Author Topic: NuY-Wing  (Read 61184 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Well unless anyone has any major issues, we have the final NuY Map here:

Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Damn, that's pretty freakin' pro.

You know it occurs to me you folks have some trailer building material.

Rebel Strikeforce attack on an ISD?  Eh?  Eh?

Seriously though, amazing work brandx.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Lovely work. Again. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Looks positively stunning! Never seen a Y-wing look more beautiful. :yes:

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Looks great.  No issues here but I do have a question.  Are you going to have it set up to allow color changes?  Could be useful for multi. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Fantastic.  I do have a general question though: are you planning to include 3D cockpits in the first release?  The Raptor interior that the Diaspora team showed off looks freaking awesome, but it's also understandable if that sort of thing isn't a top priority.  Anyway really, really great work.

Can't say enough good words on your work, b!
Plain awesome!

One question though: Will we see an "armored" variant?
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Well unless anyone has any major issues, we have the final NuY Map here:

not major, but i think it is a *little* too 'light' and a slightly darker texture would be better

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I tend to agree on the yellow stripes, but the rest of it is about right.

Exhibit A

Considering the yellow bands are probably their own layer/mask/etc anyway, I wouldn't worry too much.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Mmh, I agree that the yellow is almost imperceptible, and I can hardly see the blue on the sides and the cockpit. Let's not forget that those photographs should be used for geometry reference, as the lighting might not be optimal.

For the record, this is how Lucas Publishing photographed the Y-Wing for Star Wars Chronicles.

We've established this is the BTL-A4 Y-Wing. Can you make a slight variation for the BTL-S3? The ion cannons on that model are unlocked and used as a turret, so the geometry needs to be adjusted for full 360 degree rotation with a 180 degree field of view. It would be tricky to pull off but I think you can do it. Clone Wars used a bubble turret on the BTL-B, which is a variation from McQuarrie's original concept so if you want to go that route, there's plenty of material to back you up.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:54:13 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline maje

I thought that Clone Wars used the BTL-S3 before it was stripped down, because as far as I know, the A4 is the only Y-wing that ever had any visual depiction that I'm aware of.

Back on topic, that's one great looking fighter, brandx0.  The patience with dealing with the subtleties of little bits and pieces of exposed sections of the Y-wing are what really make this model shine.  You really have a great eye for the little details.

I have been thinking this over for a while since I've been busy at work and 3D burnout for the past month or so, and if not to impose, would offer over all the files I've had on the Z-95 mark II including the PSDs.  I did plan on redoing the textures in early May, but if you're interested, I would be honored.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
I wouldn't mind retexturing it if that's what you're asking, it'd give me a nice little side project to work on while I figure out my next big endeavor
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I was just taking a second close look and noticed something doesn't seem quite right with the R2 unit.  Can't place what it is but it's definitely change from the one in the "starting to get dirty" pic.  Other then the color change that is.  Could just be looking from a different direction.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well, I upped the saturation on the colour markings, hopefully everyone's happy now

Also, the R5 unit hasn't changed other than colours.

Also decided to do a comparison between this and the old one: 

NuY-Wing:  4300 polies

Old Y-Wing:  7800 polies.  Less Accurate, worse map, all in all a much more amateur product

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Looks fine in that pic.  Must have just been the angle. Made the detail look kind of flat compared to the view from the previous pic.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That old one did have a cockpit though...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Good thing you volunteered to make it chief =P

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

Wow. Just... wow. Brand, you are the freak'n MASTER! lol :yes: ;) Amaaaazing.

PLEASE tell me you'll have cockpit views for this bad boy (and all other craft :D) that look this good. :p

We've established this is the BTL-A4 Y-Wing. Can you make a slight variation for the BTL-S3? The ion cannons on that model are unlocked and used as a turret, so the geometry needs to be adjusted for full 360 degree rotation with a 180 degree field of view. It would be tricky to pull off but I think you can do it. Clone Wars used a bubble turret on the BTL-B, which is a variation from McQuarrie's original concept so if you want to go that route, there's plenty of material to back you up.
Absolutely! We need to have the two seater S3 model. ;) We know the pilot and the WSO sit back-to-back a la T-47, but other than that, I believe the only other differences from the A4 model is that the cpu systems aft of the pilot in the A4 model are non existent or abbreviated (I have to refresh my memory) to allow more room for the WSO in the S3 and the cockpit (and entire forward command section?) is extended a bit to better accommodate him/her. I wish LFL would release some concrete schematics on the S3 model detailing the differences they've only described.

Also, I'd love it if the "off-the-assembly-line" version of the A4 was remade. That was stunning. It'd be great if the A4 Longprobe was implemented, as well. :D

I thought that Clone Wars used the BTL-S3 before it was stripped down, because as far as I know, the A4 is the only Y-wing that ever had any visual depiction that I'm aware of.
That was most likely a much earlier model that was all it's own, the BTL-B. A straightforward, good ol' fashioned bomber. :) The "just-off-screen" two seater BTL-S3 model (and single seater BTL-A4) were most likely stripped down versions of their respected model.

I was just taking a second close look and noticed something doesn't seem quite right with the R2 unit.  Can't place what it is but it's definitely change from the one in the "starting to get dirty" pic.  Other then the color change that is.  Could just be looking from a different direction.
The antennae is missing? :p I'd prefer it if the R5 unit was restored to red. I just think it looks better. ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:00:54 pm by Vector Leader »
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Frankly, the Clone Wars bends canon so much anyway, and then there's almost no canon information given about the Y-wings in that episode.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!