Author Topic: 3.6.10  (Read 12064 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Or, a mission should be able to fit as an attachment to a forum post, but you may need to zip/7z it first.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Just tried out the thrusters in 3.6.9 and in the latest 3.6.10.  I didn't see any difference.  Front ones look strange in both as they are kind of 2 dimensional. 

Was there a particular ship you were noticing the problem on?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
As I said earlier the problem was with the Star Fury. They looked completely wrong, but I don't have time to take screenshots and we may even be using different builds. As there doesn't seem to be any easy to follow release candidate system this time round. If you're tried a recent build and there is no problem. Great. Hopefully the bug was nailed.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I did take a screenshot when I was testing last night.  Does this look right to you?

No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
That's certainly not what I saw. Which is good. I saw a very obvious mess. I will need to try a newer build. Which brings me back to the original question I asked eons ago. Can someone recommend a good build? What are you using Fubar? Any issues?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I'm doing my testing with the latest.  Right now thats r4985 from the Knightly build forum.  I'll probably recommend switching to it or an even newer build for multi testing. 

I do like the release candidate system but am holding off on it until a couple more bugs are fixed. 

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
IPA, the point of the nightly build system is that you always have the latest available code base only ~4MB away.  The later the build you can test on the better, but the important thing is knowing what build it was you had problems on.  Every build is labeled with a date and SVN revision now in the filename, as long as you don't get creative with renaming them it should be a matter of noting the filename to gather that information after you find a bug.  These aren't RCs, they're just the flow of progress.  They're not intended to be final just yet, but they should be very close, and most people seem to be happy with the overall development since 3.6.9.  We're working on increasing that percentage now (hopefully to include Mac users eventually).  That said, as bugs are being fixed every day it doesn't help a lot to repeatedly state there is a bug when it has already been fixed.  A 'good build' then, is pretty much the latest you can find if you're going to actually try to find and report bugs.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
IPA, the point of the nightly build system is that you always have the latest available code base only ~4MB away.

Chief. I'm not interested in beta testing. I'm not interested in bug reporting. Sorry to be so selfish but I really, really don't have time. All i'm interested in is finding a stable build I can design missions with. Now I do appreciate it's a somewhat unrealistic goal. After all if the build was completely stable it would probably be a release or release candidate. That said I'm looking to find something as close to that as possible. Given I don't have the time to try every build from the most recent in reverse order trying to determine which is the most stable, I'm looking for someone to give me the benefit of their experience and recommend one. Which I assume may, or may not, be the most recent one. Since the link between a build's age and it's stability has never been a reliable one.

Actually this is just turning into me arguing with the SCP team about sod all. So forget it I'll use 3.6.9.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I was just about to recommend that if that's what you want it for.  You might be better off with Kara's standalone fixes build though.  It's a favorite for a lot of multiplayer usage and the error checking is much closer to what will be in 3.6.10.  Numerous bugs have been fix in it of course but many of those are in 3.6.9 too so there's not much difference there.  Not sure if that had a regular and debug build or not though.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The 4985 revision is the most stable I've found so far.   Until this point I've been saying to use Kara's multi test build.  Now I'm saying this one is the one to use.  I've played for 2 days on it in debug mode with only one crash and that seems to have been either a fluke or a bad ship order.  Somehow a ship tried to attack itself.  Probably wouldn't have even cause a problem in the regular build. 

There is one problem to be aware of.  The game will crash if you go into the mission simulator twice without exiting the game.  Don't know why on this one yet.  It's been happening for awhile now I just finally narrowed it down and got it reported about a week ago.  This is the only TBP specific bug I know of at this point. 

There is no problem with using 3.6.9.  If you write it in 3.6.9 FRED it will work in 3.6.10.  I still use 3.6.9-INF FRED to do most things.  I only have 2 missions I am using 3.6.10 FRED for.  One is due to there being over 100 ships.  The other is due to several bugs that has been fixed in 3.6.10.  Most of those bugs I found making that mission. 

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I was just about to recommend that if that's what you want it for.  You might be better off with Kara's standalone fixes build though.  It's a favorite for a lot of multiplayer usage and the error checking is much closer to what will be in 3.6.10.  Numerous bugs have been fix in it of course but many of those are in 3.6.9 too so there's not much difference there.  Not sure if that had a regular and debug build or not though.

I think that build was made before Taylor fixed the support ship problem in TBP.  I wouldn't use anything older then 11-11-08. 

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah.  I was partially thinking that was a good choice for the lack of GLSL.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
you guys and your need for updates :wtf: .
Although, I admit we need a new build for multiplayer.

Still, as long as there is no offical 3.6.10, I'll do as IP already stated, I stick (and fred) for 3.6.9  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well we have to with all these people demanding that we most make an update.

There's nothing wrong with doing development in 3.6.9, it's still technically the latest stable release.  It's just lacking quite a few of the features you are probably waiting for.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
3.6.9. is absaolutely fine :yes:

TBP is absolutely perfect as it is "if it aint broke, don't fix it" :nod:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Vidmaster

:yes:

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

But it is broke. Just look at Mantis reports by FUBAR. :p There are a lot of things that simply don't work in 3.6.9. And I'm not talking about just in FS2. There are a lot of little petty annoyances in FRED that are fixed in 3.6.10.

Off the top of my head

-No Undo (or at least a badly broken one).
-Problems with SEXPs using string variables or arguments which force  you to use notepad
-Having to place a hostile ship in order to unlock all the SEXPs
-Inability to use a string variable with a Null value (It always had to be something that the SEXPs it was in would accept as a ship or weapon or whatever)
-Can't assign goals to a ship in an <argument> SEXP
-Campaign Editor randomly crashes on start up

And that's just the stuff I fixed in the last month or so. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Most of that list just affects hardcore mission designers.

But this one made me sad.  :(

Offline Vidmaster

-No Undo (or at least a badly broken one).
-Problems with SEXPs using string variables or arguments which force  you to use notepad
-Having to place a hostile ship in order to unlock all the SEXPs
-Inability to use a string variable with a Null value (It always had to be something that the SEXPs it was in would accept as a ship or weapon or whatever)
-Can't assign goals to a ship in an <argument> SEXP

- set-z-speed (or similar sexps) can't be over the ship's speed limit when the ship is facing the the mentioned direction (that one is currently my personal nightmare).
- the random problem

I know, I know. But if you are going to tell me now, that 3.6.10 will be bug free (remember that I am also working for WCS and they use a lot of the new features) then...      :no:
I already agreed to make 3.6.10 offical for multi and also to recommend it for single IF all current 3.6.9 campaigns can be played properly. Still, I would like to have the setup of the game as easy as possible, not all users are HLP veterans :rolleyes:

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
The 2d shockwave apparently has a bad alpha channel so it makes a black box when used in conjunction with starfield.pof.  This results in a black square around the shockwave.  Enabling 3d shockwaves solves the problem and is now forced on if the TBP features flag is on in the latest 3.6.10 versions.

@IP:  I'll have to check on those thrusters.  I'm usually too busy evading enemy fire to notice them.  Screenshots would help. 

Uh. Actually ALL of the (MediaVP ones at least) shockwave textures (2D and 3D) have NO alpha channel. They are not supposed to. Hope that helps clarify anything.

Why? Because as the effects that they are, they don't need one.

And they haven't ever had one either.

Now, if the TBP ones have Alpha channels, that might be the problem right there.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys