Author Topic: Hostile Waters  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Wait, the one you are the Behe or the one you have to rescue the Behe?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
boy, the rescue Behe is terrible  :ick:          currently stuck.  (pretty bad that HW has these crappy missions at the end). I hope the final one is better (please tell me there is another good one).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Rescuing the Behe was a lesson in rapid deployment and engagement. Not to mention the value of air cover and having six big guns to back you up.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You don't like the rescue mission? That's one of my favourites. :D

Here's what I do.

Spoiler:
Scout with the Puma. I tend to drive it myself rather than giving it to Kroker as that allows me to stick some armour in for emergencies. Arm with either scalpel or firestorm as you won't be doing much fighting obviously).

Once you've had a very good scouting session, deploy Patten in a shark with warhammer and give him two scalpel equipped sharks for protection. Have them follow Patten so they don't wander off too far from him.

Head north and take the route around the island to the west. You'll find a set of alien oil derricks to the north of their base. Take them out with bombardments from Patten. You should be able to stand off shore out of range of everything except the slugs to do this. Once production is down, stand off shore of the base itself and pummel it in the same way. Once it's dead. Scavenge. Y ou should have more than enough resources now to build a small fleet.

Head back to the carrier the way you came remembering to send a pegasus to pick up and recycle the scarab. Now from the carrier head south staying well away from the shore. Once you reach the bottom of the map head east. On the beach you'll see the main resource production for the alien base. Take it out. Once that's done you can either return to the carrier and get Patten in a tank or if you're feeling brave move back to the south eastern corner of the map and perform an amphibious assult on the enemy base.

Either way once you have destroyed the enemy base do not rescue the Behe until you have scavenged everything. You should now have all the resources you need to kick the crap out of anything the aliens can send at you.

Y ou don't actually need the carrier guns to win this one, So I tend to use them to take out the slug factories just before I begin an assault
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:01:11 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The trick is not to get fought to a beachhead, isolate and destroy each base individually, but if you lose control of the landing-zone, it's very difficult to regain control.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
:wtf: Sounds so damn easy. But I usually rush like hell to save the Behe. Although I tend to forget about it until about half the base is dead. :p But I do cover my assault with Patton's Warhammer and Ransom and Korolev in Scalpel and Longbow Phoenixes respectively.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's a war of attrition to be honest, particularly in heavy combat, I find using the Scarab is still sometimes a good idea, since a Behemoth can't work whilst fighting, and it loses an awful lot of potential once you stuff one of those big modules into it.

Sometimes it's worth setting the Behe's up for combat centred only and drive around in a Scavenger Scarab, cleaning up afterwards, with a repair Scarab providing services to the main Behemoth group, the game always pick Korolev, but swap it to Kroker, since Korolev is more dangerous with the Longbow in my experience.

It's a pity you don't get more pitched battles with the Behe to be honest, but then Hostile Waters is one of those games you never want to end, and leaves you screaming for a sequel.

Offline Roanoke

Yeah, resucing Behemoth is great. the mission where you start with a stealth behemoth is the terrible one.

The trick is not to get fought to a beachhead, isolate and destroy each base individually, but if you lose control of the landing-zone, it's very difficult to regain control.

I do as Karajorma says and perform an amphibious assault but I use Patton in a warhammer'd salamander and cover him myself with a Missile equipped shark. I keep a repair scarab (forget hisname, first officer dude) and a recycle scarab (usually Korolev) under a pair of Pegasus out to sea and bring them in once all the badguys are down. The base on the west coast is great for resources once it's all taken down.  Having a stealth Puma is handy but more of a luxury if resources are short.

I almost never use behemouth. Too expensive and too slow. Plus I've found the AI tends to struggle crossing heavy terrain, waterways, trainlines etc  :)

Offline Roanoke

Gah, the penultimate mission is so annoying!!

I really wish I could have had the Vulture earlier too.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've found a program that will open the compressed files for Hostile Waters, but it would take some considerable time to decode some of the unqiue formats inside those packages...

http://www.watto.org/extract/info.html

Offline Roanoke

Do it flip!

Offline VPR

Another way to rescue the Behemoth is to build 3 x Pheonix (Longbows), 1 x Pegasus (Armour + Chip), 1 x Shark (Dual Warhammer) and then put Madsen in a Sentinel (Laser + 3-4 recharge units & shields) on one of the little islands near the carrier. This is more expensive but works well for me with no losses.

Beforehand assault the Western base to build the above group with the resources gained from it. Using a Puma or Shark with a Cloak unit hit and run all the Radar & AA towers where Behemoth is using a Flamer unit, you only need a brief spray and they'll eventually burn to death.

When you attack use your Cloaked Puma/shark to spot the Behemoth and use the other Shark to strike the Behemoth free. Once Behe's free send in the Pheonix force and then the Pegasus behind them to grab and return Behe' to the Carrier, cover it and pull back any of your Pheonix' when they lose shields to Madsen, who'll rapidly frag any chasing flyers in one hit once they're within his range. Form a choke point in between the hills near your carrier to the south and place the Shark (Warhammer) below the small drop to terrain mask it from ground units. Before attacking you can hide your force behind the bank if you've removed the all the towers on the southern side as the Aliens will not detect you until you unmask over the hill upon their base leaving you able to shield up without the need for Cloaks. Build your clean up force from the ensueing chaos at the choke point.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:02:09 pm by VPR »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sooo, uh, I kinda want to play this game now.

What should my first step be? Ebay?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Ebay? More like Pirate Bay amirite?

Really, I don't know if the game has abandonware status or not. I would think so.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
well, it is on underdogs and now guess who made the entry  ;7
I finally changed my stradegy and voila, the level is beaten quickly. I always used units with maximal upgrades and it seems that was an error for this mission.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.