Author Topic: Question on models...  (Read 6899 times)

Question on models...
Hello everyone,

I've been following BTRL for well over a year now and though I was at first concerned about the break up, after reading all about the future plans of Diaspora I have to say I'm very much looking forward to it.  I have a couple of questions on the models if a team member would be willing to divulge the info.  Were the models that were previously created be shared by both BTRL and Diaspora?  I have read no mention of the Galactica model itself.  I take that to infer that a new model may need to be created?  Scotchy has done such a wonderful job on the Pegasus I'm sure that wouldn't be a strech for the Diaspora team's talent at all if it's the case.  I read that all models that were 100% created by Diaspora members will be used, so I presume that models that don't meat that criteria will not.  Would anyone be willing to give us a breakdown of what caft we can expect new versions of over what we've previously seen?  Thank you and great work!

Offline Fish

• Nugget
Re: Question on models...
From the FAQ: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56783.0.html

Both Vipers will be available to fly. As will the Raptor, Cylon Raider, Blackbird and several other fighters from the BSG Universe.

Release 1 will include a Battlestar, Basestar, several RTF ships and the most important Cylon  and Colonial fighter craft

:D
<><

Offline Scotchy

• polyonymous
The Pegasus version seen in the Capship Test video is still available to BTRL to use. I don't know if they will, but I have made it available. I've been working on a new Pegasus for Diaspora, as well. So I suppose you could say that certain assets are shared in a sense.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Hmmm...

More or less the same minor questions I brought up in the "differences thread" a day or two ago...

As the answer has not quite been filled in yet, I suppose this is an appropriate way to address the problem.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As you may have noticed, the two canon Vipers are new models, as is the Basestar. Both Raiders will also be models you haven't played with although the Season 4 Advanced Raider may have been shown off while we were still on the BtRL team.

As for what else you can expect, we do have more ships but we'd rather show you pictures once they are done. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I thought the Viper pics looked a little different...

Any chances of getting the MkI? It may be fun to add the TOS vessels to re-create the Razor episodes or first-war scenarios... or if that old MkI ever gets used in the show to-date... though I imagine that will not happen. Would be cool, though.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Need the MkI Raider with the MkI Viper :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I thought the Viper pics looked a little different...

Any chances of getting the MkI? It may be fun to add the TOS vessels to re-create the Razor episodes or first-war scenarios... or if that old MkI ever gets used in the show to-date... though I imagine that will not happen. Would be cool, though.

-Thaeris

I've got no objection to having the MK I. It is canon to the show after all. We don't have one yet though so it couldn't be in R1.

Offline BADAA

will we be able to make are own skins like in btrl  :confused:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I guess you will because Diaspora uses the FSO engine, which allows mods. If you don't know how to mod feel free to check the tutorials(http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/:)

Oh, by the way,

:welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB!!! :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
Ok, dont hate me for asking this. I know you guys are busy with more important models, but I have to ask :P

Any plans (and I'm not talking like...next week, like in the future) to model the Scorpion Fleet Shipyards?

And what about the Prometheus-class Battlestar?

Just curious :P

Adalla

Offline Shade

The shipyards? It'll probably happen at some point. I know we have at least one modeller who wants a shot at them. But that's a massive undertaking and won't be for a long while yet, as our immediate focus is getting a release or two out quickly so you all have something to play while we work on the rest.

Prometheus-class is the TOS battlestar, right? We'll definitely be doing some TOS stuff in later releases, so there's certainly a chance... but no promises.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Which one is the BSG Prometheus again?

Offline Scotchy

• polyonymous
If you mean Infinity238's Prometheus, then I certainly hope not.

Offline Adalla

• So Say We All!
    • Adalla Productions
Prometheus is supposed to be the latest class of Battlestars, larger, more powerful etc.

the "Battlestar Prometheus" fan fiction, regarded to be the best out there, follows the story of the Battlestar Prometheus.

I'm not exactly sure as to the source of the information though.

Offline Shade

Oh. Didn't know about that one. Seemed to remember some obscure reference to a Prometheus in some TOS-related material and assumed it was that. Anyway, I don't believe we currently have plans for any capital ships that are significantly larger than the Mercury-class, so if that Prometheus is to happen it's likely to be a long way off.

Also, is it just me or does that Alliance Destroyer look suspiciously like a Babylon 5 Hyperion-class cruiser?
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Demitri

Also, is it just me or does that Alliance Destroyer look suspiciously like a Babylon 5 Hyperion-class cruiser?

It does a bit, but i was more thinking that the Alliance Battlecruiser looks a helluva lot like a Warlock Destroyer from B5. Anyone agree?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline newman

In the reimagined Battlestar Galactica series, the Prometheus is actually a rag-tag fleet
freighter. I don't think having a battlestar named exactly the same works. The author
of the Prometheus was actually warned about this by someone who worked on the new series
on SFM, iirc, but he chose to ignore him. Personally I think this argument still stands.
In addition, we've got Starslayer's designs, which are in my opinion better anyway.

It does a bit, but i was more thinking that the Alliance Battlecruiser looks a helluva lot like a Warlock Destroyer from B5. Anyone agree?

I'd agree if I was blind :) It looks nothing like a warlock class. I have no idea why it says
"alliance battlecruiser" there, but that's the original series Battlestar Galactica.
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the TOS BSG was a Nova class battlestar.

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/battlestar_nova.png

now, compare that to this:

http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/earthallianceshipsandvessels/earthcapships/warlock/warlockviews.jpg

Still think they look alike? :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:57:04 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Demitri

Still think they look alike? :)

Didnt realise it was a battlestar. Was going purely from the side on view from the above post. So really what im saying is that from a certain angle, and with a certain amount of light, and with one eye closed, and after a heavy night on the town, THEN i suppose it could look like a warlock :P
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Additionally, that GunStar Vigilant looks very interesting; for the sake of most variety of fat spacecrafts floating around :)

Also might come to mind a couple or three of those GSs hammering a BaseStar.. or perhaps being hammered by the Cylon BS?..
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:49:52 am by Deckard »
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer