Author Topic: Always one step behind  (Read 22560 times)

Offline Aadarsh

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Always one step behind
I wonder if there's any point in continuing to send these transmissions, if we're all going to die pretty soon regardless.  If humanity goes extinct, the GTI will be the least of our problems.  Right now the GTI is scrambling to figure out a way to deal with the Shivans as well as their own fleet losses, so I doubt they have time to get into too much trouble anyway.  I'll probably still keep an eye on them, if only out of habit.  Now if only I could dig myself out from this mountain of work they've given me...

The brass are having conniptions over a message that Intelligence recently intercepted from the Vasudans, and I managed to snag a hard copy.  I haven't had time to translate it yet, but anything that freaks out the GTI has got to be good news for us.  Provided it isn't caused by the Shivans, anyway.

I recommend against using Googleplex or any of the holonet-based translation services, just in case the GTI has its fingers where it shouldn't.  That's probably more paranoid than necessary, but you never know.

Offline MikeRoz

Re: Always one step behind
You've got to be kidding me.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Nuclear1

Someone call for the linguistics department? :drevil:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline MikeRoz

I'll just leave this here.

[attachment deleted by necromancer]
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor

Offline Nuclear1

I'm translating it now (well, translating the characters into English lettering, we'll deal with the translation of the meaning for later).

Note: Now done correcting.  Translate away!

First line:  VASUDAT BISANTINAT YORCHAH Vasudan Imperial Navy
GUJETAKAT HERODOTAT MAASISEH (?)  Historical   (?)
ROTOLKRONAYELAT JIMUUCHAH Administrative  (?)

TOTHAPUD - ROTOLKRONAYELAH VBY HERODOTAT MAASISOL - -  (?) - (?)  (?)  Historical  (?)      All of this (1-7) looks like the heading of a letter, possibly the recipient's unit, greetings, etc.

AMENTEPAPAX - YELIKROKAH 13AT KARIGALOSOL OX VBK (?) - Admiral  13th (?) and (?)
ROKARABIMOL - UROL BASIROSAT KOYALEH - -   (?)  -  His  Flagship

OSOBUULJOY OX SAVASUUDAH.   (?)  and  Sa-Vasuda    I remember Sa Vasuda being used in STL as the Vasudan equivalent of "Pilot Attend", so I'll roll with that here.

OSID KALINGAD-  OSIX  KOLUUMBAROR  FLEEGRUXEH  KU  ADOL  You honor me - (?)  (?)  to report  (?)  (?)
JOVIBAT  CHARIDEDAPOS HATORAKARIX  WAABEKIDOY  VASUUDOL  recent flame?  the work (?)  of Vasuda
NALABO'ASTELITOSOY.   ADIX  GOVALITOS  WA  SOLOMONARUT (?)'(?).  I commend you  (?)  (?)
VARKAR  OX  WA  ESOMUUSIX  CHINOBAR-  UUNATOK  MUUSOL done and (?) (?) remember- (?) (?)
ONOGAKOY.  MOYUUREH  NEERITAT-  OX  MEKONISERAH  ABOMUUSOR horrors.  (?) (?)- and (?) the past
OSOYOLOY  YULGAAMOFIXOY  FOTUR  CHINOBIH  OX  OX  OSOYOLOY  (?)  (?)  it is necessary  to remember  (?)  (?)
SAGAAMOFIXOY.  OX  HERODOTAH  URIBIX   HARSAT  FONOGRUR  KAN
CHINOBIH  GABUR  HOYAT.

SUUPAX  LIVASUUDAT  JUUNIYAT  MIJERLAH  URIBIX  GABUR-
LITERAT  ROHERODOTIX  ABOBALUU'OSOY  DOS  KARIGIX  FONOGRAH
. LOLOLAT  JOSYACHOGOR/OLOFAT  BANSAYAT  GUUBEROY\. amuse  (?)/(?) myriad  (?)
URIBIX  YOCLEPUR-  OX  ANTAS  LITERAPUD  URIBIX  SARUT
KONISERUR.  OSITETOS  KU  WOSIKAFAT  HATORAKIX  ESOTUUVAD.

