Author Topic: How will concussion missiles and proton torpedoes work?  (Read 21025 times)

Offline TomShak

Re: How will concussion missiles and proton torpedoes work?
I think it was certainly possible to dodge a single concussion missile, or maybe even two, but if someone basically emptied the whole rack into you you were totally stuffed. As I say it didn't happen in singleplayer, because the AI was rather averse to using their missiles, but in multiplayer it was vicious.

I do agree though that you had to fly round in loops to avoid them for too long. This was another huge advantage that missiles gave you in multiplayer ... even if your target could avoid them they had to fly round and round in circles, making them easy pickings once they were in gun range.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
what if we use missiles as a balance mechanic for some ships, IE the y-wing can have a good capacity of around 4 missles/torps, TIE bomber can have 6, to make them a little more attractive in multiplayer.
the TIE avenger/advanced would be relatively superior to the A-wing, but the A-wing has short-range, decent damage 4 concussion missles so that if it gets a good shot, then it can dispse of it quickly.

the misssles themselves should be lost after their first pass

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm seeing a trend here. Did anyone actually like the old TG missile system? Will it be missed if it goes away?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The only thing I liked is that the host could turn off missiles.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I always wondered about those anti-asteroid missiles in Ep 2, seriously, who carries missiles specially designed to be used in case you get into a fight in an Asteroid Belt? That would mean that for 99.9% of the time, they are taking up space, they're probably stacked on the same shelf as Jango's Etiquette Droid disguise and Bantha repellent. That whole scene seemed very 'plot-deviced' for my tastes. Area of Effect on those missiles would also make them useless for most fights in asteroid fields as well, since you'd be as much at risk as your opponent.

I'm going to go with my normal line of thinking, and agree with whoever said the missiles were intended for aiming at large, sluggish vessels, they were included as anti-fighter weapons in the game for (a) content values and (b) to make flying a T/B survivable.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I guess the difficult thing with it all is that in episode 4 the torpedoes are shown to make a very very fast turn down that exhaust port.  Yet missiles are never used against another fighter, so if they're that maneuverable, why not?  Of course if you want to take that example further, it does seem to take quite a long time for them to lock on to the exhaust port
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I always thought that was a ricochet on the blast shielding, kind of like a pool ball going down into a pocket.

Reminds me of the comment 'The port is blast-shielded, so we'll have to use proton torpedoes.' I'd often wondered whether the exhaust shaft itself was made of the same stuff as the garbage compacter, with EM shielding that reflected the energy, since that's the only way I can think of that lasers could have got down there, which was, apparently, only prevented by the blast-shielding.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:46:25 pm by Flipside »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
They said it was ray shielded, which apparently means lasers are useless, but solid objects can pass through, like torpedoes.

Now I guess the other question is that if the shaft was curved like that, what's the point of saying you can't use lasers, they can't curve anyways.  All in all though really it was all a big film setup for them to show luke using the force blah blah blah, because he'd only have one shot at it
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's it, ray shielded :)

Agreed, a lot technical jargon has had to be created in order to justify some of the films little idiosyncrasies, kind of like the explanation of the Kessel run, as was pointed out somewhere on YouTube, a lot of the problems with fans is the fact that simply saying 'Han Solo was drunk in a bar, maybe he just mis-spoke?' was considered too easy, especially when EU writers pick up on those little things and try to expand on them.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah, it's dumb little things like that, so much in the EU screws with the core of the original movies.  Especially dumb **** like the DS2 being controlled by IG88 (I know I keep bringing that up, but cmon, what the ****?)

Anyways, that's one of the problems with sci-fi nitpickers, they take every piece of dialogue as absolute truth.  If someone says it, then it's true.  There's no such thing as exagguration, lying, or verbal slipups

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's dumb little things like that, so much in the EU screws with the core of the original movies.  Especially dumb **** like the DS2 being controlled by IG88 (I know I keep bringing that up, but cmon, what the ****?)
...is there any way you'd be able to elaborate on this a bit, or else provide a link to something that does?  Because I'm more than morbidly curious enough to want to know what the hell you're referring to. :p

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Oh boy...

Destruction over Endor
The remaining droid uploaded his consciousness into a computer core destined for Death Star II. He succeeded in being uploaded, and was preparing to activate his program to take over all droids in the galaxy when it was destroyed. With his consciousness in the Death Star II, he would literally become the Death Star.
Emperor Palpatine was the only person on the Death Star to suspect something was wrong after the uploading of the computer core with IG-88 inside. Before the station's destruction, he noticed a series of doors in his throne room opening and closing sporadically. IG-88 did this to show the Emperor that he was not all powerful. However, IG-88 was utterly baffled when it appeared that Emperor Palpatine used some unseen force to push the doors open.[4]
Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles ended up destroying the core, destroying both the Death Star, and the A.I. of IG-88 as well.

