Author Topic: Why did they mangle VB?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Why did they mangle VB?
I've been wondering for a while, why did MS take VB 6.0 and twist and mangle it into VB .net?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Re: Why did they mangle VB?
Because MS fixes everything that isn't broken.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Why would you use VB anyway?

I think the answer lies partly in that they only wanted to have to work with one runtime (the CLR?). AFAIK VB and C# and all the .NET languages compile into MSIL which is then run on a virtual machine (I haven't actually used any managed languages, just C++ and FORTRAN here, so guessing!). Which is why they end up with the language like it is. Or I'm totally off the track somewhere. I did at one point have some VB6 code... but it stopped working when VB.NET came along  :(
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Why would you use VB anyway?

It was my first programming language. It still has some advantages in that you can quickly build various applications with it. VB6 was great for the kind of work VB was intended to do, there really was no reason to change it. Hate to see if fade into the land of deprecation........
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Out of curiousity, what exactly are these quick applications that you can't do with vb.net?