ROHERODOTAH  FONOGRAT  GERLUUSIX  SOLENTAT  NAXUUSOR  history  recorded  (?)  personal  node
HOLONETOL  VORULTAT  KADARANTAPOS  NALABOTUUSIPUR.  TEDARUT  Holonet game  (?)  (?).  (?)
HELIXEXAD/CHARIDEDAH 3\NIKAPAX  YOREKCHAROR.
LOSINKAH  GABUR  CHOGAH  JUUVAKAT  ROKUBRIKOL  ADOL
KOYALAPOS.

DOS  YOSTERBIX  WA  ADOL  ODOBRITIH  NEERITARUT  OKUUROS.  (?)  (?) (?)  (?)  (?)  humble (?)
SARUT  MEKEXAD.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:31:50 pm by nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
if only i could remember where i left that vasudan font D: EDIT: Nvm, seems like Roz did something useful and re-posted the font to avoid me the pain of digging it up, thanks.

i shall dig for it now... but i am certainly not translating it now... i guess i can wait for others to do the job and see what happens  :lol:

BTW: that attachment in Roz post is the vasudan font, geez dude, you could at least post what it is and stop being so cryptic about what you say.... (And yes, there was a bit of pun-ish intent in that last line and i know how lame that is)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:32:36 am by Mura »
Signed, me

Offline MikeRoz

Vasudan Imperial Navy
GUJETAK(adjective) history(adjective) MAASISEH
ROadministrate(adjective) JIMUUCHAH

TOTH(ablative) - ROadministrateAH VBY history(adjective) MAASIS(genitive) - -

AMENTEP(allative) - Admiral 13AT KARIGALOS(genitive) and VBK
ROguard(genitive) - he(genitive) flag(adjective) KOYALEH - -

OSOBUULJOY and (ameliorative)Vasuda.

I(dative) honor(you)-  I(accusative)  KOLUUMBAR(instrumental)  reportEH  KU  you(genitive)
recent  flameIDEDAP(I) work(past participle)(accusative)  WAABEKIDOY  vasuda(genitive)
(perfect)(simple past)'ASTELITwe.   you(accusative)  commend(I)  WA  SOLOMON(adverb)
do(past participle)  and  WA  (simple future)present(accusative)  CHINOB(past participle)-  UUNATOK  present(genitive)
horrors.  MOYUUREH  humble(adjective)-  and  MEknowAH  (simple past)present(instrumental)
we(genitive)(plural)  (pejorative)GAAMOF(accusative)(plural)  necessary(he)  CHINOBIH  and  and  we(genitive)(plural)
(ameliorative)GAAMOF(accusative)(plural).  and  history  himself(accusative)   (intensifier)good(adjective)  record(he)  KAN
CHINOBIH  is(he)  HOY(adjective).

SUUPAX  LIvasuda(adjective)  JUUNIY(adjective)  MIJERLAH  himself(accusative)  is(he)-
LIterra(adjective)  ROhistory(accusative)  (simple past)hire'(we)  this  KARIG(accusative)  recorded
. amuse(adjective)  JOSYACHOG(instrumental)/OLOF(adjective)  myriad(adjective)  GUUBEROY\
himself(accusative)  YOCLEP(he)-  and  ANTAS  LIterra(ablative)  himself(accusative)  SARUT
know(he).  OSITET(I)  KU  WOSIKAF(adjective)  work(accusative)  (simple future)TUUV(you).

ROhistory  record(adjective)  GERLUUS(accusative)  personal  node(instrumental)
holonet(genitive)  game(adjective)  sector(allative)(I)  (perfect)(simple past)provide(he).  TED(adverb)
HEL(accusative)(imperative)(you)/flameIDEDAH 3\NIK(allative)  navigation(past particaple)(instrumental).
LOSINKAH  is(he)  CHOGAH  JUUVAK(adjective)  ROdirect(genitive)  you(genitive)
KOYALAP(I).

this  YOSTERB(accusative)  WA  you(genitive)  ODOBRITIH  humbly  OKUUR(I).
SARUT  make(imperative)(you).

That's all I could get.

