Author Topic: Crash on latest 3.6.10  (Read 6402 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Crash on latest 3.6.10
It may have loaded, the question is did it actually do anything? There's a very good chance that the game simply went "No such variable" and the function returned without actually modifying the variable.

And unless you're certain that this mission was never notepadded you can't be certain FRED is to blame. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You can't progress past this mission if the code doesn't work. I've never notepadded this particular mission. The vanishing @ used to happen all the time. It was one of the regular bugs along with reseting exits from fighterbay to hyperspace and screwing up special explosions (which also used variables incidentally). This all led to the great FRED save lottery. Although the odds of winning and getting a working mission were generally a lot worse than winning the lottery.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:25:08 pm by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
It may have loaded, the question is did it actually do anything? There's a very good chance that the game simply went "No such variable" and the function returned without actually modifying the variable.

And unless you're certain that this mission was never notepadded you can't be certain FRED is to blame. :p

I thought the same thing but it does work and the correct messages based on that variable do play.  I also tested to see if you can do that without using notepad in 3.6.9 and it will let you and there is no warning as long as what you type is a variable that is defined.  All you do is add the modify variable and type the name in instead of selecting it from the list.  It still shows up as data but FS2 treats it as a variable.  3.6.10 will also let you type the name it but then you get that error when you exit the event editor or try to save. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Hello guys,

sorry for posting on this old topic, but:

I'm currently playing the Raider Wars Campaign and as mentioned in the first post, the game crashes. I have to use build 3.6.10 as the old 3.6.9 is somehow not working on my system (Windows 7 Ultimate x64, GeForce 8800GTS 640MB, 4GB RAM, Athlon X2 5200+) - but thats another thing to deal with.

Please, I'm just asking for guidance or any hint on what file I have to modify to get this to work - I really like the mod and want to finish the missions.

Thanks in advance,

ThE_-_BliZZarD

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Do you have the Zathras mod installed? If yes, does the campaign still crash?

If it does, please use the debug build (fs2_open_3_6_10d or similar) that came with Zathras, run the mission that is giving you trouble, and then post the fs2_open.log from the data folder in your TBP directory.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I'm guessing it's M9 and that is fixed in Zathras. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

No, I did not have Zathras - but now I have. My Problem is gone now. Thank you for this useful tip :)

But: Why isnt this information included on the TBP DVD (I installed it via this DVD) or anywhere else? Shouldnt Zathras Mod be a standard for this installation helpers?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Problem is that the DVD release was finished long before the Zathras project even started.
There will be a new DVD, but until then, manual installs are necessary.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns