Author Topic: Hitpoint of a moon  (Read 17992 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The way I see it, the subspace weapon isn't a regular beam weapon in that it just blows things up. IMO it just sped up the nuclear reactions in the star or something like that rather than what most people think it does (ie. throwing a quadrillion tons of TNT at it). I doubt the subspace weapon would be useful against ships or planets.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The way I see it, the subspace weapon isn't a regular beam weapon in that it just blows things up. IMO it just sped up the nuclear reactions in the star or something like that rather than what most people think it does (ie. throwing a quadrillion tons of TNT at it). I doubt the subspace weapon would be useful against ships or planets.

That is also possible, and thank goodness that INFR1 is fanon if it is.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Thanks for the welcome, and, ah, the beaming.  Ouchies.  I do miss the old welcome speeches.  But back on topic.

I honestly can't see quite how it would speed up nuclear reactions in the star short of warping space-time in the temporal sense.  If they can do that, well that's a drastic temporal increase in a localized area.  Thus, why even bother with the LREDs?  Just fire the subspace weapon at the GTVA fleet and watch the crew turn to bones and then dust in a few minutes.  If that is true, however, tactics aside, you're right, temporal acceleration would do very little to a solid planetoid.  However, I figured it probably either disrupts space-time in both senses, by forced "collapse", or compression, of space and accompanying temporal dilation (much as happens near a black hole's event horizon), etc, or introduces specific anomalies, be they gravitational or something like a subspace tunnel to remove or introduce material at the core, any of which would be more than sufficient to tear apart a moon.

I do agree, though, that short of a subspace weapon, and maybe multiples of them, you're rather unlikely to find anything in FS2 capable of doing anything more than rendering a reasonably sized solid planetoid uninhabitable (assuming it's not already) and badly cratering - maybe liquefying for a short while - the crust, barring a very, very patient government willing and able to drill out a huge cavity in the core and pack it with meson bombs, or design a super-large one in-place.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
If a moon is one-tenth the size of Vasuda, then it would have 53 485 714 hitpoints.

Remember that it's surface area, not a line.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Or a dot. :nod:

Given the vein of the post that you quoted, Killer Whale, I should also add that the 53 485 714 hitpoints would be spread all over the moon's surface, perhaps like many subsystems covering a core that is indestructible.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

I'd agree to shoving the hitpoints into many subsystems, you could make each one a crustal plate, as I think has already been stated.
But..why would the core be indestructible?  Presumably, if you really felt like pouring enough energy or explosives into it, you could destroy it...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yeah, but keep in mind that the Lucy took 13 hours to completely glass Vasuda. If you scale that down to my theoretical 0.1x moon, it'll take the Lucy 1.3 hours just to glass the moon completely without destroying it.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You realize an idiotic calculation like that doesn't take into account the geology of the moon, the thoroughness of the destruction, the fact that the volume of an object is not equal to its surface area and a myriad of other things...?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
You realize an idiotic calculation like that doesn't take into account the geology of the moon, the thoroughness of the destruction, the fact that the volume of an object is not equal to its surface area and a myriad of other things...?

I know. It's just an estimate. It would be absurd to think that such a calculation can be applied to, say, a hollow asteroid, but it's just a benchmark.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Estimates are fun.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Estimates are fun.

Well, my estimates tend to be rubbish, so it is still quite a moronic calculation at best. :p
My blog

MP-Ryan

Estimates are indeed fun, and in fact, your estimates may work in favor of destructibility in their errors, I only gave them a cursory inspection.
I never did say, though, that it had to be a reasonable amount of time, power, explosives, etc., only that it should be not invulnerable.  It might well be invulnerable for all practical purposes, though (octillions of HP, for example).

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
If Shivans really wanted to completely destroy a planet instead of rendering it uninhabitable, they could just start another supernova. :lol:

Of course...but that's too easy...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
If Shivans really wanted to completely destroy a planet instead of rendering it uninhabitable, they could just start another supernova. :lol:

Collateral damage? That would render the system untraversable.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Maybe for the GTVA, Shivans might have it easier.

Considering that small nebulas can be supernova remnants, and major Shivan forces exist quite happily in a large one...I'm gonna have to say I agree that the Shivans could traverse a post-nova system quite fine, after it cooled down from hull-melting temperatures and the intense radiation dissipated a bit.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Considering that small nebulas can be supernova remnants, and major Shivan forces exist quite happily in a large one...I'm gonna have to say I agree that the Shivans could traverse a post-nova system quite fine, after it cooled down from hull-melting temperatures and the intense radiation dissipated a bit.

But how long would that take?

To be honest, not entirely sure.  I know the processes involved, but I don't know the timescales necessary for everything to cool down to sane levels.  I suspect it might take years or decades, and decades or centuries for the whole thing to hit maximum size and stabilize as a full-blown nebula.

Offline eliex

Doesn't it depend on the class and type of star involved in the supernova?