Author Topic: Capital Ship Combat  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Darster

Hello all,

I am having a lot of fun with TBP creating what-if scenarios with Fred.  However I am noticing that when capital ships fight, they tend to eventually end up just firing broadsides and so cannot use their primary beam weapons which are front/rear mounted. 

I am considering some stratagems to minimize this behavior but rather than reinvent the wheel, has anyone come across/solved this problem?

Darin

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's to do with the way the original FS2 worked iirc, ships tended to align side-on, rather than face on in combat.

I think there's an AI tweak around that might solve the problem, but I'm not sure where, and I'm not even 100% certain it's compatible with TBP :(

The best bet at this stage is probably exactly what you are doing, writing the missions to work around the problem.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Use waypoints instead of just giving attack orders. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Or clear goals when at a range of say 2500 to 3000 meters.. They stop and fire at each other at that distance.

Edit you`ll have to use a (sexp) to do it this way though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:48:02 pm by Whitelight »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Darster

Thanks to everyone that responded.  In case others are interested/wish to know, I have so far tried using waypoints to get the ships to intercept and then engage each other.  This works rather well for situations where only a few ships. 

I am also playing around with some of the Sexps that will work with 4 or more ships.

Offline Skullar

Darster is setting up the Battle Of Endor ;)

Offline cloneof

I actually don`t mind Battle Of Endor battles, if their good enough quality that is.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I actually don`t mind Battle Of Endor battles, if theY'RE good enough quality that is.

Grammar inquisition strikes again  :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
No body expects the Grammar Inquisition!  :D

I actually don`t mind Battle Of Endor battles, if their good enough quality that is.

Battle of endors are are fun but scary, especially with heavy use of beam weapons. You never know whether you'll buy it from enemy or friendly fire.
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Skullar

Personally, I am on the heavily-scripted side, and it is quite a lot of work to incite capship battles if you do it my way.

I don't like it when capships end up in a cluster ****. Especially battlecrabs have a nasty habit of not-getting-into-firing-position.