Author Topic: The Vasudans of Sol  (Read 6971 times)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey didn't one of the briefing's or debriefing's in FS1 said that both Vasudans and Terrans have gathered all available warships in SOL in order to mount an effective defence against the Lucy ???

If' im not mistaken that would mean at least a couple of cruisers perhaps even a destroyer would be based in SOL vasudan ones i mean !

Don't take this for good since i can remember exactly  if they were based in sol or outside SOL in a blockade!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
In Sol is in Sol, so they were in the Sol system.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hey didn't one of the briefing's or debriefing's in FS1 said that both Vasudans and Terrans have gathered all available warships in SOL in order to mount an effective defence against the Lucy ???

No.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5

If' im not mistaken that would mean at least a couple of cruisers perhaps even a destroyer would be based in SOL vasudan ones i mean !

Don't take this for good since i can remember exactly  if they were based in sol or outside SOL in a blockade!
I'm pretty sure they said the opposite !

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Wasn't there a plot element of MindGames concerning the Vasudan remnants in Sol?

Yep. It's a major part of the plot line for the mod.

I doubt there were enough Vasudans to make a breeding population.

The popuation you need to maintain a species is much lower than you'd expect. There is significant evidence that the human population was reduced to somewhere between 2000 and 20,000 people by the Toba supervolcano. Which means that a destroyer or two would have a breeding population.

But even that is a high estimate. Every single Californian Condor in the world is a descendant of the 22 birds that were still alive 20 years ago.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
To be absolutely honest, I never really thought about if there were Vasudans on Earth.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
To be absolutely honest, I never really thought about if there were Vasudans on Earth.
Then you are not a true FreeSpacer.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Earth doesn't necessarily mean Sol.

IMHO those Vasudans, despite the Alliance and their encouraging efforts, would suffer the almighty power(:doubt:) of racism...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
My favorite vision of Sol after the isolation is complete anarchy.

Offline Narvi

Wasn't there a plot element of MindGames concerning the Vasudan remnants in Sol?

Yep. It's a major part of the plot line for the mod.

I doubt there were enough Vasudans to make a breeding population.

The popuation you need to maintain a species is much lower than you'd expect. There is significant evidence that the human population was reduced to somewhere between 2000 and 20,000 people by the Toba supervolcano. Which means that a destroyer or two would have a breeding population.

But even that is a high estimate. Every single Californian Condor in the world is a descendant of the 22 birds that were still alive 20 years ago.

Still, the Vasudan presence wouldn't be very significant. Even assuming that they allowed the Vasudans to maintain two destroyers in Sol (unlikely, considering the potential security risk, and the reduced force projection, I'm more inclined to think cruisers were allocated there for defense)  and assuming they got their own colony somewhere, that's still less than a hundred thousand Vasudans in Sol. A drop in the bucket amongst the ocean of a few billion humans.

This is fertile ground for fanfiction though. You'd have an interesting logistical problem; do you let them settle on Earth, in their own community? How do you school the young? Are the Vasudan scientists going to spill all of their classified secrets now that they realize they are stranded? How do they integrate, since they are outnumbered by several orders of magnitude? Will they suffer institutionalized racism? How will the Vasudan superiority complex suffer minority status? Lots of fun stuff.

Yes, but Vesudan' mating habits probably are more alike to that of the Terrans then to that of the Californian Condor.

(Or atleast, I hope so :nervous:)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm feeling a certain image right about now.  ;7

My guess is a mini-GTVA would have developed.  Eventually.

Since there were some Vasudans in Sol, my guess is the initial xenophobia and panic after the collapse would have forced the Vasudans into the outer areas.  Neptune, Pluto, Uranus, etc. since the humans didn't quite want to mingle so freely.

Earth, Mars, and Venus all go independent, then they quickly unify under a federalist government with a large degree of planetary autonomy similar to the United States, Ceres quickly joins since they are scared of the Jovians and Saturnians, who have unified into a semi-fascist government, and the Vasudans are setting up in the outer reaches, mining the Kuiper Belt, coexisting peacefully with the humans there, and they form their own government similar to the United Kingdom in structure and distribution of power, just no hereditary monarchs (Vasudans like Parliaments, and the humans out there probably hate any sort of hereditary leadership, kings, emperors, and nobles so a compromise is struck).  And trade quickly springs up between the Earth-based and the Pluto-based governments once they realize the other exists, and they get along well.  The Jovians and the Saturnians are not amused, and decide take the solar system by force.  War ensues, they are defeated, and the Vasudans and Terrans decide to make the bonds forged in that war even stronger by completely unifying under the banner of the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.

And serious problems ensue when the Delta Serpentis-Sol node is opened, since there can be only one Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.  And the Sol one is set up quite differently than the Beta Aquilae one since it is set up more like the United States where the Beta Aquilae GTVA has more in common with the U.N.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
Is is just me or does it sound like someone has a campaign in the works?  ;7
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
My guess is a mini-GTVA would have developed.  Eventually.

Since there were some Vasudans in Sol, my guess is the initial xenophobia and panic after the collapse would have forced the Vasudans into the outer areas.  Neptune, Pluto, Uranus, etc. since the humans didn't quite want to mingle so freely.

Earth, Mars, and Venus all go independent, then they quickly unify under a federalist government with a large degree of planetary autonomy similar to the United States, Ceres quickly joins since they are scared of the Jovians and Saturnians, who have unified into a semi-fascist government, and the Vasudans are setting up in the outer reaches, mining the Kuiper Belt, coexisting peacefully with the humans there, and they form their own government similar to the United Kingdom in structure and distribution of power, just no hereditary monarchs (Vasudans like Parliaments, and the humans out there probably hate any sort of hereditary leadership, kings, emperors, and nobles so a compromise is struck).  And trade quickly springs up between the Earth-based and the Pluto-based governments once they realize the other exists, and they get along well.  The Jovians and the Saturnians are not amused, and decide take the solar system by force.  War ensues, they are defeated, and the Vasudans and Terrans decide to make the bonds forged in that war even stronger by completely unifying under the banner of the Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.

And serious problems ensue when the Delta Serpentis-Sol node is opened, since there can be only one Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance.  And the Sol one is set up quite differently than the Beta Aquilae one since it is set up more like the United States where the Beta Aquilae GTVA has more in common with the U.N.

Have you played Blue Planet? It might interest you.

Yeah I played Blue Planet.  Well until it crashed on me as I tried to see what my ship and loadout were when I was flying the Vishnan fighter for the first time.  And then I lost interest due to my short attention span.

@Retsof: No.  I have no idea how to make campaigns for Freespace or Freespace 2.  I have no idea how to FRED or TBL edit.  So it would suck, be poorly done, and have the worst balance ever.  Plus it would never be released with me constantly adding to the backstory and ship selection as my FRED and .tbl knowledge grew.  Besides, something like that would need voice actors for the English-speaking Vasudans with British accents.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You need to finish Blue Planet.

Offline eliex

Definitely.  ;)

I now wonder how the Vasudans (having a great importance in their culture) might have integrated their culture with the Terrans.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hey, Vasudans are more pacifistic than Terrans, right?

Spoiler:
Remember the way the UEFg Renjian responded to the GTD Orestes' demand to power down? Sounds pretty Vasudan if you ask me. ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:13:25 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Never mind this here post!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:09:36 am by General Battuta »