Author Topic: keep it simple! hlp msg board idea  (Read 2011 times)

keep it simple! hlp msg board idea
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, please feel free to move it if this is the wrong place...

There's a lot of great advice, tutorials, and how to questions answered on this board. I've personally been the recipient of some very useful advice over the past few months. What I would like to see is a forum dedicated tuts and such for the amateur modelers, fredders and texture artists.

I'm not saying the info people have provided hasn't been useful... quite the opposite. It's been outstanding... but it's just all over the place. A centralized collection of the wealth of knowledge of this community would be the cats pajamas and a good place for people to ask for help on any topic that hasn't been covered  :D

Anyways, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Re: keep it simple! hlp msg board idea
 :confused:

I'm unsure of what you want. FS modding, FRED disc, SCP, Programming, and Hard light Art are all boards that could easily fulfill the requested roll. Past that, there's the FS wiki, which contains a lot of helpful info for modders, then there's Kara's FAQ. (I miss the days where you could just throw people at it and their problems would be solved)

Do you want something like a "Newb modder's" board? No one will mind if you just create a thread in FS modding called "Vertigo 7's Modding woes" and just post all of your questions and stuff there.

lol naw... it may be a bit redundant to some but... call it a resource board or something, i donno... i'm not saying take away from the specific boards but like say for example... Scooby doo's texturing tutorial. It's by far the best texturing tut i've read, however the way its broken up, you gotta sift through multiple pages of comments to get to the various parts. I say condense it and put it on a separate board for tutorials... same with the normal map discussion that got merged a while back... I'll have to dig it up again cuz it didn't get stickied, but the last time I read through it, it got kinda confusing the way the topics got merged.

Don't take me wrong, i'm not complaining at all. I'm just saying, why not make a common point to reference this stuff at? I think it'd be helpful for a lot of the ambitious types that wanna give modding the ol' college try.

The wiki is great and wonderful... I use it alot for referencing .tbl and .tbm entries, just to me it doesn't seem to be nearly as involved as the hlp boards are.

This is all just a thought  :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you're interested in making tutorials such as the ones you mentioned more visible, why not take the initiative yourself and transfer them onto the Wiki?  That's exactly what it exists for in the first place, and you'd be doing the community a big service. :)

:wtf: i can do that? I don't have a problem doin that, I just didn't know I was allowed to... that and i've never posted anything on a wiki before  :p

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's the wonderful primary function of a wiki...anyone can edit it. :p