Author Topic: Battlecarrier (1600m capship)  (Read 18935 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Battlecarrier (1600m capship)
Unnamed Terran Battlecarrier

This ship has ~2000 polygons (including turrets), and is ~1600m long. It's currently got 11 multi-part turrets, and 4 forward-firing cannons. It could probably use some single-part ("button") turrets if it's going to have any chance against other ships in the FS universe. It has four "and a half" fighterbays (I'm not sure what the little on on the front could be used for, but it's there and without it the front is boring). The large cavity underneath could be a weakness, so I was thinking of putting some sort of invisible barrier there (possibly by means of the 'invisible' surface (like what blocks many existing capship's fighterbays), plus a few  faces for a shield mesh)... As for what it's purpose is (which could help for texturing it), it could be some sort of docking area for freighters and transports (although getting them through the invisible barrier region would be tricky, and I don't know if there's room for a direct approach).

Screenshot

360o Rotating View

What about it?

If anyone is interested in finishing it, let me know.

What it still needs:
  • cooler-looking multi-part turrets (and some single-part turrets, probably)
  • maybe a few greebles here and there
  • merging the engine block and main hull [maybe]
  • uv-mapping
  • textures
  • conversion
  • TBM file

Also, it probably will need a name at some point.

Background info, in case you care:

This wasn't originally going to be used for FS, but I figured maybe I could get somebody to uv/texture it for me, and in turn the model would be converted for FSO.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Battlecarrier (1600m capship)
Why not look for turrets in the turret project (here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50017.0.html)?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Because I haven't released it: (No one has volunteered to work on it and only Trashman had any ready for FS2 - and those he released them already)...

That's why.

So until I get soem help I'm still approaching diff modelers for meshes and later on get people to get them ready for Fs2...  We have quite an assortment available at the moment however...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Added some greebles to the bow section of the ship. Also I finally found a good use for GIMP's "Hard Light" blending mode.

...and since I've been told the textures are hiding a lot of the detail:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:44:41 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
That's nice. Strikes me as a B5ish Demios type fusion? Not that you were going for it, just how it initially appeared to me. :)
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Huh, cool. Looks like a Halo ship design.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
If those three openings are guns, I'm not attacking that from the front.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Droid803

Well, seeing as it is a Battlecarrier, those are probably hangar bays...though putting some massive MACs or something like in Halo might be rather awesome :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Well, seeing as it is a Battlecarrier, those are probably hangar bays...though putting some massive MACs or something like in Halo might be rather awesome :P
They are hybrid hangar/gun ports! They launch aircraft normally, but in an emergency, push a MAC into position for added firepower!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Those are just hangars. The four main guns on the bottom are plenty big enough.

I added some more greebles, this time to the front and back of the engine pods. It now sits at 8304 polygons.

Engine pod front:

Engine pod rear:

Offline Droid803

You should probably detail the big flat surfaces before greebling the minor parts, IMO.
Most of those engine greebles will be lost as they will be bathed in Engine Glow. (at least the rear ones will be)
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Only if the engine glows are significantly wider than the thrusters.

I added some greebles around the rear hangar, and made a video of it rotating.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:33:34 am by Aardwolf »

Looks pretty cool. Having big flat panels and detailed "soft spots" is not a bad idea, but you should probably try to do some panelling with the textures whenever you get to that stage.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Looks pretty cool. Having big flat panels and detailed "soft spots" is not a bad idea, but you should probably try to do some panelling with the textures whenever you get to that stage.

Finally, someone who gets it!

I tried some things out with the flat areas, like adding a fenris/leviathan-style indentation on the side, or putting alternating raised and lowered sections in along the length (with different lengths for each section)... but I could not come up with much that was pleasing to me. I intend to do a little research (wikipedia and/or google images) looking at modern naval warships and subs, and may get some ideas from that.

I am still looking for someone to finish the model. I am beginning to suspect there are some hidden geometry problems in the model (probably near a mirror plane, as when I delete one side and mirror it again sometimes I miss geometry that needs deletion).

Please, if you like this model, and are able to help, let me know. A list of things that need to be done is in the first post (but it has not been updated).

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Double post, yes, I know.

I decided to redo the bow and stern of the ship. They now have been simplified down to 1 or 2 quads each. This decision was made upon realizing that if my ship had both forward-firing main guns and forward-facing fighterbays, whenever it lined up to fire its guns at an enemy, it lined the enemy up to fire its guns down its own fighterbay... which is a bad idea. Sure, in FS2 shooting the fighterbay doesn't (usually) do anything, but it would make a stupid design in real life. I removed the stern bay (and nearby greebles) because I am planning on placing the fighterbays in the previously useless ventral cavity.

Suggestions for what to do with the bow and stern, as well as with what is still boring polygons, would be useful.

Also, I would really like to see this finished! Post/PM/otherwise contact me if you are willing and able to assist.

I think you have a workable design I like. :)
Just a thought, I would move the top two engine pods to the rear and leave the bottom two where they are. You should have more room on the sides to add your fighter bays and even more guns. Maybe even add some new design elements.
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
These are the areas that will be affected by the change (shown stripped down as I mentioned above).

I need ideas for them, as well as the flat areas of the main shape. They should still be armored (not exposed internal stuff), but I agree that they should not be quite so plain.

Offline Droid803

Put it massive spinal gun in addition to its quad cannon?
(´・ω・`)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
MAC GUN.

That would be pretty neat!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mac guns don't fit in the FS universe.