Author Topic: the right post in the wrong place  (Read 3130 times)

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
the right post in the wrong place
Yeah I know that it is not supposed to be here it should be in the FRED forum but I am not familiar to this forum I post it here anyways I want just a quick answer so excuse me for this post :

The question is : What are the set-time-compression and reset-time-compression SEXP for ?
Next question  : Same question for lock-perspective.

Thanks in advance.
TBP's apprentice FREDDER.

Campaign in development:
Guardian of Light (Demo state)(Download DEMO here)
The First Invasion - Part 1 (Planning Concept)

Single Mission :
Human-Narn First Contact (Download here)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: the right post in the wrong place
Set time compression makes the game run faster/ slower ( think of it as Bullet time for slower and the fast forward button on your DVD player as faster  :D).
Reset time compression resets the value to default.

Lock perspective does what it says, it locks the perspective, for example:

You set up a cut scene, set the viewing point to a location or a ship, then you can use that to lock perspective.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

Yeah I know that it is not supposed to be here it should be in the FRED forum but I am not familiar to this forum I post it here anyways I want just a quick answer so excuse me for this post :

Hmmms,

This is rather bad form. :doubt:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Set time compression makes the game run faster/ slower ( think of it as Bullet time for slower and the fast forward button on your DVD player as faster  :D).
Reset time compression resets the value to default.

Lock perspective does what it says, it locks the perspective, for example:

You set up a cut scene, set the viewing point to a location or a ship, then you can use that to lock perspective.

Ok thanks. Would you please explain to me the meaning of the 3 parameters of set-time-compression ?

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
*wearing moderator hat*
if even more fredding questions threads pop up here, I will start moving these topics.
*Putting head off*

the parameters are explained in the description box of the event editor!  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
*wearing moderator hat*
if even more fredding questions threads pop up here, I will start moving these topics.
*Putting head off*

the parameters are explained in the description box of the event editor!  :)

Dont wear hat you have nice hair you know.
I know but the description box is very lack of information, I can understand the meaning of the first parameter, but not the next 2.

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
The first argument is usually the one you need, the other 2 are optional.

The first one: the number you enter there is the value in percent, by which the game will be played faster/ slower.

The second one: is the time in milliseconds for the new value to take effect, means if you use the default speed on mission/ cutscene start, and don't use the second argument, the game will instantly increase/ decrease speed to the new value.
With a value entered, the acceleration will run smoother.

Think about the movie Matrix:
when they switch to bullet time, they start from normal speed, then there is a noticeable slowdown before they show the rest of the scene in the bullet time speed.
Just check the scene on the roof where the Agent is firing on Neo, shortly before Trinity is popping a bullet in the Agents head, that's a perfect example.

The third: the value from which the new value will start from, means: usually you star from default, with the third argument you can start in slow-mo/ fast forward then it will increase/ decrease to the new value.

You might wanna check Vidmaster's Dark Children campaign, it's using "the feature".

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Thank you Angelus.
I have already checked the "Dark Children" campaign before posting it here.
Just one last question : is there a way to make a "stop-time" effect, meaning that all other ship will stop moving, only the ship you allowed can move.
It can be done with ai_play_dead,  but if we can stop time even when there is an explosion, the effect will be much more cooler, so far, if we set-time-compression to
0, then the explosion will be stopped, but in the other hand every other things will also be stopped (sp we cannot do anything)

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I assume you mean the playership is allowed to move while anything else is "frozen in time"?

Ai play dead, would work for capships, but on fighters...not sure how it would look like.
Don't get me wrong here, it works for fighters too, what i mean it could look a bit odd.

My suggestion on this one: take a look at how Vidmaster did the bullet time in his Dark Children campaign, and then use the events with different values ( higher values ).

You also should use a different trigger ( has-arrived delay, is-destroyed-delay...whatever you think would fit/ be the best), since he's using the key-pressed SEXP in conjuction with the key-reset-multiple SEXP ( i guess ).

Unless you want to make the effect triggered by the player, of course.

Offline darkmaster

• TBP
    • Personal Website
Okay, did you play Half-life 2 ? I just wonder if I can make the same effect as at the end of Half-life 2, when there is an explosion that will surely kill the player and suddenly time stops ! But the player can still lookaround. It is just a thought so dont take it seriously.

Campaign in development:

Single Mission :

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Nope, never played it.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
1.) every ship but player -> clear orders + ai-play dead
2.) every ship but player -> turret-lock-all  / beam-lock-all
3.) every ship but player -> set-x-speed 0 + set-y-speed 0 + set-z-speed 0
(you could use the every-time sexp here, but I am afraid it would still be possible to push fighters around a little bit)

will work BUT if you crash into another fighter or and explosion takes place. This craft will then be pushed a bit backwards. There is a painful solution to that as well:

4.) every ship but player -> set coordinates sexp and then instead of entering coordinates, use the get-x-coordinate, get-y-coordinate, get-z-coordinate of the individual ship. Use a every-time sexp here, instead of the usual when
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.