Author Topic: UV Mapped AND Tiled  (Read 10639 times)

Is it possible to have a model where parts of it are tiled and parts are not? And how is this done? For that matter, how is tiling done? I'm using 3ds max and so far I've only ever been able to export a mapped single texture model.

Two ways possible:

First, the less expensive, fewer textures route:

First the repeating texture must go from one side of the image to the other side.  For example you want a repeating texture that goes horizontal, like a landing    bay floor.  The floor texture would go from the left side all the way to the right side.  In max then you can adjust the repetition count as much as you want. 

Here's an example, the landing strip and walls can be repeated as many times as needed.

Second route is to seperate the textures out.  The repeating tiled texture would be on it's own image.  It's easier to do but not recommended if you have lots of repeating textures.  This is basically how the original freespace 2 is done.  Also note if you want to add glowmaps and normal mapping this method may prove to be more time-consuming.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
You can see on the retail Lucifer, Aten, and Cain that :v: used a UV map for some areas and a tile map for others. This is a decent trade-off if full UV mapping is intimidating.

Like Scooby says, with clever layouts you can get the detail and efficiency of both. I used this technique on the high-poly Karnak--take a look at the texture, and how it's applied to the model with repetition.

To apply more than one material in Max, you need a multi-subobject material in your material editor, and you need to assign Material IDs on a per-polygon basis that correspond to the texture you're using. There are tutorials online, but that should help you know what to search for.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try.

Offline SeeNeYe

To apply more than one material in Max, you need a multi-subobject material in your material editor, and you need to assign Material IDs on a per-polygon basis that correspond to the texture you're using.

Hi everyone,

We've done a model that works fine in Freespace SCP, with one texture (2048x2048), some parts of it are reduced to maximum on the uvmap and at the beginning we've just apply to it a pure color in the uvmap.

Now that we have see this thread, we wanted to try to tile these parts and modify the model within 3DSmax with a multi-subobject material and Material ID assignment. The result is fine in 3DSmax.

We've got 5 materials in the multi-subobject material, with different bitmap textures assigned.

The matter is that in freespace, only the first material of the multi-subobject is visible, all the rest in invisible. However, all the textures have been stored in the maps folder.

I wonder if it is not a texture size issue, as for the moment, it is not "freespace2 compliant" :

The sizes of the 4 other textures added to the uv main map are :

570x570 (resized to 1024x1024???), 428x360 (resized to 512x512???), and 3072x2304 (ouch ! resized to... 4096x4096???).

Of course i'll try to standardize the texture sizes, i just wanted to know if this issue may result in invible textures ingame ?

Thanks in advance for your responses !

Peace
-----------------
The Thuth is a pathless land

Are you using the Collada converter for pcs2?

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline SeeNeYe

Yes sir !
-----------------

Oh I think I see the answer...

Most games required textures to be a factor of 2   2,4,8,16,32,64, 128,256......1024, 2048.  Freespace included.  You'll need to resize them to fit the nearest one. 
Also might not hurt to combine some of those textures into one larger one.   AkA  1@1024 is better than 2@512.

Offline SeeNeYe

Okay, thanks i'll tryout that when I come back home !
-----------------

Also try to keep them below 4096, not everyone has 1GB video cards.

Offline SeeNeYe

:D Sure, it was just a test... i don't think that it will even exceed 1024x1024 at the end.
-----------------

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Also try to keep them below 4096, not everyone has 1GB video cards.
I don't think that there's need for higher-res maps than 4096... :doubt:
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

you say that because you never saw my new nav buoy  ;7
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline SeeNeYe

Well, this is definitely a texture size issue as I tryout with a dummy white.tga and black.tga and it  works perfectly, Thanks Scoob !!  :yes:
-----------------

Offline SeeNeYe

:sigh:

I've completely redone the textures, and I'm now "freespace2-compliant", the sizes are 16x16 or 256x256.

In 3DS, depending on the material, the factor of tiling is 5, 10, 1000, and up to 10000.

The problem is that ingame, i don't really see the textures, instead I see some pure color scheme that barely correspond to the textures main colors !

Someone got an idea about that issue ? Is there any correlation with the factor of tiling set in 3ds ?

Thanks in advance !  :nod:
-----------------

Offline Water

The problem is that ingame, i don't really see the textures, instead I see some pure color scheme that barely correspond to the textures main colors !
Really small texture sizes have that problem. The colours get averaged out to one colour from a distance.

Offline SeeNeYe

Really small texture sizes have that problem. The colours get averaged out to one colour from a distance

I see what you mean but the problem is present even with 256x256 textures...
-----------------

How many repetitions are you using?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
View menu -> Show mapping... or something like that, I don't remember exactly what it says.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

View menu -> Show mapping... or something like that, I don't remember exactly what it says.

If your referring to Max, it's Views->Activate all Maps