  I merely pointed out that the color could be acceptable when done that way, depends.  I'm not saying however, that he should not learn to draw within the lines either but from an "artist" perspective it's very subjective.  Just takes a little wisdom.

To add. Business is about taking chances, I own my own business.  It's not that big right now, but it makes quite a bit of money and landed great clients for the amount of chances I've taken. :)

Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

I agree with everything you just said there, except "I merely pointed out that the color could be acceptable when done that way, depends.  I'm not saying however, that he should not learn to draw within the lines either but from an "artist" perspective it's very subjective.  Just takes a little wisdom."
I mean it is right, but when I was giving him crit I was giving it to him on his percived skill level, he will learn much more filling in his colouring rather than winging it like he did there. Sure you can break rules in the name of effect (I do it all the time) but you have to know the rules first.

And from that picture Im guessing he doesn't.

Offline jdjtcagle

Well anyway, good job with the what you did do KaraBulut, I'm still jealous of your tablet. :D
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Demitri

Don't know if this where i should ask this, but it was the picture in this thread that inspired me. Also pls remember that i have absolutely no coding, modeling etc experience so have no idea what would be required.

Would it be possible to have the name/callsign of the pilot you are using, when starting up the game, to be shown on the plate beneath the canopy on the viper in game? I know if it is possible that it wouldn't be high on the list of priorities, just thought it would be kinda cool.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
That'd require some new code. For some time there has been some clamoring for a nameplate code using the ship name in FRED, which could be used as the basis for this. However, at present that's done via texture replacement as it's not too hard to make a custom nameplate in photoshop.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Wow, that looks sweet!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I want these...

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png