Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 8407 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I am. Haven't played the new one yet, but it's on my to-buy list.

I turned the runner vision off as well. I found once I'd done that I wasn't constantly hunting around for red bits and the levels actually flowed better.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Surprising news!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56291

EA aim to give Mirror's Edge a sequel despite its poor performance. Sounds like they acknowledge and plan on fixing the complaints, too.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. Think of all the movies that sucked and still got a sequel.
That isn't how the industry works. Those movies got sequels because they sold well.

What defines selling well? Making money, or making ****loads of money? With 300,000 units sold, is Mirror's Edge losing money? That's the important thing. Just because they didn't sell a gazillion doesn't mean it's still not a financial success.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
It's hard to answer that directly without knowing what the budget for Mirror's Edge was, but you have to do more than break even to get a sequel in normal conditions. There needs to be a good chance of both return customers and bringing in new ones. With the lukewarm response to Mirror's Edge neither of those is a given, which would normally discount an immediate sequel in any industry.

Movies also aren't a solid comparison in that regard because Direct-to-DVD movies provide an outlet for sequels to underperforming films. There isn't really an analogue to that in the game industry.

Well Mirror's Edge has been out how long, a couple of weeks? According to some website I found the average video game released on both consoles only sells 408,336 units. If ME is already 3/4s of the way to the average after only a week or two, odds are it will probably exceed that average with the xmas season coming up. The same report, says only 20% of video games are profitable.

http://blog.mlive.com/manzero/2008/11/only_20_of_games_make_profit_s.html

Of course, it all depends on the game's budget a well, which unlike movies is probably not something that is readily available. I've also seen on other websites that it may have had some competition released against big titles like Gears2, Resistance2 etcetera. Games which may already have followings as opposed to a new game which does not despite whatever hype it may have.

So who knows. The customers will have their say and then the tie-bound pencil pushers can decide on the game's future.

EDIT - that same website also says that 25,000 units sold is equal to about 1million in revenue. So with 300k sold it's made what, 12 million dollars? I'm not sure what the average video game budget is these days. . . .
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:36:24 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It will most likely sell a few more what with kids spending xmas cash in the boxing day period. . . .although i'd probably buy fallout 3 (again) if i was in that position.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png