Had the Rebels failed to destroy the station, the end result would have been worse than anticipated - surprisingly, it would have been an ill turn of events for the Empire as well. In the years beforehand, the assassin/bounty hunter droid IG-88 had prepared to launch a droid revolution. The last surviving model, IG-88A, built a duplicate of the Death Star's computer core and switched its fake one for the real system, transferring his consciousness into the computer itself. When the Imperials installed the core, IG-88A literally became the Death Star, with complete access and control to all systems. None of the Imperial personnel knew, although Palpatine suspected a foreign presence when a series of doors in his throne room opened and closed mysteriously.[2]

The destruction of the Death Star could be seen from the surface of Endor.
When the Rebels arrived, IG-88A fired the superlaser at the Rebel fleet when the Death Star gunners sent the signal to do so, letting the Imperials believe they were in control, while he prepared to transmit his master control signal that would cause all droids to turn on their masters. Many times, the aiming points and the firing coordinates of the gunners were slightly off and would have missed their intended targets completely had IG-88 not been in command to guarantee accuracy. When the Death Star core exploded, all power was lost and the destruction of the station wiped out IG-88A for good.[2]

It's from a short story by Kevin J. Anderson called Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88 and unfortunately, it's become canon.

I always thought that was a ricochet on the blast shielding, kind of like a pool ball going down into a pocket.

Reminds me of the comment 'The port is blast-shielded, so we'll have to use proton torpedoes.' I'd often wondered whether the exhaust shaft itself was made of the same stuff as the garbage compacter, with EM shielding that reflected the energy, since that's the only way I can think of that lasers could have got down there, which was, apparently, only prevented by the blast-shielding.
Actually the garbage compactor was magnetically sealed, a little different from ray shields.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Heh they literally established that as canon? I remember thinking WTF? when i read it in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters but never thought they would make it official :D

To be fair though some parts of the EU is excellent, any Zhan's work is leagues ahead of the prequels and the Xwing series is great
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
None of the Imperial personnel knew, although Palpatine suspected a foreign presence when a series of doors in his throne room opened and closed mysteriously.[2]
:lol: That's some F-canon right there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like to pretend everything Kevin J. Anderson wrote never happened, in Star Wars and in Dune.

In ANH the Proton Torpedoes were able to perform a turn calculated at 72000 gs to enter the Death Star exhaust port - I would say they could definitely chase down fighters.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

well then, im going to write a novel making JarJar the next Jedi and it will be canon! just you wait and see! George Lucas will buy the story from me and make his next film based on it and nerds everywhere will be giving praise to the almighty JarJar Binks!

MEESABOMBAD!!!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
In ANH the Proton Torpedoes were able to perform a turn calculated at 72000 gs to enter the Death Star exhaust port - I would say they could definitely chase down fighters.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, just because it happens in a scene in a movie in which it needed to happen doesn't mean that people should jump to a load of conclusions based on it. That way leads to turbo-lasers capable of vaporizing large percentages of a planets hemisphere with a single shot, and armour so powerful that it would shrug off hits from those Turbolasers. Personally, I think this is done purely to win arguments in 'whose favourite imaginary sci-fi race is best?' type situations.

Proton Torpedos should be, in my opinion, what they need to be, big, slow, anti-cap missiles, you don't shoot torpedos at fast targets, concussion missiles, maybe, but even the name 'torpedo' suggests anticap weaponry.

Basically, even if it goes against what many of the 'mega-whopper-turbolaser' clan like to believe, I think torps should be slow, and heavy, and concussion missiles should be fast, but not last as long as they did in XvT etc.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:51:09 am by Flipside »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Well also remember there will be different types of each weapon.  In the battle of endor there's a starship scaled torpedo in the background of one scene (and it glows blue!)  and it's going pretty slow.  On the other hand, Luke's torps still go pretty fast in the DS1 trench run, as do Wedge's in the DSII reactor.  As for concussion missiles, the A-Wing's seem to fire off pretty fast when they blow up the Executor's scanner globes, while the Falcon's seem a bit slower when it hits the reactor.  Once again, concussion missiles and torpedoes are just generic classes of weapons, like gun or missile is used today, so there could be some models of either which are better against fighters than others.  Our goal is to try and flesh out the existing weapon types rather than propagate the secondaries list with crap like "heavy missile" and "space bomb" and "Advanced torpedo" or god forbid "mag pulse missile."  Proton Torpedoes, Concussion Missiles and Proton Bombs should be good enough if there's several types of them