Author Topic: About FS2 SCP - How far?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
About FS2 SCP - How far?
Seeing the capabilities of the Freespace SCP lately has got me wondering, how far will it actually go?.. after the HTL models are done, the new textures, etc, what next for the engine? more effects to do with Shaders so there'll be lightplay involved? like emergency lights as they spin near a docking bay?  Will some crazed coder eventually introduce more articulated modelling so we can see a takeoff/landing sequence of a GTVA fighter? just how far will the SCP go?
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Re: About FS2 SCP - How far?
I think the game will constantly be updated by the SCP to keep pace with new computer technology, both hardware and software. It will be like owning FS3, FS4, FS5, etc. for free. The day the SCP stops is the day that computers have reached their limits.  :nod:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It's like a gift that just keeps on giving. :nod:

Before we know it, we have raytracing, geomod and trading features, and the game world is adjusted to dynamically changing continuous environment driven by AI. :nervous:

Nah. Seriously, though. Things like atmospheric flight support aren't that far-fetched. Full material system will mean that a lot of new content can be created and existing adjusted. Some kind of shadow mapping would be awesome at some point...

As to how long will FS2_Open continue to improve - as long as there's even one person willing to work on it. The community, now, that's a different matter... but I don't think it's in any danger of withering away too soon. We're way past critical mass of users to keep the boards active, and I think things will only improve with new total conversions drawing new blood in. Same goes for new features like better multiplayer code - if I'm not much mistaken, FS2 used to have fairly active multiplayer community, while with FS2_Open only a handful of players are doing it on a regular basis. Getting an active and relatively large multiplayer community working would be great.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
the game world is adjusted to dynamically changing continuous environment driven by AI. :nervous:

EVEspace. Brilliant! Get on it, taylor!  ;)
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Me like freespace...me work in it as long as me live...and me teach my son to do so...and so...and so on.

bah seriously, this game gives something that others do not, that's the satisfaction to see the fruits of your own work reflected on it's various missions, mods, etc... and I think that's what is gonna keep this community going on and on, as long there's people out there who likes to get their hands to work and see what they've done, more or less like an auto indulging machine we could say.

el hombre vicio...

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Same goes for new features like better multiplayer code - if I'm not much mistaken, FS2 used to have fairly active multiplayer community, while with FS2_Open only a handful of players are doing it on a regular basis. Getting an active and relatively large multiplayer community working would be great.

there are quiet a few multiplayers, out there and summer is a hard time to get online , the multiplayer scene needs coders and fredders to create those mission where we can play with more ppl in each game ( i think there are some missions that allow 12 players at the moment)

but at the moment the real work is there bug testing all the new 3.6.10 builds , when they work the fredders have more tools , the game plays faster over the net and lan,The graphics have made a huge leap forward and playing multiplayer with every thing on max (graphics and mediavps and normal maps ) just is a wonderful thing , the quality of fredding within multiplayer is bringing us intersting and great missions, within the Fs enviroment , there will be more and more multiplayer games availible within , tbp, diaspora, wcs, shadows of lyat so get out there and bug test the more we play the more we have to play with ....

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EVEspace. Brilliant! Get on it, taylor!  ;)
Bad form.  That kind of attitude is not appreciated here.

Taking coders for granted is precisely what discourages them from coding, and in some cases, causes them to lose interest in the SCP.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think his wink indicated he was aware of that...right? An acknowledgment of the sheer lunacy of the request?

I hope you're not losing interest, Goob!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think his wink indicated he was aware of that...right? An acknowledgment of the sheer lunacy of the request?

I hope you're not losing interest, Goob!
Well, remember Charismatic was banned just for joking about something? In other words, just... Don't...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have no intention of besmirching the good name of the coders. Even in jest!

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
I'd have called that a testament to Taylor's ability but anyways, since all i do is beta test a few projects and freeload alot around here i really have no idea what goes into coding although i do know it takes far more skill and time than i even have to put in and i respect that very much.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Topgun

He's 14, remember?

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I think that it will continue until the coders finally remember how to play and not mod. :D

Not everything last forever.  I'm sure that there are alot of coders that are sick and tired of this stuff.  I would be.
The SCP feels complete to me and if it ends any time soon, so be it.  Great job guys.  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:21:40 pm by jdjtcagle »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I think the biggest hurdle in the future will be dealing with multiple cores.  Seems to be the way computers are headed.  In order to keep adding improvements at some point it will be necessary to take advantage of that extra power.

So basically hardware will determine how far the software can go. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
SCP is forever. SCP is heaven and its coders are Gods security officers. I will learn to code well enough to code for the SCP, and I will force my children to do the same.

:p

No, srsly. I'm gonna try my best to pick up where the current generation of coders will leave inevitably have to leave off, and I'll do my best to make others do the same for my generation.

I won't be surprised at all if FSO keeps up with commercial gaming for years and years, if not a few months behind them due to the fact that everyone will probably have jobs and stuff to attend to before the SCP.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:44:46 pm by Hammer of HLP 0wnage »

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Bad form.  That kind of attitude is not appreciated here.

Taking coders for granted is precisely what discourages them from coding, and in some cases, causes them to lose interest in the SCP.

I meant the opposite. I singled him out because from what I can tell he is one of the most fundamental code engineers of the SCP, who doesen't really get much recognition since he generally sticks to the coding area. I thought with a little jest I could bring him a bit more deserved mentioning. I made that joke because I truly appreciate all the work that the coders have done, and I thought they might get a little laugh from that seeing as it was obviously a jest, and the hyperbole of the joke implies that they do quite a bit already.

I realize it can be sometimes awkward to make a sarcastic joke over the internet, but I still think the feeling behind it was quite obvious.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Just to be a realist, I imagine it will continue until the codebase is too convoluted to continue adding features, and then the only thing that could save it is a serious rewrite, but at that point, maybe someone will have released a new space sim :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
In my opinion, it'll last until sometime around 2321-2335.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
In my opinion, it'll last until sometime around 2321-2335.

Yes, the SCP will last until Freespace actually HAPPENS.  :)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
SCP is like popcorn; its eternal.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!