For reference, here is the word of the day archive, stripped of dashes and apostrophes:

Vasuudah  Vasuda
Terah  Terra
bisantinah  empire
yorchah  navy
yorekchah  to navigate
gabeh  to be
varkeh  to do
mekeh  to make
kadarantah  sector
margensiteh  coordinate
ox  and
av  or
Holonetah  Holonet
lorchakyeh  to engage
fonograh  to record
koniserah  to know
osterbeseh  to repeat
kubrikah  to direct
tachirikah  installation
charah  flame
kalingah  to honor
cheenyah  to pilot
usababirat  serious
avenseh  to assist
ulyareh  book
rasnajeteh  to acknowledge
jedineh  unit
sat  good
yulat  bad
solentah  person
dodijelah  to assign
mafoleh  to rendezvous
jeeyareh  to dock
dos  this
das  that
fuusiladah  to attack
karabimah  to guard
onogakah  horror
yulgaamofah  defeat
osabeh  hope
yoferah  to support
sarsireh  to repair
valchuueh  to deploy
fleegruxeh  to report
joyareh  target
tologeh request
herodotah history
obogrujeh to attach
hatorakih to work
basirosah flag
helixah to access
abomuuseh past
muuseh present
esomuuseh future
yelikrokah admiral
govalitih to commend
stineyah to destroy
bansayih myriad
lololah to amuse
vorultah game
neeritat humble
fotah to be necessary
tolkronayelah to administer
baluuah to hire
tuusipeh to provide
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:28:10 am by MikeRoz »

Offline faxi

• Half a myriad of GUUBERs...
nuclear1: thank you for transcribing and checking everything! I did not re-check everything, but the first word seems to be VASUUDAT, not VASUDAT.

I also tried to apply the vocabulary and grammar rules that we have so far. My result is very similar to that of MikeRoz (the differences are mainly because we seem to have hacked our scripts a little differently, but the net information is pretty much the same :) ):

Anyway, my current result is:

Vasuda(adjective) empire(adjective) navy
military(adjective) history(adjective) department
(unknown prefix ro)administer(adjective) office

TOTH(ablative) - (unknown prefix ro)administer VBY history(adjective) department(genitive) - -
AMENTEP (allative) - admiral 13(adjective) KARIgroup(genitive) and VBK
(unknown prefix ro)guard(genitive) - {he}(genitive) flag{i}(adjective) KOYALEH - -

OSOBUULJ(plural) and (ameliorative)Vasuda.

{i}(dative) honor{you(singular)}-  {i}(accusative)  KOLUUMB(participle)(instrumental)  report  that  {you(singular)}(genitive)
recent  flameIDED(locative) work(participle)(accusative)  archive(dative)(plural)  Vasuda(genitive)
(perfect)(past)'add{we}.   {you(singular)}(accusative)  commend{i}  for  wise(adjective)
do(participle)  and  for  future(accusative)  remember(participle)-  despite  present(genitive)
horror(plural).  remain  humble-  and  learn  past(instrumental)
{we}(genitive)(plural)  defeat(accusative)(plural)  necessary{he}  remember  and  and  {we}(genitive)(plural)
victory(accusative)(plural).  and  history  himself(accusative)   (intensifier)good(adjective)  record{he}  when
remember  be{he}  fresh(adjective).

because  (unknown prefix li)Vasuda(adjective)  crew(adjective)  shortage  himself(accusative)  be{he}-
(unknown prefix li)Terra(adjective)  (unknown prefix ro)history(accusative)  (past)hire'{we}  this  KARIG(accusative)  record
. amuse(adjective)  pseudonym(instrumental)/half(adjective)  myriad(adjective)  GUUBER(plural)\
himself(accusative)  call{he}-  and  among  (unknown prefix li)Terra(ablative)  himself(accusative)  (ameliorative)RUT
know{he}.  trust{i}  that  WOSIKAF(adjective)  work(accusative)  (future)TUUV{you(singular)}.

(unknown prefix ro)history  record(adjective)  copy(accusative)  person(adjective)  node(instrumental)
Holonet(genitive)  game(adjective)  sector(locative)  (perfect)(past)provide{he}.  hand(adjective)
access(accusative)(imperative){you(singular)}/flameIDEDAH 3\page(allative)  navigate(participle)(instrumental).
password  be{he}  CHOGAH  JUUVAK(adjective)  (unknown prefix ro)direct(genitive)  {you(singular)}(genitive)
KOYAL(locative).

this  YOSTERB(accusative)  for  {you(singular)}(genitive)  approve  humble(adjective)  send{i}.
(ameliorative)RUT  make(imperative){you(singular)}.

