Author Topic: $Name and special characters (#, @ and any others??)  (Read 2765 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
$Name and special characters (#, @ and any others??)
I think $Name entry in Ships.tbl and Weapons.tbl, (and any other table???), should contain the description about the special characters you can use in it.

I don't mind updating Wiki myself but I'm no expert.

This is my little knowledge about these characters:

• #. It's used in the middle of the name. It makes the right part of the name not being shown in the ship/weapon class info of the target window, (or beside the target brackets in FS_Open builds). It allows making different versions of a ship or weapon while showing the same class name inside the game.
    An example from FSPort Freespace 1: "SF Dragon#weakened" ship, used in "Enter the dragon" mission, appears to the player just as another "SF Dragon", although, as its name suggests, it is less powerful than the original one.

• @. It's used at the begining of the name and it doesn't appear ingame in ship/weapon class. What does it do?

• Any others?

Could anyone confirm this info and post a lesson about the rest?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:00:34 am by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: $Name and special characters (#, @ and any others??)
@ Is used to denote ships and weapons that were in the demo.

I don't know of any others.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
;; semicolon can be used anywhere to **** things up

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've made a test with @ and it seems pretty useless...

In FS2 retail ships.tbl you have:

Code: [Select]

$Name:                          @GTDR Amazon
$POF file:                      Drone01.pof
$Closeup_pos:           0.0, -2.0, -49
$Closeup_zoom:          0.5

$Name:                          GTDR Amazon Advanced
$POF file:                      Drone02.pof
$Closeup_pos:           0.0, 19.0, -190

Over that table I've used the next -shp.tbm which switches @ between both ships:

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name:  GTDR Amazon
+nocreate
$POF file: Drone02.pof
$Closeup_pos:           0.0, 19.0, -190

$Name:  @GTDR Amazon Advanced
+nocreate
$POF file: Drone01.pof
$Closeup_pos:           0.0, -2.0, -49

#End

And voilà, you end with an Amazon looking like an Amazon Advanced, and vice versa.

So it really seems that @ is fully useless.

Could someone confirm it? Or does it have another kind of hidden effect?
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

@ Is used to denote ships and weapons that were in the demo.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The game does not read the '@' at all.
You can use it to mark ships, that say, are placeholders in your mod or something.
Its essentially like a comment, but only a single character.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

/* Comment */ as well.
-C

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

/* Comment */ as well.

Thanks guys, but I don't think they are $Name special characters but general ones.

OTOH there's just one question missing. Is there any other table, (but ships.tbl and weapons.tbl), where # and @ can be also used?

EDITED

Done. Ships.tbl and Weapons.tbl modified in Wiki
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:15:47 pm by ARSPR »