Author Topic: Sun effect  (Read 6020 times)

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
I' wouldnt know. Sorry.

Are you trying to  make an Atmosphere environment?
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I'm after a "dust" effect for my Asteroid field mission.

Since there is yet no option to make the full nebula "more transparent" and increase the distance you can spot ships, i've thought this would be the best approach to get the effect.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I mean the effect you see when you are flying through a full nebula, only without the colored background.
I thought it's possible to have those clouds and make the background ( pattern ) transparent.

You mean to see the stars right behind the nebula?? like a more "transparent" nebula?
el hombre vicio...

I'm after a "dust" effect for my Asteroid field mission.
Yeah, I'm surprised there isn't more dust implemented in the asteroid fields in FS2. It is after all, a dirty bunch of floating rocks.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I mean the effect you see when you are flying through a full nebula, only without the colored background.
I thought it's possible to have those clouds and make the background ( pattern ) transparent.

You mean to see the stars right behind the nebula?? like a more "transparent" nebula?

Imagine there are "dust clouds" on this picture. :)

You know what? I was honestly thinking about saying that. How hard would dust clouds be to implement in FSO?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
It would require changes to the code, the way the engine handles nebulaes.

I think it's possible to get that effect without coding, using effects ( anis, like explosions, asteroids, whatever ) that are triggered somehow.

I hope someone can tell me if it's possible to use the clouds ( pattern ) in conjunction with a transparent background ( poof ). Like i said earlier, i get an blue background with that file i mentioned earlier.
Either i did something wrong or the engine don't like transparent backgrounds as poofs and colors them blue.
I hope it's the former...

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
you could always try a starfield background

*Keep the cloud pattern same
*change background part from transparent to a starfield
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Tried replacing the transparent file i created with the starfield, the result was an blue background. This is odd,'cause the blue background seems to be set by the engine if no Pattern is available ( a while back, i tried to add nebula to the game, i had only the nbackcust file, which was grey. I accidently checked nbackblack - the result was a blue background, although there was only colored pattern ( the grey one ) )

Can someone test that too?

Any help is most appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:04:03 pm by Angelus »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Tried replacing the transparent file i created with the starfield, the result was an blue background. This is odd,'cause the blue background seems to be set by the engine if no Pattern is available ( a while back, i tried to add nebula to the game, i had only the nbackcust file, which was grey. I accidently checked nbackblack - the result was a blue background, although there was only colored pattern ( the grey one ) )

Hi, just noticed yout PM... I have never seen a blue background due to missing textures, but I have seen completely white background due to exceedingly large texture size (on my older graphics card), and (IIRC) the background was also set on white in case of a missing texture once, so perhaps you should check the texture sizes and what is supported by your graphics device.

Can't really help more without seeing the files themselves though.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Hi, just noticed yout PM... I have never seen a blue background due to missing textures, but I have seen completely white background due to exceedingly large texture size (on my older graphics card), and (IIRC) the background was also set on white in case of a missing texture once, so perhaps you should check the texture sizes and what is supported by your graphics device.

Can't really help more without seeing the files themselves though.

Thx for the response Herra. :)

The transparent pattern/ background i created, has the same size as the ones i found in FSO.
The prob is, it doesn't show up as transparent.

The starfield was reduced in size to fit the size of the original file.
My Gfx is a ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB DDR3, it should handle such files well.

If you have some free time, i could send you the two files.