So it looks like we still lack a real lot of words.
Except for the first line, "Vasudan Imperial Navy", I can't really make sense of anything.
(BTW if anyone wonders where that font file came from: It's pretty buried in the holonet; under Reference Information / Species / Vasudans, there is a link for a "Translation Service". Following it leads to an error message [seems like the translation service is dysfunctional], but there, we can "Update our Character Set".)

Updated on Dec 15 to incorporate latest Vasudan words up to "ji-muu'-chah".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:20:24 pm by faxi »

Offline faxi

One small observation: so far, every even post (2,4 and 6) has contained an obvious puzzle, while the other ones have "only" contained text (although at least one of them mentions information that seems to be important further down the line).

Let's see if this continues...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Jesus Christ. Goober, you evil, evil man.

Offline MikeRoz

Word of the day archive has been updated, and so has my post.

Also, faxi,
My result is very similar to that of MikeRoz (the differences are mainly because we seem to have hacked our scripts a little differently, but the net information is pretty much the same :) ):
You give me too much credit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:08:41 pm by MikeRoz »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks like this is somewhat of a prolonged puzzle.  We keep plugging each day's new words in until something starts to make sense.  From the little we have to go on, I wonder if it's not an order to conduct some sort of secret test or study, what with the multiple instances of "to record."

(Also, it's about time someone went uber-nerdy and came up with a smattering of Vasudan language. Good on the team. :p)

Offline faxi

@Mike sorry - probably my last post sounded pretty arrogant. Seems like your results were a lot better than mine - my program screwed up with various suffix-combinations and I only understood that reflexive pronouns can be be declined by looking at your output again with more attention and then going back to the language reference.
So basically - good job.

Anyway, I have also updated my output as well, fixing various weirdnesses and adding the latest word of the day.
It seems like there are two prefixes ("LI" and "RO") which are not mentioned in the language reference. I have marked them in my output.

Offline MikeRoz

@Mike sorry - probably my last post sounded pretty arrogant. Seems like your results were a lot better than mine - my program screwed up with various suffix-combinations and I only understood that reflexive pronouns can be be declined by looking at your output again with more attention and then going back to the language reference.
So basically - good job.
What I meant was, you assumed I used a script. This assumes I have perl skills, which I don't. Mine was entirely a manual find/replace session with my favorite text editor.

Also,
(9:57:07 PM) LelouchViBritannia: So it looks like we're going to have to wait day by day to see the word of the day archive update
(10:33:42 PM) Nuclear: yeah thats how it looks
(10:40:10 PM) Nuclear left the room (quit: Quit: Client Exited).
(11/10/2008 12:57:17 AM) BotenAnna [[email protected]] entered the room.
(2:07:58 AM) Lurker5000: meh
(2:08:06 AM) Lurker5000: there is stuff that can be figured out that hasn't been figured out yet

Offline faxi

What I meant was, you assumed I used a script. [...] Mine was entirely a manual find/replace session with my favorite text editor.
Human intelligence, I see  ;).

After some attempts, I hacked together a few sed-scripts since I am also not too comfortable with perl.
I am attaching the stuff that I use for anybody who might be interested. The only thing that requires editing is vas_words.sed. A Unixoid computer is necessary to run it. I am using automated regular-expression-based replacements that are applied to the text. It required a bit of tweaking though to get the replacement order right for suffixes (should be quite ok now) and to try to guard against various false replacements.
I figured that I want to be prepared if they throw more Vasudan text at us :)

Concerning this:
(2:07:58 AM) Lurker5000: meh
(2:08:06 AM) Lurker5000: there is stuff that can be figured out that hasn't been figured out yet
[/quote]

Hmm...
  • one obvious candidate are the weird post dates. They have been around since the beginning and the title for the third post ("interesting times") explicitly hinted towards the oddness of these dates. I can't imagine that they would hang something like this in front of our noses and supply the solution so much later, but I have no idea what the point could be.

One weird thing that I only noticed now is the following statement in "Interesting Times": "I've been getting a number of hits on those orders I uploaded on the 15th". The post to which this refers (Some more Highlights) has a post date of November 05, 1926, 02:34:55 AM.  This difference could really be a buried hint.

