Author Topic: Dead Rising for Wii  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I've haven't heard any reviews of it but I've seen two webcomics making fun of it.

http://www.fanboys-online.com/index.php
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/

So what's up with it? Does it have a lack of zombies or something? Anyone has a clue about it?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The graphics are poor, there are very few zombies onscreen at one time (as opposed to hundreds in the other versions), the story and physics have been gutted, and the gameplay is limited.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
The graphics are poor, there are very few zombies onscreen at one time (as opposed to hundreds in the other versions), the story and physics have been gutted, and the gameplay is limited.

IMO, there are 'serious' consoles and 'recreational consoles'. Anyone who calls the Wii a gimmick (like some of my friends) I think is unfair, it's a recreational console, designed for everyone. Games like Dead Rising just weren't meant for a recreational console such as the Wii, as the majority of the Wii's users are 'Casual' Gamers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I concur -- if they're going to bring Dead Rising to the Wii, they should redesign it from the ground up for a different kind of console, instead of producing a bad port.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I think treating the Wii like a toy is stupid. 3rd party developers are making a big mistake.
They put their least talented teams on the Wii, since from a hardware point of view it is the "weakest platform"...
...very idiotic. I've only recently come to think like this thanks to these articles:
http://malstrom.50webs.com/

Ever since the NES it was proven that generation=!=hardware. The NES was the least accomplished platform and it tanked the competition. The Wii may do the same in time. Granted it will take a couple of years - lets say 5 years - but it will do. The Wii will show up in a lot of places that you'd consider "non-gamer"...and it will eventually become more mainstream than "hardcore gaming" is now.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I think treating the Wii like a toy is stupid. 3rd party developers are making a big mistake.
They put their least talented teams on the Wii, since from a hardware point of view it is the "weakest platform"...
...very idiotic. I've only recently come to think like this thanks to these articles:

Ever since the NES it was proven that generation=!=hardware. The NES was the least accomplished platform and it tanked the competition. The Wii may do the same in time. Granted it will take a couple of years - lets say 5 years - but it will do. The Wii will show up in a lot of places that you'd consider "non-gamer"...and it will eventually become more mainstream than "hardcore gaming" is now.

But the Wii just can't support hardcore gaming, it's specs just aren't designed for a massive multi player frag fest

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

But the Wii just can't support hardcore gaming, it's specs just aren't designed for a massive multi player frag fest

Massive multiplayer != hardcore gaming
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Is Wii a graphical powerhouse? No.   Can it look pretty if you put effort into it?  Hell yeah; games like Twighlight Princes, Okami and Metroid Prime 3 prove it can be very pretty despite the lack of horsepower.  In addition when the motion controls are implemented properly it can make for a very appealing experience for hardcore games that can't be replicated on a 360 or PS3.  It takes a little getting used to but a well put together FPS using the Wii Remote can be very fun and immersive.  I tend to think the lack of "hardcore" games for the Wii has more to do with 3rd party publishers putting their third stringers into development then the limitations of the platform.  The games for Wii that have been well crafted have all been very fun and leads me to believe the potential of the platform far exceeds its lack of Umph.  Plus it's the only platform in my experience that we can have a family get together power up the machine and find something for everyone to enjoy.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The catch with increasing graphical prowess is that it can only be increased so far before it ceases to have any discernible impact on fundamental gameplay mechanics.  For my money, that threshold was crossed with the previous generation of consoles (and their equivalent PC titles), not the current one.  There's no argument that the transition from the earliest consoles (Atari 2600 era) to something like the NES allowed for all sorts of brand-new mechanics in gameplay; you could never have created such a tight platformer as Super Mario or a cohesive shooter as Contra on previous hardware iterations.  In turn, the SNES/Genesis generation allowed for far more expansive gameplay environments and more complex mechanics, even delving into the 3D realm with something like the original Star Fox.  The PS1 and N64 were probably the single-biggest innovation, seeing as how they introduced fully-3D environments that opened up entirely new genres of gaming on consoles.  You simply couldn't manage the FMV cutscenes of a Final Fantasy VII, or the immersive environments of Ocarina of Time, on previous hardware.  The PS2/GameCube/XBox generation crossed the one hurdle that previous generations couldn't: it could generate smooth, quasi-realistic 3D character models that could move smoothly and display emotions.  Some of the later games of the previous generation, such as Resident Evil 4 or Shadow of the Colossus, really are stunningly beautiful.

Now, when you look at the 360 or PS3 today...what do they fundamentally deliver that the previous generation couldn't?  Sure, you can manage more realistic ragdoll physics or exploding barrels if your physics processor subroutines are up to snuff, and there's no denying the level of shine and polish you can overlay your worlds with, but in the end, there's nothing you can really do to revolutionize gameplay.  The previous generation managed to expand consoles to essentially every genre under the sun; all you can really do now is smooth out the rough edges.  I think that Nintendo realized this when designing the Wii, which is why they went with hardware that was somewhat more powerful than that of the GameCube yet didn't represent a quantum leap forward.  Instead, they chose to go with the one element that did represent a big gameplay innovation: the control scheme.  It may bother some of us that so many Wiis out there are being used for little more than tennis or bowling, but no one can deny that the strategy has had a massive payoff for Nintendo.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Offline Fenrir

• ?
All that must be part of why I like last gen's consoles better than this gen.