Author Topic: PC Gamepads  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I'm looking to buy a PC gamepad, in order to do some classic gaming.  I've looked at NewEgg, but the only controller that meets my specifications is a Saitek one here, but it seems to have major quality issues with the D-Pad (which I plan to use quite a bit).  Here's what I'm looking for:

-- A good quality D-Pad on the left face
-- Six buttons on the right face
-- At least one control stick
-- Minimum two, preferably four, shoulder buttons
-- Something that can be used as a Start button

Does anyone know of anything that meets those criteria?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Make sure it's a USB pad, I could recommend a Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad!  :yes:

However I use a PS2 gamepad with a convertor to PC/USB. Nearly has the spec you want.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline aRaven

i would go for saitek xbox360 controller.. i have the predecessor...its very precise and im pretty satisfied with it

Offline Tyrian

I definitely like some of the Saitek controllers (the ability to swap the D-Pad and control stick is amazing), but I'd really like something with 6 buttons.  I'm trying to find something as close to a classic Sega/N64 controller as possible.  The Sega controller that I'm thinking of is the six button one; the six buttons are also close enough in placement to the A/B/C buttons on an N64 controller.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I definitely like some of the Saitek controllers (the ability to swap the D-Pad and control stick is amazing), but I'd really like something with 6 buttons.  I'm trying to find something as close to a classic Sega/N64 controller as possible.  The Sega controller that I'm thinking of is the six button one; the six buttons are also close enough in placement to the A/B/C buttons on an N64 controller.

The Gravis Xterminator has the six buttons, 2 trigger buttons underneath and an axis controller on the shoulders (2 shoulders triggers analogue) as well as a start button, a select button, an analogue stick and a digital D-pad. Twelve buttons in all.

Build quality isn't bad either, I've owned one for approximately 10 years and would still be using it if I hadn't lost the USB adapter, what with gameports not working well with Vista. I don't knoiw how available they are though, Like I said I've had mine for 10 years. You may be able to pick one up on Ebay.

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I have a Logitech gamepad that's served me well. It only has four face buttons, but also has four shoulder buttons. I played through Goldeneye and Perfect Dark with it with no problems.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
i happen to own the gamepad tyrian speaks of and i have to say, it blows. it has a massive deadzone that is impossible to change
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Tyrian

Hmm...So it looks like I'm back to square one...

Sig rising...

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
i also own aforementioned logitech game pad and it has served me so well that i now own 3.
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki