Author Topic: Question on StarFury Configurations  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Question on StarFury Configurations
After setting up the DVD release (v.1) and enjoying a few missions, I have started to wonder about some aspects of the current StarFury models (both the Aurora and the Thunderbolt).

(A.) The Aurora:
Though the model is comparatively low-poly in comparison to some newer total conversion models or even some of the new FreeSpace SCP ships, it looks rather good. The problem is that the fighter only has two guns; most every model (physical or computer generated) I have ever seen has four-the missing pair being in the upper wing roots beside the fuselage. Can someone explain this aspect?

(B.) The Thunderbolt:
Perhaps I shouldn't ask this question as I'm not too familiar with Babylon 5, but what appears to be the official Thunderbolt image (available at shipschematics.net) which I have displays the atmospheric control surfaces at the rear of the fighter facing away from the fuselage; the model in the mod has them pointing towards it. I've noted that either configuration is fairly common across the web. It would be good to have this explained as well...

It is possible this issue has been addressed before, but I have yet to see it.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Question on StarFury Configurations
A) An error possibly but the fact is that only the two guns we included ever seemed to fire in the show. The question as to why the other two didn't fire came up in a magazine interview once and JMS didn't have a good answer past basically saying something along the lines of... "it's TV show".

B) Wing tips out for atmospheric flight. Wing tips in for space flight. I'm sure there's a phsyics related reason the ship functions better with tips in for space flight.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
it has a smaller profile then, making it more difficult to hit or ram
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It reduces the moment of inertia of the ship slightly (moves some mass towards the center of gravity), even though the wing tips would be too light to have any practical effect.

Different configurations probably would have more of an effect on different atmospheric velocities. More wing span increases the glide ratio slightly, but on a re-entry you would definitely want to keep the wings folded inward. Also, opening the wing tips alters handling a bit if there are any control surfaces on the wing tips... opening them moves the control surfaces further from center of gravity, which increases the momentum that those control surfaces apply to the ship, and when you turn the wing tips to vertical position, you get vertical stabilizers if you need some. They're probably also used in conjunction with some active stability system, because I once built a Thunderbolt StarFury on X-Plane and it wasn't stable at all. I could fly it but onyl because of the insane engine power and thrust vectoring... :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Vidmaster

because I once built a Thunderbolt StarFury on X-Plane and it wasn't stable at all. I could fly it but onyl because of the insane engine power and thrust vectoring... :lol:

did you test it under Mars Conditions?

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You know, I have considered building the Thunderbolt in X-Plane as well...

If there is ever a future release of TBP (I'm sure there will be...), is it possible that a second primary bank could be added to the StarFuries to allow a four-cannon armament? At least in FRED for user-made campaigns or single missions?

Merely a thought...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
TBP 3.4b is FINAL there will be no future releases.  If you want the model then you need to make it yourself and create a mod. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Safety on the ignorance.

Thank you for the head's up, though. I assure you a mod/(good)campaign will not come from me for a significant amount of time; schooling can assure such things good and proper.

-Thaeris

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Vidmaster

exactly. And for that reason TBP has been declared final. There has to be an end to development  :)