Author Topic: Warp in/out animation problem  (Read 20307 times)

Offline Sololop

Warp in/out animation problem
I've noticed I have a problem with ships jumping in and out since I have started using FSO a week or so ago. Basically, when a ships warp hole appears, the ship is visible behind it with no animations such as glowing engines, and it comes through activating the engines, etc. The same thing happens when they warp out, they are visible as they pass through the rift, and then once 100% through, they blip out of existence. I have a screenshot showing a  Ravana departing. It is already mostly through the rift, and looks dumb to me.  I am using FSO 3.6.10, and none of the MediaVPs.

[attachment stolen by Slimey Goober]

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: Warp in/out animation problem
I heard about this bug a while ago, but I don't know if there's a Mantis issue about it yet.  If not there should be.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
What revision of 3.6.10 are you running.  I remember seeing that as well bug thought it was fixed. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think I saw this on a recent build within the last month or two, so it may still be around.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Sololop

Not sure what revision I am using, the entire filename is fs2_open_3_6_10d-20081216_r5005.exe, im guessing r5005=revision 5005?

Edit: Just downloaded the latest build (5032) and there is no change is this bug.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:06:06 pm by Sololop »

Offline Chrisatsilph

• All aboard the GTVA Powerlax!
fs2_open_3_6_10d-20081216_r5005.exe is the debug version of freespace 2, Try the fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081216_r5005.exe. Might work on the normal one.

Offline Sololop

Yeah, copied-pasted wrong one, I am using the real one. Sorry for the confustion.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Those kind of bugs typically manifest in both debug and regular builds anyway.  Wouldn't expect the luck to be any better.

Offline Sololop

I couldn't find this in the Mantis. Think I should put it in, or is it well enough known?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Links at the top of this board, this forum and in the sig right above your last post. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I've noticed I have a problem with ships jumping in and out since I have started using FSO a week or so ago. Basically, when a ships warp hole appears, the ship is visible behind it with no animations such as glowing engines, and it comes through activating the engines, etc. The same thing happens when they warp out, they are visible as they pass through the rift, and then once 100% through, they blip out of existence. I have a screenshot showing a  Ravana departing. It is already mostly through the rift, and looks dumb to me.  I am using FSO 3.6.10, and none of the MediaVPs.

That Ravana also appears to be warping in backwards.

Probably just a matter of fixing the "fvec" vector in the WE_Default class. IIRC there was some issue with dotprod being negative in certain cases or somesuch.

As a general rule of thumb you should put bugs in mantis even if they are "well known" (which generally only lasts for as long as people are talking about it). Not only does it offer a visual record of the bug being fixed, it can be consulted for the solution that somebody used to fix the bug or who actually reported the bug or who was experiencing the bug, plus the coder that was working on the bug, so that if there is no progress, somebody can quickly e-mail everybody to ask "Is this still a problem? Are you still working on this?"

So that is a definite yes to putting the bug in mantis.
-C

Offline Echelon9

I've seen this too with recent builds.

In both the main FS2 campaign and blueplanet.

Offline Sololop

@WMCoolmon, the Ravana is not warping in backwards, it is jumping out, but already passed through the rift but did not vanish, it will stay visible until the rift almost closes, then blip out of existence.

I should also add, that although you cannot target it when it is through the rift, warships will still fire their turrets at it until the "blip" occurs.

Also, I attempted to make an account on Mantis but have yet to receive the email to activate the account. Been over a day...(Waits patiently)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:19:10 pm by Sololop »

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Also, I attempted to make an account on Mantis but have yet to receive the email to activate the account. Been over a day...(Waits patiently)

I'm waiting now for months for the activation mail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Same thing for me. Actually, I'm waiting for two activation mails(I created two separate accounts).

:blah:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Same thing for me. Actually, I'm waiting for two activation mails(I created two separate accounts).

:blah:

Well, i created several accounts from different email accounts.
The good thing is, after a while, it resets/ deletes the account, so i can try to register again.
The bad thing...well, guess...   :D

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
if your stuck for a mantis account then ask a mod or someone to create it for you and pm the password or just leave it empty , as i remeber i think goober created my account after i failed a few times to get one set up....
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah it pretty much doesn't work, I almost feel bad asking people to mantis it when I know they probably can't get an account.  It's usually more of a plea for someone with an account to do it.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yeah it pretty much doesn't work, I almost feel bad asking people to mantis it when I know they probably can't get an account.  It's usually more of a plea for someone with an account to do it.
It's supposed to go through the GW server since I set up all of the authorization stuff on it so e-mails wouldn't get blocked from the mail server.  Looks like Mantis is setup wrong for using that however, as it fails the SPF check since the mail doesn't actually go through GW but merely uses the e-mail address.  So, any server that hardfail's SPF will discard the message as spam.

Mantis just needs to be fixed to use GW SMTPS and that should prevent so many discarded/missed Mantis emails for everybody.

Offline Sololop

I see... :blah:  Well, consider this a plea. Anyone with a functional Mantis account, could you add this to it? Full information is:

Jump in-Warp rift appears, ship is created behind the rift, and passes through, instead of slowly emerging from the rift. Warping out-Warp rift appears, ship passes through completely, and does not slowly vanish into the rift, but is 100% visible as it completely goes through the rift, and as the rift starts to close, it will eventually disappear all at once. During the warp out, until the ship disappears, it is not targetable, but AI ships will still shoot at it.

I can get more screenshots if needed.

Thanks so far for all the feedback.  :D