Author Topic: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread  (Read 304111 times)

Re: 3.6.10 Media VPs Discussion Thread
So do you guys like the new cockpit glass? I'm not sure if I really like it since we see less detail of the inside of the cockpit and less detail on the pilot. What do you guys think? I actually kind of want to go back to the old ones.

Offline Qent

Is there a way to enable lightspeed nebulas in fs2 campaign 3.6.10?  It works in 3.6.10 zeta, but only normal high res nebula in final.

Nebulas are working fine for me. Make sure you have MV_Effects and MV_Assets in your MediaVPs directory.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
So do you guys like the new cockpit glass? I'm not sure if I really like it since we see less detail of the inside of the cockpit and less detail on the pilot. What do you guys think? I actually kind of want to go back to the old ones.
I'm okay with the fact it shows the reflection of explosions and nebulae but the fact that it's extremely dark and barely shows anything inside bothers me too.

Is there a way to enable lightspeed nebulas in fs2 campaign 3.6.10?  It works in 3.6.10 zeta, but only normal high res nebula in final.

Nebulas are working fine for me. Make sure you have MV_Effects and MV_Assets in your MediaVPs directory.

I mean like the one below. what surrender belisaurius looks like in 3.6.10 zeta with lightspeed nebula instead of the normal blue one.

-clarification.  This is from 3.6.10 beta with sd1119vp and advanced effectsvp(think it's the one with the custom nebula and star tables for fs2 missions)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:06:07 pm by tamshiwen »

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Huh, a cyan star? You have star lighting on your ship too.
Found out up until TSM-104 I don't have ambient lighting.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
First up, there is no 3.6.10 Zeta.

If you mean 3.6.8 Zeta, that's fine.

Between then and now, Stellar Enhancements package was put in. They were in the preceding 3.6.10's and in these 3.6.10's. Nothing in terms of that changed.

If there are differences in mission regarding the lighting between the LAST 3.6.10 and THIS 3.6.10, then we need to be aware of this, even though nothing has changed that should have caused any differences.

In the "Surrender, Belisarius" mission, there is still a sun. Look at the planet. Rotate the ship in the direction the planets highlighting is showing you that the sun should be in. You can't miss it. And nothing changed regarding the ambient light level in the mission. And since 3.6.8, all iterations of 3.6.10 have included Lightspeeds nebula. But again, the stellar enhacements package may have adjusted some of the background per mission that will have them looking different than in 3.6.8 Zeta or Retail.

Further, the 3.6.8 sun being green is _bad_. Retail does not have a green sun, it has a Gold sun.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

while I'm at it, I also noticed like you did zane that ambient lighting and specular lighting seem to be off in the first two missons.  This is what I get in 3.6.10 final in surrender belisarius

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
And nothing changed regarding the ambient light level in the mission.
First up, something's wrong with the ambient light in the mission.

This was taken with my ship looking directly at the star, with the view showing the front of the ship to show that, despite it's facing a star, there's no light on it.
It's like this on mission two, mission three, all the way until you pass TSM-104, with the exception of the training missions themselves, which have lighting.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I found the problem. And it's not actually a problem per-se, but now I know what is going on.

The mission got changed from 3.6.8Z to 3.6.10 from using SunGreen to SunDeneb. (Retail value is SunGold)

However, SunDeneb in the mv_effects-str.tbm has a MUCH lower Intensity value than either SunGreen or SunGold.

Hence, while the sun is there, the Solar lighting on the models is greatly reduced. So, it is doing exactly as it should be doing, but I gather that the over all effect is less endearing.

So. The proper phrasing of the problem is not "There is no sun" but, "There is no solar lighting that I can see".
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

So I'm replaying the campaign from 0 and I get this when try to run "A lion at the door", I think it might be the new mvp's because I just extracted the retail file and played through it without problems... or maybe the pilot file but I'm not sure, played with two different builds. (RC3 final and fs2_open_3_6_11r.exe.

this is what I get when I run with debug exe RC3:

Code: [Select]
Error: Invalid ship/wing name.

In sexpression: ( is-destroyed-delay 5 "GTT Argo 01" )
(Error appears to be: GTT Argo 01)
File: MissionParse.cpp
Line: 6096

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_mission()    parse_main()    mission_load()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c817077()
------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone can check this, I don't want to upload to mantis without knowing for sure it's a mvp issue.

Actually, that's not possible. "A Lion at the Door" has no Argo's in it. TSM-104 on the other hand, DOES, and yes, it is broken.

See, I'm really pissed. FRED should have caught these bugs, as I loaded _every_ mission into FRED after changing the ship  to remove the Prefix of Ship Class from the Name displayed in the HUD, suspifically to catch things like this.

It also failed to warn me about "break-warp" cannot be assigned to a wing in one of the CoOp missions.

I am fixing these as they occur. TSM-104 will have a mantis entry.

Hello, I'm new here, and experienced the same problem - how do I resolve?  Thanks in advance for your patience.  Cheers, HawaiiMars

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Generally, we don't tend to make pre-release  announcements. Since any number of things can go wrong and etc.

BUT. Due to the nature of the frustrations this reRelease has caused (and was supposed to fix), I'm going to go out on a limb here and state the following:

A patch is currently in the Testing phase as a VP.

And pending that it is found to be complete, a release Announcement will be made and the reRelease post updated accordingly.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Why are all missile trails red? As if every missile was of Shivan origin?
Potato!

Offline Qent

Only the Harpoon and Trebuchet should have red trails. Make sure you have no other mods enabled.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Indeed. Both with and without the patch (See post 2 of the Release Topic) do not show red trails on any that are not supposed to have red trails.

And as Qent has already mentioned, Harpoon and Trebuchet trails are red. No idea, ask :v:

As for the Shivan missiles, all of those ARE red trails.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought Shivan missile trails were orange originally.

Or maybe I'm messing them up with the Helios... :nervous:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Marbred

Why is the only thing in the first post a link to what this topic is actually for?
You couldn't edit it into that post?

Or maybe not have every link that says it's going to the release topic actually come to this topic?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Technical issues. But you are of course correct about the first post in this thread.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

So I'm replaying the campaign from 0 and I get this when try to run "A lion at the door", I think it might be the new mvp's because I just extracted the retail file and played through it without problems... or maybe the pilot file but I'm not sure, played with two different builds. (RC3 final and fs2_open_3_6_11r.exe.

I just downloaded the patch and I could play the mission, only I got no dialogue from the pilots... looks like those where deleted or something like that, anyways I could play through it and now proceding to the next series of missions.

I'll post this on mantis if I confirm it's a mvp issue on a couple of hours.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Umm. Which 3.6.11r build? Which svn revision?
Also, I cannot confirm that bug. The dialogue, both scripted and the random pilot chatter, work for me. Are you sure this happened on "A lion at the door"?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:06:49 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I was using the 3.6.10 final V IIRC.
I'm not at home right now so I can't confirm it's a mvp or build issue, or maybe a *****d up pilot file.
Will check those and report back.
el hombre vicio...