Author Topic: Half of Britons don't believe in evolution  (Read 24978 times)

Offline iamzack

Re: Half of Britons don't believe in evolution
Uh, if you are chasing after it, then you are wasting your life.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No. Science isn't capable of proving or disproving the existence of an afterlife.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline iamzack

An afterlife is unlikely.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Uh, if you are chasing after it, then you are wasting your life.

Define "waste".
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
oops my bad, it's been awhile    :doubt:    
What if there really is a god and you have to earn your way to heaven by your conduct in life, but you only know this is certain upon your death, by which it's too late to make your life acceptable for heaven? As opposed to dying and your gone for eternity. If there's even a lisht chance that there is a heaven, isn't it wise to live your life in order to make it there?

I want to point out that according to Christians, all homosexuals go to hell, regardless of whether or not they are a good person. You can change that definition, but then you're just picking and choosing what "going to heaven" really means. Once you are at the point where humans are choosing how you get to heaven, how the heck does this have anything to do with God?

Personally, if there was a God, I think he'd let people into heaven based on whether or not they were a good person, not on petty things like sexual orientation or praying or baptism that we mortals obsess over.

*goes back to attempting to ignore this thread even though its being posted in so often he has to hit the "post" button like 3 times before his reply actually gets through*

Offline Daniel P

• CEO Of Dan Tech

I do believe in an Afterlife.  :p
Modding Freespace 1 and 2 seance 2005.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
How the hell does that work?  No way chance worked with that.

It's possible that the simplest organisms now need 500 amino acids (though I find that unlikely - biochemistry is ased around a much, much smaller number of amino acids - I suspect that the removal of some of them - a lot of them, actually, would probably shorten lifespans and impede functionality, but simple life could probably survive without them). but the fist hyper simplistic chemical replicators probably didn't. And as long as you have some kind of replication going on, chance as we understand it - or at least, as it's understood by the author of your quote there, stops being relevant, and we're into evolution.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline iamzack

oops my bad, it's been awhile    :doubt:    
What if there really is a god and you have to earn your way to heaven by your conduct in life, but you only know this is certain upon your death, by which it's too late to make your life acceptable for heaven? As opposed to dying and your gone for eternity. If there's even a lisht chance that there is a heaven, isn't it wise to live your life in order to make it there?

I want to point out that according to Christians, all homosexuals go to hell, regardless of whether or not they are a good person. You can change that definition, but then you're just picking and choosing what "going to heaven" really means. Once you are at the point where humans are choosing how you get to heaven, how the heck does this have anything to do with God?

Personally, if there was a God, I think he'd let people into heaven based on whether or not they were a good person, not on petty things like sexual orientation or praying or baptism that we mortals obsess over.

*goes back to attempting to ignore this thread even though its being posted in so often he has to hit the "post" button like 3 times before his reply actually gets through*

Actually, Lutherans believe that everyone is going to heaven regardless of sin or belief. God is totally forgiving and stuff

I do believe in an Afterlife.  :p

Me too. But that's it. No chasing. No altering what I do to fit some religion's standards for getting in. Etc.

Me too. But that's it. No chasing. No altering what I do to fit some religion's standards for getting in. Etc.

So why don't you go murder a ton of people, steal all their possessions and live a life of leisure?

Offline iamzack

Sounds good. I'll start with Turambar.

But you've got it backwards. I'm not going to church and praying and blah blah blah. I just do what I'd do anyway if I didn't believe in an afterlife. See the most recently locked thread.

Sounds good. I'll start with Turambar.

:eek2:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

So why don't you go murder a ton of people, steal all their possessions and live a life of leisure?

because that's a total dick move.  just cause there's no reward for behaving doesn't mean you shouldn't behave.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Nope! Christian =! Catholic.

Episcopal church is having a shcism over this very issue right now. Congradulations, you don't know what you're talking about.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Because of an inate knowledge of what is Right and Wrong, and not from a Divine perspective, we are pack animals, the pack will reject that which damages it, therefore we are built with a set of rules that define what is acceptable within that pack.

That same tribal instinct is the very hurdle we have to vault when trying to overcome acceptance of Gays, different races etc, they are not of 'our' pack, therefore part of us treats them with suspicion.

Offline iamzack

because that's a total dick move.  just cause there's no reward for behaving doesn't mean you shouldn't behave.

I'm not going to behave if I'm not rewarded. **** you.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773

Well, to be honest, iamzack did say something about there being no morals.  :p

Better watch your back man.  ;)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

If there's no consequence for your actions, why not be the most self-centered, selfish, ass clown in the universe?

Offline iamzack

If there's no consequence for your actions, why not be the most self-centered, selfish, ass clown in the universe?

There totally is consequence. I'm not going to kill Turambar because I find him useful. I'm not going to mow down some school childrenw ith my mother's car because she would probably make me clean it afterwards.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

this sounds like a job for... .  PHILOSOPHY!!

or, failing that, it's a job for the legal system.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
There's no Divine consequence for them. It takes a fool to believe in an afterlife so strongly as to risk being LAPD'd through the head for it ;)