It's hard to know when "Some more Highlights" was actually posted (actual time), The first replies are from Oct 25, but I don't think that our actual dates should have something to do with it.
  • Also, we don't know what Hades/Eumenides mean.

Also, the post titles could be hints. "On the destruction of a multitude" could imply that something has to be divided by a certain number. "Always one step behind" can also be a structural/mathematical hint". So far I have no idea where any of this could apply, though.

I guess we have to go back to the older messages and have to look for small oddities/discrepancies.

Edit: one more thing struck me -

The 5th post contains the following piece of text:
The first good thing is that it's a hell of a lot easier to get a date now that everyone's convinced the end of the world is just around the corner.
I don't know if this guy thinks about women in such a situation, but it can well be that he makes a point that with this message, it's become easy for the first time, to correlate a post to an actual event and therefore to an actual date, by checking the dates of the news feed.

So the date information that we have would look like this:

post date   post time                                       
10/10/26   17:07:28   Can anyone hear me   
26/10/26   18:54:58   Not as it appears   
30/10/26   18:18:24   Interesting Times   
05/11/26   02:34:55   Some more Highlights   
09/11/26   11:02:32   On the destruction of a Multidude       News about this event: February 31/March 1 2335 (probably Marc 1, because this is when they were finished)
16/11/26   01:39:14   Always one Step behind

[attachment deleted by necromancer]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:34:02 am by faxi »

Offline MikeRoz

The dates have been bugging me too. Almost like we're overflowing the Unix epoch, except then it would be 1970, not 1926. If only I had my own SMF to play around with.

I don't see how the post times could have more than academic interest, unless there's a mathematical pattern of some sort we can use to unlock something else.

Edit: New word in the VWorD, updated my post. It's not one in the letter, unforunately.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:20:40 am by MikeRoz »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think that line was just filler, I doubt Goob sorry i mean Aadarsh would devise something this complex. At least not in a timed release per thread. Where's the correlation to the matter in hand :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline MikeRoz

I think that line was just filler, I doubt Goob sorry i mean Aadarsh would devise something this complex. At least not in a timed release per thread. Where's the correlation to the matter in hand :confused:
What reason do we have to believe that the post times are any more legitimate than the post dates?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Maybe it's just a matter of correlating the post dates to the events in the FS1 timeline, which I think someone talked about doing in another thread.  If we can figure out when certain news posts on the Holonet went up, maybe we can get an idea of what's going on with Aadarsh's calendar.

Offline faxi

What reason do we have to believe that the post times are any more legitimate than the post dates?
True, the times could also be manipulated for a certain reason.

Maybe it's just a matter of correlating the post dates to the events in the FS1 timeline, which I think someone talked about doing in another thread.  If we can figure out when certain news posts on the Holonet went up, maybe we can get an idea of what's going on with Aadarsh's calendar.
Well, when according to our calendar, the news went up on the holonet might be hard to know. I posted the only obvious connection I can see between a post and a holonet news:
09/11/26   11:02:32   On the destruction of a Multidude <-->  Holonet news from February 31/March 1 2335

If this relationship is extrapolated in a linear manner, then this would give the following dates:
10/10/26   17:07:28   Can anyone hear me                            Jan     30 2335 (16 days before next post)
26/10/26   18:54:58   Not as it appears                                   Feb.   15 2335 (4 days before next post)
30/10/26   18:18:24   Interesting Times                                  Feb.   19 2335 (6 days before next post)
05/11/26   02:34:55   Some more Highlights                         Feb.   25 2335 (4 days before next post)
09/11/26   11:02:32   On the destruction of a Multidude     March 1 2335 (news about finished destruction Vasuda)
16/11/26   01:39:14   Always one Step behind                      March 8 2335 (7 days after prev. post)

Sadly, I don't see where this should lead us.
Also, I don't know if there exists any date information (e.g. in the Hard-Light Wiki) that one could try to correlate to these dates with.

Jan 30 is a bit of a funny date, because this is the date when the Einstein's mission would have regularly ended. Its mission briefing - both the official as well as the secret one - start on January 1 2335 and the duration of this mission is planned as 30 days.

It could well be though that the dates (and times) are just numbers that have to be used in a certain way. I just don't have a good idea where and how.
____

Btw. I find the idea of using HERODOT-AH as Vasudan word for "History" a pretty neat idea  :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:54:03 am by faxi »