Author Topic: White backgrounds  (Read 1962 times)

To get this thread out of the media vp's thread, I'd like to talk further here.

A little recap: I've installed the new media vp's and run various nightly builds and the stable 3.6.9 and I get only white backgrounds. With both files, together or sperate, it won't work. What is the next step?

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Latest graphic driver?

Have you checked if you downloaded corrupt vps?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline CaptJosh

The most obvious problem is that you're trying to use a 3.6.9 build with media VPs that require a current 3.6.10 build. Fix that, then tell us if there's still a problem.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

As you all can read. I'm trying 3.6.9 stable as a build to put it to the test. To look if there is any difference. And there isn't. In fact I running the previous months nightly builds and trunk versions. So that can't be the problem. The problem is that it exists in all scenarios. Coming to the video drivers. On a Mac you haven't a thing as drivers like on windows. You have drivers, yes, but you have in a handful scenarios really to do fuss with them. It really for an end user as getting the latest Mac OS X version, nothing more. And both things can cleary rulled out as potentials, as you can read already.

Offline Echelon9

Since I upgraded to these media vp's I get a nice white bright background when I'm in mission. So nice isn't it?! No, not really.
Running currently with version nightly-r5004, but it happens as well with n-r4870, n-r4985, n-r4989 and n-r4999 as well as 3.6.9.

Code: [Select]
Opened log '/Users/dwlnetnl/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log', Wed Dec 17 14:32:53 2008 ...
FreeSpace version: 3.6.10
Passed cmdline options:
  -normal
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1280x1024 with 32-bit color...
  Initializing SDL...
  Requested SDL Video values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, double-buffer: 1
  Actual SDL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, double-buffer: 1
  OpenGL Vendor     : ATI Technologies Inc.
  OpenGL Renderer   : ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL Engine
  OpenGL Version    : 2.0 ATI-1.5.36
  Compiling shader ->  null-v.sdr / null-f.sdr ...
  Compiling shader ->  b-v.sdr / b-f.sdr ...

Ah yes. This is the very unfortunate OS X build bug with the new shader (GLSL) feature.

At current, if you use a 3.6.10 nightly with the GLSL feature compiled in (any since about July 2008), have the graphic content that enables shaders in game from the MediaVPs and enabled on the command line you will only see a horrible white skybox/ship texture when using full screen. You can confirm this is the problem in question by opening the Techroom and you should see the ships have these odd whited out textures.

No fix is known, and the same code base works fine under OpenGL on Windows and Linux.

Your best option is to take the shaders.vp file out of /Applications/Games/FS2_Open/ (or where ever you've installed it) if it is in a standalone .vp archive. This is what I've done with the 3.6.10 mediavp beta. This will remove shaders in-game, but pretty much every other 3.6.10 MediaVP improvement will be working.

You could also disable the GLSL / normal map features on the command line OR play in windowed mode to see the shaders in effect (but windowed mode has always produced FPS underperformance to the point of making in-game too chuggy). Have a search around the forums for the steps others have taken.

There's lots of us (myself included) who use Macs and hate this problem. Unfortunately, it's such an odd bug and no one with the necessary OpenGL expereience has been able to propose a patch to the codebase to fix it yet. Not for lack of trying though.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:52:21 pm by Echelon9 »

Offline CaptJosh

It doesn't matter that you're trying to test. Using 3.6.9 builds with 3.6.10 media vps invariably fails to function as expected. Don't mix the two. You're creating more problems that way.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

It doesn't matter that you're trying to test. Using 3.6.9 builds with 3.6.10 media vps invariably fails to function as expected. Don't mix the two. You're creating more problems that way.

As I begin repeating myself, it's solely for testing purposes, nothing more - you don't modify the media vp's (from my knowledge). It's a time ahead that I've playing with the 3.6.9 stable version, okay?! Let's puts it one more time, now for last: 1 try for testing purposes and it didn't make any difference. So please take down that argument anymore. It's not relevant and there is no need for mention it anymore. Thank you.