Author Topic: Pleasantly surprised  (Read 5464 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Last 2 times I decided to see if I could get a multi game I was able to.  I just sat in the lobby for awhile and someone showed up to play both nights.  Last night while our game was going a couple of people even started a second one.  Let's hope it keeps picking up like this.  It would be nice to be able to hit a game when you want without a schedule like this all the time.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
i agree  , i have been in and out of the lobby a few times and met a few ppl , and nowadays i tend to have the fs2dnet window open on my browser and the lobby irc just hoping to catch ppl ,

so letts be more active in the multi section , .....;

becayse we will need all the practice we can get for when squadwars reapears
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
I've been thinking about this for a while, it seems that multi just doesn't appeal to the community anymore...

I don't know if it's because they think it's beyond buggy or just because the unavailability of games... maybe we should start a positive effort on advertising multi or come up with a project for it besides squadwars!

I don't know, maybe some multiplayer campaign with weapons being available according to player's rank or something. :nervous:
Signed, me

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Personally, it's because I prefer strong single player games to multiplayer, and specifically I don't bother with FS2 multi because it's damn frustrating to shoot at ghosts all the time. It's not as bad in FS2 as it is in BtRL, but it's still pretty annoying how the hit detection is immensely susceptible to lag. :blah:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Ballistic weapon ammo issues (and singleplayer) aside, it gets harder when playtesting a mod with weapons specifically tabled to be hard to use... even with n00beasy AI sometimes me and my friend get shot down within seconds~ though my friend tends to last longer since he's the host...

We used to use fs2netd until a VLAN option came along and cut the lag by nine-tenths but the ammo problems remain, at least until after the client's first death...

:doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, well FS2 is a game that is easily ruined by lag, IMO.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Yeah, well FS2 is a game that is easily ruined by lag, IMO.

Show me a game what isn't. :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I think you have been spoiled by games with too little lag :)

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
I think you have been spoiled by games with too little lag :)
I tried to play HMMV with a comp with an 8MB vidcard. No more than the main char moving from A to B (using up all movement points) took approximately 55-60 secs...
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
See, though that was not really about network lag it helped you to put FS2 laggines to proportion, heh. But yea, lag is pretty awful for primaries in FS2. Still, it is the same for everyone (in the long run).
Btw, the lag was there back when FS2 was popular on PXO, but it didn't stop people from playing (though it was a subject to constant *****ing and moaning already then).

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Learn to compensate for the lag.  Even as a client most of my kills are gun kills. 

Now if you really want lag forget to turn debug mode off. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well I sometimes play COD4 on a server with a ping in excess of 300, and I really don't mind. I'm guessing in FS2 countering lag requires some good 'ol Deflection Shooting and good internet.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I learned to play retail on a 56k modem (connected a 48k) A ping of 400 was awesome back then.  Even when I shotgunned 3 modems together and then went to Dual ISDN (whopping 128k) a ping of 250 was good.  I could take out a human opponent in 2 shots.  Got accused of cheating quite a few times and even had to do the math to prove it was possible to get a 2 shot kill (actually just over 1 shot will do it with 8 Kysers).  AI ships are even easier to hit.  If anything I lead them too much in 3.6.10. 

So it is possible you just have to out think your opponent and fire where he is going to be not where the lead indicator says.  Of course that is always the case when playing against other people unless they are stupid and fly in a straight line.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I also used to have to play XvT on a similar setup, pings were a bit better than that in 2000 though, even when I only connected at 33k I could still get around 250-300 pings.  There were a lot of games up on the zone though, way back then.  But XvT's multi code was pretty impressive for its time, it had to be since the game was really a multiplayer oriented game, one of the first of its kind.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I also used to have to play XvT on a similar setup, pings were a bit better than that in 2000 though, even when I only connected at 33k I could still get around 250-300 pings.  There were a lot of games up on the zone though, way back then.  But XvT's multi code was pretty impressive for its time, it had to be since the game was really a multiplayer oriented game, one of the first of its kind.

250-300 is actually quite a reasonable ping. Upwards of 400 though and your better off spending the night replaying Derelict.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah that was my point, I never really had to play with pings quite as bad as FUBAR because of the popularity of the game, but up to 300 is still playable even on a game that old.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic

So it is possible you just have to out think your opponent and fire where he is going to be not where the lead indicator says.  Of course that is always the case when playing against other people unless they are stupid and fly in a straight line.

makes mental note to stop flying in straight lines...... ;)
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Tantalus53

• That one guy with the thing
    • Steam
Been on most of they day, got into two games. Probably would have gotten into a few more if i wasnt idling at my keyboard a while ago... about five people came it at different times    :ick:

good games tantalus, shame captain custard left early

mb another night!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
damn! If only I had known...

are you hosting some other time?
el hombre vicio...