Author Topic: 3.6.10  (Read 12075 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I gave this a go and I wasn't impressed  :(. Lots of ugly graphics bugs. Commetns about "buggy tables and models" don't wash with me. Basically anything that worked in 3.6.9 should work in 3.6.10 or your effectively dumping backward compatability.

Thing is, it is still backwards compatible. What's going on now is that debug builds complain about stuff that they silently let pass before. That stuff was wrong before. It's just that the game didn't tell you it was wrong and kept silently using it until it came across a problem it couldn't deal with and crashed. Now it tells you the data is wrong so that you can fix it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, the TBP launcher flag forces the 3d shockwave and 3d weapon selection flags as of the build coming out as soon as I let my computer make it.  Apparently it also needs the 3d ship selection flag or debug builds crash, so I'll be adding that one too for later.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Commetns about "buggy tables and models" don't wash with me.

I should have clarified, my bad .

By buggy tbls I ment a table that had data in the wrong place, or missing data. Some of that was my own fault  :nervous:

Models, I didn`t want you to think that TBP models were the blame, no, these models were form other sources.   :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:44:55 pm by Whitelight »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm surprised some of these things got through to final because they were even throwing errors in 3.6.9 debug versions.  So it's not all new errors in 3.6.10 debug builds.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Thing is, it is still backwards compatible. What's going on now is that debug builds complain about stuff that they silently let pass before.

I don't mind about debug build *****ing. I was more complaining about the ugly graphics glitches everywhere. Big black box shockwaves, odd looking maneuver thrusters. Hopefully this stuff is already in Mantis and being fixed. If there's one person I trust to spot and report this stuff it's the guy I left in charge of the mod. Fingers crossed.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The big black box shockwave was because of the lack of the 3d shockwave flag, and a particular asset TBP included that doesn't work.   It included the 2d shockwave, but Fubar noted that the 2d shockwave causes that problem when used in conjunction with a skybox.  So now the TBP flag forces the 3d shockwave one to circumvent this problem, whether it's a problem with the 2d shockwave asset or the code.  Not sure about the other bugs, but you should probably double check because I'm not familiar with the rest of what you mentioned.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
a particular asset TBP included that doesn't work

So something works in 3.6.9 but doesn't work in 3.6.10 and it's our fault for including it?

I see.  :(
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Shade

I tried to not comment, I really did, but I just can't now. What's with the negativity? Chief specifically posted that the TBP flag (due to a fix that he added) will now avoid the problem, yet you still take a dig at him. Seriously IPA, you seem to be on some sort of crusade against 3.6.10 and anyone working on it lately, even when they're doing their best to make it work with TBP.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
a particular asset TBP included that doesn't work

So something works in 3.6.9 but doesn't work in 3.6.10 and it's our fault for including it?

I see.  :(

I believe if there was a 3d shockwave the code would use it by default in 3.6.9.  The 3d flag became optional recently in 3.6.10.  So it highly probably the bug was always there it just was never seen. 

odd looking maneuver thrusters.

I haven't noticed anything.  Any particular ships you have noticed this on?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 04:22:57 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
The only (2) bugs I have found, have nothing to do with the launcher..
They are listed below.
(1)Opon a capship arrival, it will not have engine glows.. Only ships that are already in game have there glows.

(2) Using waypoint paths seems to be borked, If a path contains multiple waypoints the ship using the path stops at waypoint 1.1 and will not follow the path through.

As far as i`m concerned these are only a minor problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:33:48 pm by Whitelight »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
IPA, I'm not sure the 2d shockwave ever worked in 3.6.9.  You'd have never been able to test it as long as the shockwave.pof file existed.  If it was tested before that and it did work then there may be something wrong, but Fubar said it only breaks when used with the custom skybox.pof.  So it could be an issue in either of those things, or a code issue.  It's not worth sweating too much about since TBP isn't getting any more fixes anyway, so forcing 3d shockwaves with the TBP flag is the best option at this point, which I have done now, and the black boxes around shockwaves should be gone.  Report any other issues on Mantis and they'll get fixed.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The only (2) bugs I have found, have nothing to do with the launcher..
They are listed below.
(1)Opon a capship arrival, it will not have engine glows.. Only ships that are already in game have there glows.

(2) Using waypoint paths seems to be borked, If a path contains multiple waypoints the ship using the path stops at waypoint 1.1 and will not follow the path through.

I just did a test mission with 2 MidWinters and Novas.  One of each in game at mission start and the other 2 warping in 10 seconds into the mission.  All 4 had engine glows.  Are you getting this with a particular ship?

Did a test for the waypoint paths as well.  Had a Hyperion do a path with 3 points.  No problems. 

Suggest you grab the latest Knightly build and give it another try.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:57:49 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)

if this would actually occur, it wouldn't be minor at all. Almost all more-scripted campaigns depend on waypoint use.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Quote from: FUBAR-BDHR link=topic=58006.msg1174424#msg1174424
odd looking maneuver thrusters.

I haven't noticed anything.  Any particular ships you have noticed this on?

The Star Furies (not many of our ships employ maneuver thrusters.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:56:23 am by IPAndrews »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Can you clarify what you mean with odd? Black boxes or what ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The 2d shockwave apparently has a bad alpha channel so it makes a black box when used in conjunction with starfield.pof.  This results in a black square around the shockwave.  Enabling 3d shockwaves solves the problem and is now forced on if the TBP features flag is on in the latest 3.6.10 versions.

@IP:  I'll have to check on those thrusters.  I'm usually too busy evading enemy fire to notice them.  Screenshots would help. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:47:10 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Whitelight, if you could get a mission together that exhibits the waypoint problem, either with retail fs2 data or tbp final data (fs2 preferred) I'm sure a coder would like to make sure that gets fixed as soon as possible.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
@Vid Were you using 3.6.10 inf?  Thats the build that I had those bugs with.. Would a nightly build even support a 250 ship limit? I myself haven`t tried any nightly builds.
Oh and the glows are not present on any type capship that enters after mission start.

@chief1983 I`m not working on any projects at this time, I`m primarily tinkering with fred, what can I say, I like to tinker.  :D  As for making a mission, if I do it will be with TBP, and I don`t have a place to upload any material. Not even sure I could upload, I lack that kind of expertice.

Puts on dunce cap.  :sigh:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:36:33 pm by Whitelight »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well the inferno build would explain a lot.  Those bugs may have already been fixed that's why were not seeing them in the regular 3.6.10 build. 

If you have material you can always email one of us and we can upload it for you or you can use someplace like mediashare. 

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Ok, thanks.  :D

Give me a few days to work on one, something containing only TBP models.. My install, at the moment might introduce something you don`t already have and cause problems.(clean up my install).  :)  Anyway, what i`m messing with at the moment is pretty cheesey, not suitable for public enjoyment.   :D  :nervous: