Author Topic: Very interesting WC info:  (Read 2417 times)

Offline starlord

Very interesting WC info:
Hi folks, After digging out a bit my copy of "forced alliance: the glarious mandate" and after having contacted the game's producer AJ redmer, I noticed that I recieved much more info that I've initially bargained for. How does this concern WC fans you say? Read on and you'll see:

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for your interest in Forced Alliance. I worked on that title a long time ago and do not remember that many details today. Here is a summary of what comes to mind.

I started to make this game as a result of two other games I was involved with in the past. While I was working at Lucasfilm Games in the late 1980's, I considered starting a space combat game based on Star Wars. I discussed this with our friends at Origin Sytems (especially Chris Roberts). Chris began work on a game code named X-Wing Commander. The first ship to fly in the game engine (based on Battle of Britain and Loom) was the Millenium Falcon. We were co-developing a few Star Wars games with Orgin Systems at the time. When Origin Systems broke off distribution relations with Broderbund and began working with Electronics Arts, we all decided to go separate ways. Chris turned the game into Wing Commander and I started X-Wing. Chris and I are still friendly today. X-Wing was not completed with the ranking system I wanted so I started Alien Alliance with Virgin Interactive. This game later became Forced Alliance and was published by RipCord (which was owned by Panasonic and the 3DO company). I do not remember putting cheat codes into the game. I do remember my passion for what I called consequence of action (interactive storyline), consequence of rank (promotions and change in gameplay) and roshambo (rock, paper, scissors battle AI). I would very much like to make a game like this again someday.

Thanks for rekindling my memories.

AJ

For info, forced alliance is a must have regarding space sims and is available on the usual amazon/ebay sites as well as CDaccess. Also, be advised that I've given the links of this fine community to AJ redmer and that it's not impossible he might pop in to say hello someday.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Very interesting WC info:
Endorsement = :yes:

By Endorsement i mean "epic founder" appreciation, nothing too legally construed :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starlord

A little more info on forced alliance here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/forcedalliance/index.html

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Interesting finding. I have never heard of the game...as did the reviewer before this.
The idea of consequenz and the rock/paper/scissors sound interesting.

"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline starlord

Might someone (since I'm banned :doubt:) post this info at the CIC?